Welcome to 3DRPilots.com

1. brianuc4

Was flying the Solo yesterday and decided to take it on a range test. I had taken it to almost 1000 feet the other day so I figured I'd see how far I could push it. Well it decided to RTL at only 3 or 400 feet. I tried retaking control when it was close and it said it didn't have signal. Well when it returned and was roughly 30 or 40 feet up it FINALLY decided to take signal with the controller. Very odd

2. Solo_Maverick

Did you have good line of sight? Including Solo not being straight above you.
    I had one like this and remembered about the antennas being under it. As soon as I inclined the remote enough for the antennas to "see" Solo everything came back to normal.
    Now I'm thinking about moving the antennas over the remote instead of under. Why did 3DR put them there?

3. brianuc4

Now that I remember the Solo was straight above me when it wouldn't connect. So maybe the antennas not being in line of sight was the issue

4. Solo_Maverick

Very likely. I remember reading other posts about this issue.

5. andrew.baker.142

Remember there is a null cone off both ends of your antennas. The controller antennas should be roughy perpendicular to the quad and vertical if possible. There is a drawing of the optimum position in the manual.

6. Dobie Ardmore

I was also losing signal, with NO obstacles, at around 500 ft. The stock range is, compared to other similar classed quads, pretty poor. However, there are three modifications that can increase your range that EXCEEDS those other higher priced quads.

The first mod (easiest and cheapest) is to get ALFA -7db antennas. The pair are about $20 on ebay. They have a much better signal acquisition and some are reporting a 2 to 3 times increase in distance.

7. Maddog

Try to avoid that as Solo tends to lose connection.

8. brianuc4

I just didn't think the antennas not being aligned would be an issue when the quad was so close. It makes sense for long distance though

9. andrew.baker.142

Remember the antennas on the Solo are installed in the legs. If Solo is roughly over you head and your controller antennas are pointed straight up (or straight down) the null areas of both Tx and Rx antennas are overlapping. Not a good situation.

10. brianuc4

Good to know. Sorry guys I'm new to this, I've only had the Solo for a few days but I'm glad I know this now before something catastrophic happened to it.

11. Dobie Ardmore

We're all trying to figure it out one way or another. Lot'sa good information here with a willing, able, and helpful community. Keep flyin'

brianuc4 likes this.
  12. brianuc4

Thanks. Now the only complaint i have is I wish I had more time to fly her! With work and a baby grandson my days are pretty busy