Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

i can't pay for the markup on the lens. i know how much that lens cost from china.

Frank,

You can, you don't want too. All respect, Bro. You'll know more about this lens in 10 minutes than people like me will know in a lifetime. Hell, I'll buy you one if you'll give us all of the details that you can garner from it.

Jerry

Frank,

You can, you don't want too. All respect, Bro. You'll know more about this lens in 10 minutes than people like me will know in a lifetime. Hell, I'll buy you one if you'll give us all of the details that you can garner from it.

Jerry
I'd take him up on the offer @franknitty69

When you look at the markup, consider that they install it, focus it, and remove the color profile. Their time and effort has to be worth something. Maybe it still seems too pricey after you look at it that way, but it's not as bad.

Reactions: pyrate
I honestly just got tired of waiting on the profile fix
Plus some of the people's work I admire started switching to it.
Was not completely sold until this last shoot

Joining the convo as I really want the 3.97mm lens without shelling out $140. It's ridic' and out of stocks too!
Somebody find us the original manufacturer!!! :)

Come on Ahmed, we can't let Peau have a monopoly over this one lens!!! Hack his email and find out who he's ordering it from already :p We can order 1000 lenses, and sell them $10 cheaper than Peau! That's still $70/profit per lens so about $70k of sales. We split it 50/50, then get Peau to remove our pink edge with the money.

@Erik i like Peau. i think they offer amazing service and support and kudos to them for figuring out the lens profile.

@Thierry its not happening. the supplier won't budge no matter what qty you throw at them. i'm not in it for profit, i just want to be able to buy a lens for $65, not $140.

that being said i'm just not a fan of what they are doing with the lens profile and the 3.97mm lens. Konrad Iturbe, who is the father of gopro hacks, did all of this, GitHub - KonradIT/autoexechack: Autoexec hack is a copilation of hacks for GoPro Cameras, like a GHDK (GoPro Hack Developer Kit)., for free. Without it, there would be no lens profile removal (long story for another thread).

and as far as the lens...the supplier that i buy my lenses from, is who supplies Peau. i purchased the 5.4mm, 4.4mm, 4.35mm and 3.8mm lenses from them. when the 3.97mm was introduced they sent an email asking if i wanted to try a sample. i said sure and was waiting for a code so that i could pay shipping only. a day or two passes, i get the code and now i can't put the lens in my cart. so i send an email. a few days later, it was gone from their site. and a few days later i get a message saying "the 3.97mm is exclusive by a certain company sorry". i do know of one person who was able to get one from them before Peau locked everyone else out and he paid $65 shipped.

you have to remember that before Peau, companies like RageCams and IRPro were raping people on gopro lenses. $350 and up...for an m12 cctv lens. this isn't L glass. shot glasses have better quality silica then these lenses. and then someone found out they are the same lenses being sold on surveillzone for $80. i'm all for commerce, supply and demand and all but what Peau did was not cool.

@JR thanks for the offer

this is the new lens that they asked for my feedback on. it's only a prototype at the moment. i told them that it's not desirable for distortion greater than 2%. i also told them that the aperture of 2.9 is not that great. i also told them that the flange, flange back focal length and back focal length are too long. this lens will require cutting down the metal tabs on the gopro. i also told them that the thread needs to cover at least 50% of the barrel. in its current form the lens will shake in the lens mount. i also told them that it was too damn heavy at 18g. but it's that heavy because optically this would be the best lens ever made for a gopro due to its grouping/elements.

e5e1dc73-782c-419f-86f0-ded7ae481431.jpeg

the biz idea was a joke @franknitty69 , I'm sad that a company like Peau could secure that deal. That's what happens when a company has monopoly. I'm surprised Peau sells enough of them to satisfy the supplier.

You never cease to impress me with your deep understanding of all this stuff. It looks like that lens has the same FOV as the stock lens but has little distortion. No sure where you see there's more than 2% distortion though.

I'm personally no interested in a lens that wide, so I'll probably settle for the 3.8mm and save $80. I'm a bit worried about shaving the metal tabs on the GoPro though. I guess you'd plug the hole to protect the sensor, then sand it down? Is that how you did it?

the biz idea was a joke @franknitty69 , I'm sad that a company like Peau could secure that deal. That's what happens when a company has monopoly. I'm surprised Peau sells enough of them to satisfy the supplier.

You never cease to impress me with your deep understanding of all this stuff. It looks like that lens has the same FOV as the stock lens but has little distortion. No sure where you see there's more than 2% distortion though.

I'm personally no interested in a lens that wide, so I'll probably settle for the 3.8mm and save $80. I'm a bit worried about shaving the metal tabs on the GoPro though. I guess you'd plug the hole to protect the sensor, then sand it down? Is that how you did it?

the focal length has the distortion, f2.7mm +/- 5%. not bad, but the whole point of replacing the lens is near zero distortion. and i figured you where playing...but hard to tell on the internet ;)

is this same 3.8mm lens you mentioned before or yet another new type 3.8mm lens ?
I have ordered 3.8mm lens (from Ms.Wu) couple weeks ago at the time my order at Peau for the 3.97mm got cancelled, but still waiting for the 3.8mm, just wondering which one they sent me if this is a different version.

Plug and Play, awesome. So it's a different model, but same optics I assume?
Order in 100 units minimum though.

Sooooooo if someone had a Hero 3 Black, would the old hacks work to remove the lens profile, and then you could add this lens?
I am playing with mounting a second gopro to mine for just shooting photos in the air.

I am trying to get back to the intent of the thread and update the intial post.
I have only had two lenses so far, the 4.4 and 3.97
Updated the original post with examples from both

If you have an example you would like to add
Shoot me a link to your video, your lens description and where you got the lens

Could uses some of the 5.4 and 4.3 examples to fill it out
An example of that new lens would be great

Reactions: J R
i'll answer your hack question in the other thread. but here are some examples:

5.4mm
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: J R and pyrate
is this same 3.8mm lens you mentioned before or yet another new type 3.8mm lens ?
I have ordered 3.8mm lens (from Ms.Wu) couple weeks ago at the time my order at Peau for the 3.97mm got cancelled, but still waiting for the 3.8mm, just wondering which one they sent me if this is a different version.

this is the same lens as before. same lens structure/grouping. the physical characteristics have been modified to support focus in a gopro without altering the gopro.

Reactions: J R and pete

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TEZZA