Anyone lose signal with quad when it's nearby?

Reaction score
Was flying the Solo yesterday and decided to take it on a range test. I had taken it to almost 1000 feet the other day so I figured I'd see how far I could push it. Well it decided to RTL at only 3 or 400 feet. I tried retaking control when it was close and it said it didn't have signal. Well when it returned and was roughly 30 or 40 feet up it FINALLY decided to take signal with the controller. Very odd

Did you have good line of sight? Including Solo not being straight above you.
I had one like this and remembered about the antennas being under it. As soon as I inclined the remote enough for the antennas to "see" Solo everything came back to normal.
Now I'm thinking about moving the antennas over the remote instead of under. Why did 3DR put them there?

Now that I remember the Solo was straight above me when it wouldn't connect. So maybe the antennas not being in line of sight was the issue

Remember there is a null cone off both ends of your antennas. The controller antennas should be roughy perpendicular to the quad and vertical if possible. There is a drawing of the optimum position in the manual.

Was flying the Solo yesterday and decided to take it on a range test. I had taken it to almost 1000 feet the other day so I figured I'd see how far I could push it. Well it decided to RTL at only 3 or 400 feet. I tried retaking control when it was close and it said it didn't have signal. Well when it returned and was roughly 30 or 40 feet up it FINALLY decided to take signal with the controller. Very odd
I was also losing signal, with NO obstacles, at around 500 ft. The stock range is, compared to other similar classed quads, pretty poor. However, there are three modifications that can increase your range that EXCEEDS those other higher priced quads.

The first mod (easiest and cheapest) is to get ALFA -7db antennas. The pair are about $20 on ebay. They have a much better signal acquisition and some are reporting a 2 to 3 times increase in distance.

I just didn't think the antennas not being aligned would be an issue when the quad was so close. It makes sense for long distance though

I just didn't think the antennas not being aligned would be an issue when the quad was so close. It makes sense for long distance though

Remember the antennas on the Solo are installed in the legs. If Solo is roughly over you head and your controller antennas are pointed straight up (or straight down) the null areas of both Tx and Rx antennas are overlapping. Not a good situation.

Good to know. Sorry guys I'm new to this, I've only had the Solo for a few days but I'm glad I know this now before something catastrophic happened to it.

Good to know. Sorry guys I'm new to this, I've only had the Solo for a few days but I'm glad I know this now before something catastrophic happened to it.
We're all trying to figure it out one way or another. Lot'sa good information here with a willing, able, and helpful community. Keep flyin'

Reactions: brianuc4
We're all trying to figure it out one way or another. Lot'sa good information here with a willing, able, and helpful community. Keep flyin'
Thanks. Now the only complaint i have is I wish I had more time to fly her! With work and a baby grandson my days are pretty busy

I've been having this problem lately also. When I take it up to 400 ft. almost straight up I lose signal. I have alfas on but now am thinking I should do wifi card upgrade also. Is it just because antennas are in legs and being straight overhead is a bad angle? I tried to point alfas up at solo but still lost signal.

I've been having this problem lately also. When I take it up to 400 ft. almost straight up I lose signal. I have alfas on but now am thinking I should do wifi card upgrade also. Is it just because antennas are in legs and being straight overhead is a bad angle? I tried to point alfas up at solo but still lost signal.

Yeah - had the same issue at 40 feet out 150 feet up. I was not directly under the drone so I hesitate to think it was due to what all point out as Solo's weak point. I also dont think the $20 alpha would work for me either as from what I read they would be even more directional. The reason I dont think it was due to my angle is that when I lost connection and it RTH..... i only gained connection back when it was literally 100 feet directly above me and I re gained and brought it back vertically w/out loosing connection.

Yeah - had the same issue at 40 feet out 150 feet up. I was not directly under the drone so I hesitate to think it was due to what all point out as Solo's weak point. I also dont think the $20 alpha would work for me either as from what I read they would be even more directional. The reason I dont think it was due to my angle is that when I lost connection and it RTH..... i only gained connection back when it was literally 100 feet directly above me and I re gained and brought it back vertically w/out loosing connection.

Poll I started - Re - Controller Disconnects
https://3drpilots.com/threads/controller-disconnect-recently-poll.11521/#post-120081

I've been thinking of doing the wifi card upgrade also. I have the Alfas and getting good range but they're not consistent with range. Some days are better than others

you will lose signal directly over head that is normal, but if you are not getting close to 2000 stock something is wrong.
Most likely a bad antenna connection on the controller.
I have two, and they both hit 2000 on a regular basis with no mods, further with Alpha antenna.
It will all depend on how much wifi saturation is in your area.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
you will lose signal directly over head that is normal, but if you are not getting close to 2000 stock something is wrong.
Most likely a bad antenna connection on the controller.
I have two, and they both hit 2000 on a regular basis with no mods, further with Alpha antenna.
It will all depend on how much wifi saturation is in your area.
It must be the wifi interference in my area that's causing the inconsistencies. I've only flown it in my neighborhood, I've yet to take it outside the city to an open field to test the range.

yep if you are in a high wifi area its bad. you can download an app like wifi analyzer to see what solo is competing with. Just remember that is checking on the home condition, flying out it could be flying into a more congested area

It must be the wifi interference in my area that's causing the inconsistencies. I've only flown it in my neighborhood, I've yet to take it outside the city to an open field to test the range.
I have had 5 (count them 5) NIB Solo's over the past several weeks and 100% of them have exhibited the same RC to AC disconnects. Flown in a remote area with no (app's verified) wifi interference. I assumed that I had an issue with my first Solo that did this.. assumed the same with my 2nd .. but 3rd, 4th and 5th I knew that it was Solo being Solo and nothing more. It's something to get used to for sure but it is what is is and why I will probably never fly in congested areas since I can't imaging how much worse the rage could get.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44