Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

then that is not a fair comparison, btw I think something is wrong with your 3.97.
those pictures are pretty poor compared to what most other people are getting out of that lens.
not saying the 3.8 is not a great lens. I may get one for my 3 Black. But either you got a bad one, or the apples to oranges comparison is not a good test

it's not fair comparison if my 3.97mm is bad sample (which I think it is), if you meant other reason then I didn't get that.

it's not fair comparison if my 3.97mm is bad sample (which I think it is), if you meant other reason then I didn't get that.

Pete,

Whoa, wait! If you believe your 3.97 is a bad sample then a true comparison can't be made, right? Hey, I for one, seriously appreciate your willingness to do this kind of stuff. I get a bit tired of spending the time to test and post results when no one is listening or puts down my processes. Hell, most of the time I don't even know what I'm doing! Because I lack the experience that many of you have I've become "comfortable" with taking your advice. Is this a fair comparison, or not? Thanks again for providing your insight!

Jerry

Pete,

Whoa, wait! If you believe your 3.97 is a bad sample then a true comparison can't be made, right? Hey, I for one, seriously appreciate your willingness to do this kind of stuff. I get a bit tired of spending the time to test and post results when no one is listening or puts down my processes. Hell, most of the time I don't even know what I'm doing! Because I lack the experience that many of you have I've become "comfortable" with taking your advice. Is this a fair comparison, or not? Thanks again for providing your insight!

Jerry

I'll get a definitive answer on that from Peau, I have no other (good) 3.97mm lens to compare it too (in same flight, same light conditions,...). I have to believe I just had a bad luck with this one because I expected better results than with stock lens at medium FOV (using just small part of the sensor), if this wasn't the case then nobody would be buying these after market lenses.

Reactions: J R
I'll get a definitive answer on that from Peau, I have no other (good) 3.97mm lens to compare it too (in same flight, same light conditions,...). I have to believe I just had a bad luck with this one because I expected better results than with stock lens at medium FOV (using just small part of the sensor), if this wasn't the case then nobody would be buying these after market lenses.

Pete,

Hey, I just appreciate the honesty and all of the work you've been willing to do. Good on you!

Jerry

Reactions: pete

Maybe I did not understand but are we not talking two different cameras?
When I asked about the flat nature you said the 3.8 was in a 3+ what is the 3.97 in?

To answer another question, yes i can clearly see the pink cast. I wonder why the GP lens needs the correction where all other lenses seem to not need it?

Could someone try the 'new' 3.8 lens in a GP4 black and let me know if it will properly fit in the waterproof case?

they say the 3.97 will but when I tried it in mine it seemed like the lens was rubbing
that is the main reason I have not modded the 3 black, I use it for scuba

I too would like to see some imagery from a GP4 Black using this 3.8mm lens. Do these lenses just screw out and screw in?

the link you posted is the old type.

the new type - this is where I got from, is here :
1/2.3" 3.8mm 16Megapixel S Mount Low-Distortion Board Lens for Drone Gopro 4

!!! just note that the picture on this page still shows the old one, they have not updated the photos, the important thing is that you are ordering MODEL 123038MPF-B, that's the new type, it's perfect size for the GoPro, no modifications required (with the old type you had to do a lot of crazy work to fit it in).

I too would like to see some imagery from a GP4 Black using this 3.8mm lens. Do these lenses just screw out and screw in?

if the stock lens wasn't glued in the thread then technically that would be possible, but you would be risking breaking plastic mounting bracket that the lens screws in. I know some people had a success doing it this way using heat gun and apparently then unscrewing the stock lens and simply screwing the new one back in. if you are brave you can try it this way, I would not recommend it.

to do it properly you should completely dismount the GoPro, there are plenty videos on Youtube showing this process.

once you put the new lens in, then you don't need to glue it back in the thread, this way your next lens mod would be as simple as you suggest, just unscrew the lens and put in another lens.

Could someone try the 'new' 3.8 lens in a GP4 black and let me know if it will properly fit in the waterproof case?

they say the 3.97 will but when I tried it in mine it seemed like the lens was rubbing
that is the main reason I have not modded the 3 black, I use it for scuba

3.80mm lens seems to be identical size as 3.97mm lens, I did not have the 3.97mm lens in my hand as I received it already installed in the GP4. but the diameter is identical and the height seems identical because they protrude from the plastic cap out exactly same distance, which is about 1mm more than the stock lens, see here - from left to right : 3.80mm - Stock - 3.97mm

_DSF5502.JPG

to answer your questions about the housing, both cameras (GP3+ and GP4, which are identical dimensions) with 3.80mm and 3.97mm seem to fit in the housing, I put them both in and I can tell I could force the door to close but to be safe I did not try that as I'm too scared to mess up the focusing in case that the lens would get pushed inside by the extra pressure.
Peau recommends that you use the extended door size that sells for the Gopro with bacpac battery installed.

In my opinion you don't need to buy the larger back door, instead I would just simply remove the 2 rubber strips that are glued inside the standard size backdoor, they are about 2mm thick or possibly 1mm thick when fully compressed, if you remove them you get that extra room to fit the GP3/GP4 with either 3.80mm or 3.97mm lens. after you remove the rubber strips you could just put in 1 layer or 2 layers or ordinary plumber tape so that the camera does not have a hard contact with the backdoor.
here is the picture of the standard size housing backdoor with those 2 rubber strips :
_DSF5503.JPG

Maybe I did not understand but are we not talking two different cameras?
When I asked about the flat nature you said the 3.8 was in a 3+ what is the 3.97 in?

yes, 3.80mmm is in GP3+, 3.97mm is in the GP4.

in GP4 under "protune" you can set parameter color to "flat" for both Video and Photo.
same settings in GP3+ seems to affect only the video while photos produced don't seem to be flat.

my point was that parameter "Color" does not affect what I'm comparing here, I'm not comparing color information, this you can do in post processing and get better results anyway, in fact this is the reason why we set it to "flat" because we don't want GP internal firmware to mess up the Color grading for us since we can do it much better in post process.

instead what I'm comparing here is the other properties of the lens - sharpness vs softness, distortion. Color information is irrelevant here.

either way, if the different color information in the examples above distracts anybody, then just look at the video examples, there it is apple to apple comparison because in both video cases the color information is "flat".
here is a sample frame grab from the video :

3.97mm
Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 17.14.49.jpg

3.80mm
Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 17.15.20.jpg

Reactions: Jubalr
we will just have to agree to disagree on that comparison
the only head to head would be to use same camera same settings same conditions

And I still think you either have a bad copy or you dont have it focused right.
The 3.8 does look good though

Hi @pete I can speak for everyone here, We appreciate all your work in showing us your new find!
Any good alternatives to Peau's high prices for there "Removing old then Installing new lens" & then charge extra to remove factory code to make there product look good, alternatives welcome.
But as @pyrate said, for good comparisons need to be done on the same unit. I'm guessing, but i think there are more GPH4's here then H3's?
But from what you posted so far, I suspect that the 3.80mm & the Peau's 3.97mm will be very close in clarity?

Thanks again for your time & effort.

Yep, at least I got convinced by this thread and Petes pictures. I have bought a 3.8mm (123038MPF-B) lense from www.megapixellenses.com. I believe it will be a perfect replacement to the original fisheye. I will try to figure out a way to take some before and after pictures when it arrives. If it arrives :eek:

It will arrive perkele!

By the way pete, thanks for this!

General question re. lens replacement...

If a particular lens is listed as being compatible with the GoPro Hero 4, would it be likely to also fit a GoPro Hero 3+ Black?

that is why i got the 4.4 I had, not a fan of the pricing at Peau
but I went that way to get rid of the pink. No matter what Chinese lens you get the pink corners are still an issue.
never got around to trying the double stacked IR filter, that may work

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44