Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

You don't have to mod the 3.8mm to use on a Ribcage either. Lens flare looks great.

It makes the Ribcage front heavy, so I'd to use almost all the weights on the Deadweight.

This is direct at the sun, and you get the circular flare like you would with an SLR...
lens flare.jpg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
You don't have to mod the 3.8mm to use on a Ribcage either. Lens flare looks great.

It makes the Ribcage front heavy, so I'd to use almost all the weights on the Deadweight.

This is direct at the sun, and you get the circular flare like you would with an SLR...
View attachment 2588

View attachment 2585

everytime i see yours i am leaning more and more to a ribcage air :)

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I cant spend anymore money on my GoPro LOL
so I am just going to make mine look mean and paint it black with my 3.97 fixed lens

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I cant spend anymore money on my GoPro LOL
so I am just going to make mine look mean and paint it black with my 3.97 fixed lens
Yeah spray paint the GoPro front Black or get a stick on skin.

Ribcage solution still gives you the pink cast, right ? Or do they remove it ?
It's nothing to do with any mod or lens, the pink is a digital overlay in the GoPro firmware that is put over the image, only one company (Peau) knows hows to turn it off, but they charge for the service.

The wider the lens the less noticeable is it, with LUTS you can remove much of it in post.

Reactions: pete
It's nothing to do with any mod or lens, the pink is a digital overlay in the GoPro firmware that is put over the image, only one company (Peau) knows hows to turn it off, but they charge for the service.

The wider the lens the less noticeable is it, with LUTS you can remove much of it in post.

yes, I just meant to ask whether Back Bone also know the trick how to turn off that overlay. but I guess that wouldn't make sense if the intensity of the pink cast differs for every different lens attached to the Ribcage. otherwise it's a neat solution as it allows you to mount any new (future/better) M12 lens that may be released.
that 3.80mm lens looks very promising from available videos that I've seen so far, it's just more difficult to install (if you don't go the Ribcage route) than other lenses.
5.4mm, 4.35mm, 4.2mm lenses don't seem to offer any image quality improvement (despite utilizing full sensor) when compared to stock lens cropped to medium FOV, whereas results coming out of 3.80mm lens appear to me more crisp.

The 4.4mm and 4.35mm are sharp so those I do think are nice, I know the flare isn't pretty on the former for sure.

The new 3.97 lens test shoot. Ignore the music, just trying to save you from prop noise.

Really sweet, Pyrate! Now, I can learn something from that one! Give me the lowdown. GP settings, what you did to it. That was really nice! Please give me some info, I'd really like to try to work with that one. Smooth flying, too. And the music was fine with me!

Jerry

You know the hardware for the most part
GPH4 Black with 3.97 lens
Polar Pro ND4 filter

Shooting settings
2.7K 60 wide
Protune on
Flat color
White Balance Native
EV COMP 0
Spot meter off
Sharpness medium

Mostly stick flying actually. The opening fly in was a very large 4 point MPCC

In Post
Processes in Premiere pro CC right out of the camera to a 1920 X 800 59.9 FPS sequence
Warp Stabilizer at 25% when needed (still needs some tweaking)

For Color
The opening sequence was shot on a Panasonic GH3 Mirrorless camera with 14-42mm lens. I used a position key frame to make the camera appear to pan up with solo. It was on a static tripod.
Then a fast color correction layer to try and match the panasonic video to gopro video
On the gopro
All clips have two adjustment layers
1 is a fast color corrector I use that to set white balance and basic tone not much. ( I can save and send the presets I think)
2 is a lumetri color correction layer, on the input lut I use the free Ground Control Free FREE GoPro Protune to Rec.709 LUT. I have a bunch of their pay ones but the free one works fine
I then used that layer to adjust sharpness and do the final tweaking

I tend to like crushed blacks, it might be too much for some.

Reactions: Nerius and J R
here are a couple good videos
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this guy goes deep, masks and much more
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: J R
I tend to like crushed blacks, it might be too much for some.

Thank you much, Pyrate! That will take a great deal for me to absorb but that's meat. Give me a bit of meat and I'm all over it. This is the kind of stuff that can help me. It points me in the right direction, Thank you, so very much. I hope you'll take my questions as I try to replicate it.

Jerry

Reactions: pyrate
fire questions when ready, there are better film makers on here than me though
Hopefully they can provide some insights too.
My learning curve is on going.

Reactions: J R
Nice work! Seems you have the micro vibes under control, best I've seen to date. Thanks for the share, yours and post production help videos.

Reactions: pyrate
Man it was tough for me. I actually liked my 4.4
just tried to trade it for a spare battery charger but got no bites.
So I am going to put the 4.4 in my 3 Black

When they ran that sale, I figured what the heck.
I am guessing there is still a huge markup on that lens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nienha2207