Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

Me also. I received some email's from him and was being very polite and trying to point him in the proper direction to help him. And then I got a some inappropriate language. This is after taking time out of my day to help. He needs to go. I'm sure I'll get something nasty from him now. Time to block him.

Reactions: ChrisB
Yet you seem to have lots of time to respond to threads and send messages in an immature and foul mouthed manner?

In the end, the guy is a troll and I guess responding to him is only feeding the beast. Hopefully the moderators will catch up with this before too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aight, to get it a bit on track. I found this comparison video with the popular 3.97 vs normal lens on Hero 4 Black.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Does this comparison video do it justice? From what I see the extra lens removes the fisheye effect. And that's about it? Or am I not looking closely enough?

Sorry about that... I have banned him and cleaned up the thread a bit. Please report this type of behavior as the rules apply to all parts of the forum including PM's. I appreciate those who did this time around. Keep in mind the 'ignore' button if someone gets out of hand. Go to the person's profile you want to ignore and you will find the button on their profile page. Click it and you will never see anything from them again.

Carry on. :)

I'll admit I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to lens filters but I know there are significant advantages. I just don't know exactly what the advantages are and what type lens to consider.

Is that video shot only with the lens? Nothing showing the with/without comparison?

Hey @AusTxChris, slightly related since I don't think this kind of filter (a Circular Polarizer) is used on a GoPro (only because you have to rotate the filter to get the right effect, and you can't really do that while flying) but shows what it can do to your images with and without. I posted it on my instagram:

Instagram post by Rikki • Jun 5, 2017 at 11:54pm UTC

I have a Neutral Density (ND) filter on my GoPro which cuts down the light and makes skies and waters a little darker but only use it when it's really bright out.

Just a bit of a follow up to my earllier 3.8mm lens install posts. I finally got around to doing the pink corners delete and I was shocked how much better photos look now. Previously I could sometimes tell the corners were slightly off, they looked simply darker to me more than really pink. But with the Peau profile the photos look sharper and clean and bright from corner to corner. Wish it hadn't been so expensive, but the Peau profile fix really does what it says it will. Very happy with the results.

I also am VERY pleased with the 3.8mm "cheap" lens. Sharp image corner to corner. Here's a video I shot fairly recently, but this was before the pink delete. I'll try to post some new photos later showing the pink delete results.

What year and make is the car? cool video

very happy with the 3.80mm on my GoPro H3+
I think I nailed that focusing 100%
if I use burst photo function to take 30 pictures and then merge them, I can't get anywhere near this detail even with my Sony RX100M3 (1" sensor).

and as for the 3.97mm (which I also received this week), that's not even a contest.

I can't even notice any distortion on 3.80mm whereas the 3.97mm is extremely soft overall and very distorted in corners.

I'll upload some photos and videos for comparison later...

(this is actually exported from Picasa only at 85% quality, the original on my Mac is 9Mb)
(edit: reduced the quality even further, now it's down to 1.6Mb, previous version was loading forever)

View attachment 2844

Pete, what does merging the 30 picture burst shot get you? I'm assuming this is a static shot, so wouldn't all 30 images be the same? Nice picture btw!

Hey @AusTxChris, slightly related since I don't think this kind of filter (a Circular Polarizer) is used on a GoPro (only because you have to rotate the filter to get the right effect, and you can't really do that while flying) but shows what it can do to your images with and without. I posted it on my instagram:

I have a Neutral Density (ND) filter on my GoPro which cuts down the light and makes skies and waters a little darker but only use it when it's really bright out.

nicely done

Would anyone be interested in a group buy of the 3.8mm lens? I'm going to place an order at the end of the week so if anyone wants to get one to save on shipping let me know. The lens is $29.99 each plus $30 shipping will be split up between everyone. If you are interested message me and we can work out the details. Here is a link to the lens 1/2.3" 3.8mm 16Megapixel S Mount M12 Low-Distortion Board Lens for IMX117, Drone lens

Nicely done...

I just got the Yi 4K Camera and was thinking about the 3.37mm lens since the one that is on there now is wider than what I was hoping for
How easy or difficult is it to install the 3.37 and get sharp near focus on this Camera?

I noticed the camera does not have hdmi out like the Sony model so it looks like I would have to use the camera screen to get it focused

Reactions: drift

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986