Controller Disconnect Recently Poll

Have you ever had a Controller Disconnect?

• Yes

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I did a bit of searching and found lots of posts about disconnects back in 2015 but nothing much as of late. I'm curious if this is still a common issue with folks who are flying their Solo on a regular basis. 2nd day with my Solo and first flight about 7 minutes in I was right at my alt limit 150 feet ... got the "alt limit alert" ... flew around for a few minutes and then got the controller disconnect message when the Solo was 150 high and 40 feet out and Solo tried to return home. It reconnected when It was back overhead and I was able to cancel RTH. I assumed folks were modding the antennas to achieve distances far greater than 40 or so feet @ 150 foot alt.

I think you should have put a "had and resolved" as an option.... I'm fairly certain a 99.9% of the users have had a disconnect, you learn the limitation of a platform and minimize that risk or upgrade for your expected needs..

My opinion, you're at a bad angle, if your controller's antenna angle isn't right you'd expect a drop out. You're virtually overhead which is the weakest angle regarding Solo's antennas.

You shouldn't believe everything you've read circa 2015 about Solo. Plenty of bad characters with false grievances, total effort the defame 3DR and/or Solo.

Reactions: Freebird32
I did a bit of searching and found lots of posts about disconnects back in 2015 but nothing much as of late. I'm curious if this is still a common issue with folks who are flying their Solo on a regular basis. 2nd day with my Solo and first flight about 7 minutes in I was right at my alt limit 150 feet ... got the "alt limit alert" ... flew around for a few minutes and then got the controller disconnect message when the Solo was 150 high and 40 feet out and Solo tried to return home. It reconnected when It was back overhead and I was able to cancel RTH. I assumed folks were modding the antennas to achieve distances far greater than 40 or so feet @ 150 foot alt.

I've never had a controller disconnect which would cause the Solo to RTH. I have had the Solo out to 1 KM. and no problem with the OSD
turning the Solo I had no dropout for the RTH. I figured that 1 Km. is far enough to go in distance and a year ago I tested the X380 to see
how far it would go FPV and it did exceed the distance at about 2.4 Km. FPV. I didn't think that the Solo should need to go more than
1Km in distance. You might have a battery problem with the controller, controller orientation, antenna connections? I would also wonder
if the Solo was a refurbished or used unit? If someone purchased the unit and ran it with out the antennas on the controller the PA could
been damaged because of high SWR? If the Solo loses contact with the controller it will go into RTH.

Last edited:
I think you should have put a "had and resolved" as an option.... I'm fairly certain a 99.9% of the users have had a disconnect, you learn the limitation of a platform and minimize that risk or upgrade for your expected needs..

My opinion, you're at a bad angle, if your controller's antenna angle isn't right you'd expect a drop out. You're virtually overhead which is the weakest angle regarding Solo's antennas.

You shouldn't believe everything you've read circa 2015 about Solo. Plenty of bad characters with false grievances, total effort the defame 3DR and/or Solo.
Fair enough. Yeah I figured most of the 2015 (new users, new drone etc...) had been worked out. I have read that the Solo's RC is very directional but this is taking it to another that I'll need to take into consideration when flying. I'll play around with angle on my next flight(s). In terms of limit's I was hoping the limit would be a bit further out than 40 feet :) but again if that was due to directionality then I'll have to adjust my flight plan for the Solo.

I've never had a controller disconnect which would cause the Solo to RTH. I have had the Solo out to 1 KM. and no problem with the OSD
turning the Solo I had no dropout for the RTH. I figured that 1 km. is far enough to go in distance and a year ago I tested the X380 to see
how far it would go FPV and it did exceed the distance at about 1.7 meters FPV. I didn't think that the Solo should need to go more than
1Km in distance. You might have a battery problem with the controller, controller orientation, antenna connections? I would also wonder
if the Solo was a refurbished or used unit? If someone purchased the unit and ran it with out the antennas on the controller the PA could
been damaged because of high SWR? If the Solo loses contact with the controller it will go into RTH.
Funny thing the last thing I need from the Solo is distance as I think my main use will be night flying and ripping around in Sport mode within the same range I fly my Heli's etc... This particular solo is a 1 day old (new in box). All ended well, RTH functioned as intended and I was able to re gain connection when it was 100 foot directly overhead which is odd if in fact directionality played a role.

Yeah - I found that thread a few weeks ago when reading up on antenna's good overview from the OP. Page 4/5 I'm still trying to figure out how one would increase the altitude of the Solo to regain connection to the solo if you have already lost connection. To be fair I have only lost connection once, but then again I have only flown my solo twice but when I lost connection i had ZERO control until it was directly overhead (literally 100 feet up) when I was able to get connection back and fly.

Yeah - I found that thread a few weeks ago when reading up on antenna's good overview from the OP. Page 4/5 I'm still trying to figure out how one would increase the altitude of the Solo to regain connection to the solo if you have already lost connection. To be fair I have only lost connection once, but then again I have only flown my solo twice but when I lost connection i had ZERO control until it was directly overhead (literally 100 feet up) when I was able to get connection back and fly.

Okay, "false grievances" aside, the unit does tend to lose connection and gps. I do agree that ant angle is VERY important with this drone, down, at 45% and parallel is the best position in my experience. You can also get an Alfa ant to help broaden the signal. I run one stock and one Alfa myself. Make sure the ants are tight, although you sound experienced enough to know that.

Right out of the gate you should get a gps shield, a mRo gps module and the Alfa ant. Should run you about $100. A lot of guys are changing the wifi boards, using advanced ant systems, upgraded motors, etc,etc,etc. Unless you're one of these guys that just really likes tinkering with stuff, I'd stick with the list I gave you. It'll greatly enhance the Solo's reliability and useability. Trust me. Good luck!

Okay, "false grievances" aside, the unit does tend to lose connection and gps. I do agree that ant angle is VERY important with this drone, down, at 45% and parallel is the best position in my experience. You can also get an Alfa ant to help broaden the signal. I run one stock and one Alfa myself. Make sure the ants are tight, although you sound experienced enough to know that.

Right out of the gate you should get a gps shield, a mRo gps module and the Alfa ant. Should run you about $100. A lot of guys are changing the wifi boards, using advanced ant systems, upgraded motors, etc,etc,etc. Unless you're one of these guys that just really likes tinkering with stuff, I'd stick with the list I gave you. It'll greatly enhance the Solo's reliability and useability. Trust me. Good luck!

Funny thing is I don't seem to be having any issues with my Rev B, I get lock quick and 10 to 12 sat's. It's the RC to AC disconnect that my main issue. I'd pick up a mRo if I was having gps issues or if I thought it would solve my RC/AC connection issues. I have a set of Alpha's on their way as well as another NIB Solo bundle so I can test to see if my Solo is unique or just as good as all Solo's - lol.

Funny thing is I don't seem to be having any issues with my Rev B, I get lock quick and 10 to 12 sat's. It's the RC to AC disconnect that my main issue. I'd pick up a mRo if I was having gps issues or if I thought it would solve my RC/AC connection issues. I have a set of Alpha's on their way as well as another NIB Solo bundle so I can test to see if my Solo is unique or just as good as all Solo's - lol.

Sure, and that was one of my points to the group. I think one of 3DR's main problems was quality control. I never said that all Solos had one problem or another or even any problem, they just were problematic in general. I owned half a dozen, and every one failed me in one way or another. In fact, that was my biggest problem with them, that there were so many different problems. The one I have now constantly dropped gps until I upgraded to the mRo. I used it to fly my Gear 360 camera around a couple times and it's sat ever since. I found the Karma and then the Mavic to better suit my personal needs. I was tired of fiddling with my drone, I just wanted to fly and take some pics without all the anxiety.

Good news for me at least is I'm really not counting on or asking the Solo to do very much. Close proximity flying in manual mode (thought Sport would be my goto mode by WTH with the nose diving....). Part of the fun is trying to figure out if you got a dud or one that works, or at least works as good as it could have back in 2014/... I have a pretty good feeling that my Solo #1 (actually #1 got sent back to B&H due to loosing it's mind - literally) has a bit of attachment anxiety and looking forward to seeing what my #2 bundle's issues will be --- or could it actually be good out of the box?

Regarding the Karma --- Had one offered at a price I could not refuse as I was looking for a Hero5 black for ski season and picked up the bundle for literally 10 bucks more. IMO, based on what I have seen with the Karma this will be GoPro's last venture into the RC world.

Good news for me at least is I'm really not counting on or asking the Solo to do very much. Close proximity flying in manual mode (thought Sport would be my goto mode by WTH with the nose diving....). Part of the fun is trying to figure out if you got a dud or one that works, or at least works as good as it could have back in 2014/... I have a pretty good feeling that my Solo #1 (actually #1 got sent back to B&H due to loosing it's mind - literally) has a bit of attachment anxiety and looking forward to seeing what my #2 bundle's issues will be --- or could it actually be good out of the box?

Regarding the Karma --- Had one offered at a price I could not refuse as I was looking for a Hero5 black for ski season and picked up the bundle for literally 10 bucks more. IMO, based on what I have seen with the Karma this will be GoPro's last venture into the RC world.

YOU ARE GOING TO FIT IN PERFECTLY HERE! These guys love fiddling with these drones! There are guys here that swear that the Hero 3 is a better camera than ANYTHING DJI puts out! Hahaha! Seriously though, I truly believe that the platform had a lot of potential. It's too bad they had to abandon it.

I've picked up a bunch of solos over the last couple years. Some were new bundles when the deals were out there, and recently some eBay parts birds. I flew my latest 'for parts' solo just yesterday and got 14 sats at 0.7 HDOP, considering it is a Rev A GPS and only cost me $59 (adding some of my bargain items like gimbal and battery) I'm elated. Flew fine. On my original solo I had one disconnect due to overhead position (and a FPVLR directional antenna that wasn't pointed up at the time). That bird is 2 years old and still flies great. There were occasions where I had trouble connecting the app prior to take off, but usually solved with boot/reboot and sequence of booting. Once connected, solid for all flights so far. I am starting to put GPS shields in all of them. I've got an mRo GPS in my first solo. My only regret was not picking up a crate load of $39 gimbals when BB cleared them out. I love my Solos! The platform is open source now. If we get another 3rd party gimbal to connect as 'open source' wow, this bird will take on a new life.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Well I find that even with the Alpha's I still get disconnect from but it seems to happen on batteries 2 and 3 ... ie not first battery? No idea if this has any bearing or not. If B&H had not uterrly f'ed up my other Solo bundle I would have already been able to get to the root of "Is my Solo a Solo or unique in it's inability to stay connected to the RC.) Regarding gimbal's ... i 2 wanted one and now I have three NIB and to be honest I'm pretty sure i'd never use the Solo as a content footage platform so just for FPV/control of AC they do just fine. I'd bet they will be back down to 39/50 when all the folks who bought close out do a close out of their own because in reality there are so many better footage capture platforms out there that to spend anything near what gimbal's are priced at today is a bit nuts.

Reactions: jca
Well I find that even with the Alpha's I still get disconnect from but it seems to happen on batteries 2 and 3 ... ie not first battery? No idea if this has any bearing or not. If B&H had not uterrly f'ed up my other Solo bundle I would have already been able to get to the root of "Is my Solo a Solo or unique in it's inability to stay connected to the RC.) Regarding gimbal's ... i 2 wanted one and now I have three NIB and to be honest I'm pretty sure i'd never use the Solo as a content footage platform so just for FPV/control of AC they do just fine. I'd bet they will be back down to 39/50 when all the folks who bought close out do a close out of their own because in reality there are so many better footage capture platforms out there that to spend anything near what gimbal's are priced at today is a bit nuts.

I've flown two Solos for about and have had several Solo/controller disconnects with one Solo, always when Solo was nearby and overhead, the other Solo has had none. I have no mods, never had a GPS problem, Solo flys great, smooth, and has done great video with a GoPro 4 black. The only thing would be to have tele-photo capable and more than 12mb stills. GoPro just released ver 6, still fixed lens and 12mb picture, but has HDMI out. I wonder if it fits the Solo gimbal?

I've flown two Solos for about and have had several Solo/controller disconnects with one Solo, always when Solo was nearby and overhead, the other Solo has had none. I have no mods, never had a GPS problem, Solo flys great, smooth, and has done great video with a GoPro 4 black. The only thing would be to have tele-photo capable and more than 12mb stills. GoPro just released ver 6, still fixed lens and 12mb picture, but has HDMI out. I wonder if it fits the Solo gimbal?
From what I read it's the same externals as the five so not likely.

Nope, otherwise I'd have one of the Hero 5's I own mounted on there now!

Last edited:
I have two Solos and apart from a few user-caused errors, I have had few problems until recently. One of them now RTH at odd times and distances on a regular basis with loss of connection to controller. Unlike RTH caused by flying out of range, I am not able to reconnect when it gets close again. I have been told I must have a loose Wi-Fi connection somewhere but have opened and inspected both the drone and the controller and can't find the source of the problem. Thinking of buying a used controller and trying that to see if that's the problem.

Swap controllers to see if it is the Solo or the controller. leave antennas on the controller that they are on now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea