Crash into ocean :-(

BAR

Reaction score
Anyone crashed their Solo into the ocean? Well I just did yesterday. :-(

To be honest I am not sure what happened and I am not outrightly blaming the solo. I have sent in a ticket and flight logs have been sent, just waiting to hear back from 3DR. Wondering if anyone has had experience in this process. I was able to retrieve the Solo but obviously it is ruined as is the GoPro. I am very very bummed out. Money down the drain in an eye blink. I really love the Solo, and if it was my fault, then so be it. I am looking forward to hearing from 3DR with flight log details.

Sorry about your crash Bar, but you're not the first. If water is your only problem, I've heard of others successfully "drying it out".

Cheers Maddog, "drying it out"?? I'd love to hear more about this, however, it is covered in salt water so I'm not sure about the corrosion situation. I feel like it's potentially going in the rubbish.

Cheers Maddog, "drying it out"?? I'd love to hear more about this, however, it is covered in salt water so I'm not sure about the corrosion situation. I feel like it's potentially going in the rubbish.
I think the first order of business would be some disassembly followed by a good cleaning with fresh water. (You can't make it any worse). I think some folks packed Solo in something to remove the water but can't remember what right now. (It's past my bed time). Maybe it was kitty litter..or maybe that was another website.. sorry, brain is now off-line..

Searching the site for "crash, crashed, etc." may turn up the thread. Hopefully somebody will chime in with more details.

Reactions: Todd McIntosh
Pack it in rice, the grains absorb the Moisture... We have had good results drying out waterlogged cameras with rice...

Sorry to hear this Bar. Can you post the Tlog here?

Mine went in the water a few weeks ago.
Replaced 3 motor pods and battery. Was back up flying this past weekend, gimbal seems OK.

If salt water, you could consider a rinse with clean tap water or others suggested alcohol. I did not do that, as my fate was met in the swimming pool.

There are various drying agents, dehumidifier crystals, available cheap from Lowes. I put my bird in a Tupperware "crate" with one of those packages. Personally, I don't see how the whole rice thing is feasible for a solo.

GoPro did not revive despite a week packed in rice.

My GoPro itself got waterlogged and I put it in rice in Tupperware bowl for a few days, up to a week.. The grains absorbs all the water.

Reactions: Marty Westguard
key here is he said ocean
If it was in SALT water any amount of time it is toast
The only time I have heard of a saltwater rebirth is if you could get it dunked in fresh water very quickly and then go through a long and thorough dry process.

Fresh water recovery is often very successful, depends on what arched before power goes down.
Salt water very rare

Thanks guys, yeah I think the salt water issue is going to be the killer. I have logged the ticket with 3DR and just waiting to hear back from them about the flight logs.
Pretty depressed though. As soon as I get the feedback from 3DR I will post the outcome.
Cheers

Sorry to hear your news.

Like others, I'd rinse in fresh water, put it in a crate of rice for a week and see what happens.

I lost a Phantom that way, not my fault. It lived in the water for 2 weeks before I could retrieve it. I didn't save the bird, but I did save the GoPro.

Buy the rice at a Chineese grocer. They come in big bags for decent prices.

Good luck with 3DR. Hope you get a replacement

To be honest I am not sure what happened and I am not outrightly blaming the solo. I have sent in a ticket and flight logs have been sent, just waiting to hear back from 3DR. Wondering if anyone has had experience in this process. I was able to retrieve the Solo but obviously it is ruined as is the GoPro. I am very very bummed out. Money down the drain in an eye blink. I really love the Solo, and if it was my fault, then so be it. I am looking forward to hearing from 3DR with flight log details.

With anything electronic, you must pull all the power and rinse in fresh water immediately. It's the only slim chance.

A great HW addon would be a proximity sensor to keep you a fix distance off the water. I have seen a number of posts on misjudging distance to water.

Reactions: Marty Westguard

Can you post the logs here?

Can you explain the circumstances a little bit? You seem to think it may have been your fault...but what makes you think that?

Ouch. Sorry to see BAR. Hope you're up and spinning again soon.

Go get kitty litter the crystal kind now after drying it out apart put in a covered container with socks filled with the kitty litter set it in the warm sun for 2 weeks fingers crossed the Crystals will absorbent all the moisture after I put couple in my car stop windows from fogging up

Hi guys,
Received the 3DR log reports and yep I got the news I was not hoping for. Pilot error - no replacement. I was very satisfied with the customer service and I take full responsibility for the crash. Unfortunately I have also lost the GoPro. I've had it in rice for 2 weeks now and attempted to turn it on to just see flashing power light. :-(
Naturally I am just getting over the grieving stages and am now looking for the best deal on another Solo and GoPro. I have gone back to the retailer and told them of my circumstance and asked them if they could give me their best price on another Solo - however no response. Shame because I was happy with their service. I am not sure if 3DR would be interested in giving me some sought of discount, somehow I doubt it.
Seeing that the release of Phantom 4 and the long awaited GoPro Karma drone (apparently coming out this financial year) I am wondering if I should hold out to see what happens to the price of Solo... has anyone got any thoughts on the GoPro Karma? I have been keeping my eye on GoPro and all they say is it should be out (along with the GoPro 5) in May/June. By the way I am in Australia if anyone knows of good deals on Solo/GoPro
Thanks for your comments everyone.

BAR sad news about your Solo. I lost my Phantom 3V Plus also looked like it went down over golf course lake at night and I never did get anything back. At least with 3DR you have a chance for a free replacement if it turned out to not be pilot error.

Good Luck with next drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44