Android 2.4 Beta and Solo FW (2.4.1.3) Update Available..

Just flew this morning with the latest Beta 2 updates to Services and Android App without a hitch. It was nice and breezy at the park, around 9 to 12 knots but the solo did appear to be more stable in a hover and during selfie and orbit flights. Haven't messed around with Pano but the Zipline is a really cool feature by flying a fixed direction and locking the camera on a point as it zips by it. Also GPS lock was fairly quick, the areas I fly at seems to lock around 2 minutes and this morning it was locking little over a minute. Looking forward to the final release and taking this on my next trip to the coast.

Hurry up and release it.... oh wow there is a beta it mus be released .... o crap the beta has bugs ........ Hurry up and release it
repeat until you have a mental breakdown
unless you have ios, then enjoy all of your summer with all features... Some os's are just better than others

give it a break man, or go buy an IOS
seriously what is all the complaining accomplishing?

give it a break man, or go buy an IOS
seriously what is all the complaining accomplishing?
i just bought an Android specifically for solo kit. ..im allowed to hold them to their word re compatibility? Dont attempt to ridicule others if you dont like responses...

I apologize in advance for this off topic but relevant post (I don't think this warrants its own topic... yet)

I see there are a lot of nice and helpful folks on this forum that are not use to being trolled.
This troll is doing it to you all big time. It's sad to witness.

The hard part is using self control to ignore them... or at least their overly negative posts.
The best way to get rid of a troll is to make them bored enough to go somewhere else.
-optional:
The easy way to deal with persistent Trolls is to just right click their name, hit "ignore" and be done with it.
When they are ready to sit at the big boy table, you can un-ignore them.

FYI, a reminder.
Wikipedia:
a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

Urban dictionary:
trolled
Anyone who fails to recognize a troll and responds to it with anger or annoyance is said to have been "trolled".

Lets make this a troll free forum :D

(I recognize the irony of myself being a momentary Troll to call attention to a real Troll)

I apologize in advance for this off topic but relevant post (I don't think this warrants its own topic... yet)

I see there are a lot of nice and helpful folks on this forum that are not use to being trolled.
This troll is doing it to you all big time. It's sad to witness.

The hard part is using self control to ignore them... or at least their overly negative posts.
The best way to get rid of a troll is to make them bored enough to go somewhere else.
-optional:
The easy way to deal with persistent Trolls is to just right click their name, hit "ignore" and be done with it.
When they are ready to sit at the big boy table, you can un-ignore them.

FYI, a reminder.
Wikipedia:
a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

Urban dictionary:
trolled
Anyone who fails to recognize a troll and responds to it with anger or annoyance is said to have been "trolled".

Lets make this a troll free forum :D

(I recognize the irony of myself being a momentary Troll to call attention to a real Troll)
Thanks, but this forum is just fine the way it is. The folks here know how to deal with them. There simply isn't a huge problem here with trolls.

This thread definitely blew up.

I noticed some of you mentioned something about q*bert gimbal. All I could find was a git hub commit from 3DR. What is q*bert gimbal?

This thread definitely blew up.

I noticed some of you mentioned something about q*bert gimbal. All I could find was a git hub commit from 3DR. What is q*bert gimbal?
I think its the gimbal for the sony camera (enterprise)

i just bought an Android specifically for solo kit. ..im allowed to hold them to their word re compatibility? Dont attempt to ridicule others if you dont like responses...
But you're bitching at us, not them. They don't see this stuff; we do. If you really want to "hold them to their word", then actually go talk to them. You're just spinning your wheels here pissing everybody off.

But you're bitching at us, not them. They don't see this stuff; we do. If you really want to "hold them to their word", then actually go talk to them. You're just spinning your wheels here pissing everybody off.
No, actually my original post was " hey, 3dr...." And tagged @Vu.3DR of 3dr...jesus christ, ill be sure to check all my future posts with you guys before posting as i obviously am a troll with nothing to add...foegive me for being pissed I wasted $250 on a 2nd android tab off the recommended by 3dr list...i already owned another android tab but it wasnt on the list, so now i should just stfu and eat it...got it...maybe i can shine their boots next if im good.... Dont worry ,i wont bring it up again

No, actually my original post was " hey, 3dr...." And tagged @Vu.3DR of 3dr...jesus christ, ill be sure to check all my future posts with you guys before posting as i obviously am a troll with nothing to add...foegive me for being pissed I wasted $250 on a 2nd android tab off the recommended by 3dr list...i already owned another android tab but it wasnt on the list, so now i should just stfu and eat it...got it...maybe i can shine their boots next if im good.... Dont worry ,i wont bring it up again
Thank you. And I've spent way more than that and am in the same boat, along with many others. Most have accepted it or moved on. The person you've been bitching to hasn't even seen it or been on for over 2 months now.
Vu.3DR was last seen:
Mar 31, 2016

This seems to be the thread that's running for new Betas and other App news so... this just in from FB - Solo Beta Test:

Phu Nguyen > ‎Solo Beta Test
Hi all,

Starting with Solo app 2.4 for Android, you won't need 3DR Services anymore. This is why we rolled back to a prior version of 3DR Services.

Tower will do the same soon.

Why?
3DR Services was created to facilitate Android app development for drones by being a middle layer for drone communications, but it's become clear in recent times that this piece of software was slowing down development for many of the apps out there

Look for a new beta version of the Android 2.4.0 app tomorrow. This version will be one without the dependency on 3DR Services.

Thanks,

Phu

Reactions: algojo and Jubalr
Let's see, 3DR Services was/is being developed by Dronecode/Dronekit which was sponsored by 3DR (still says so on the website)
Welcome to DroneKit-Android’s documentation!
Dronecode Software Platform | Dronecode

The latest, 1.5.3 was released in April
Releases · dronekit/dronekit-android · GitHub

The most recent commits were this week and it is under active development
Branches · dronekit/dronekit-android · GitHub

3DR released 1.6.0-beta2 a few weeks ago which had no source published and was not part of Dronekit
3DR Services 1.6.0-beta.2 update throwing BadParcelableException · Issue #422 · dronekit/dronekit-android · GitHub

"3DR Services App is made available under the open source GPL version 3 licence."
I know 1.6.0-beta2 was based on the Dronekit code since I have decompiled it and compared the source files.

1.6.0-beta2 was very buggy.
3DR's attempt to migrate to ArduCopter 2.x resulted is a return to the 1.3.1 branch.
The most recent branch of ArduCopter-solo (which is maintained by 3DR) is 1.3.7
Releases · 3drobotics/ardupilot-solo · GitHub

3DR has said that IOS is the wave of the future
Now 3DR is eliminating the 3DR Services dependency from the Android app (following what Tower is doing)

What could possibly go wrong.
I guess we will see what tomorrow brings.

Reactions: algojo
I actually hope it is good news really. Getting rid of a piece of middle man software should make things more reliable. BUT what does this really mean?? Ok Solo app going away from 3DR Services means one thing, but Tower also? Obviously Solo app and 3DR services were done with 3DR support, but what about Tower?

Just look at who the major developers of Tower & Dronekit are. Dronekit is much more than 3DR Services and is open source. Neither the Android app nor the IOS app are so visibility into what's going on inside is limited. Tower is open source and I personally hope that it can duplicate the 3DR Android app functionality (eventually). 3DR Services was the abstraction layer that allowed multiple platforms to interact with the drone through a common API. Without 3DR Services, Tower will be more efficient (a good thing), as will the 3DR app. (also good) However the deveel is in the implementation, 3DR is starting afresh with new(er) developers, Tower has the advantage of Fredia et.al. , their history/experience in the field as well as a continuous thread of development on Dronecode.
Project Members | Dronecode

I have high hopes for all this, it's just 3DR was having code stability issues with their (fork/version?) of 3DR Services as well as with their fork of Ardupilor-rebase. I hope they get back on track with the removal of 3DR Services and straighten out the problems with Ardupilot.

Reactions: algojo
Phu also said Dronekit-android will nix 3dr services in V3 and an updated dronekit would make it unnecessary. From my understanding, Services is just a collection of common binaries/libraries used by both the 3dr app as well as 3rd parties (tower) to reduce code (no reason to have 2 different versions of the same library). This is good in theory, until one of the apps, like Tower, wants to add extra stuff, which they they have to wait for 3dr to implement (or not). Unbundling the dependencies and allowing each app to do their own thing can only be good for advancement, and it seems they are putting everything in place to make that happen. I actually read this as very good news as it shows dronekit (that everything is running on top of) is still in active development.

Fredia also still seems to be quite active on dronekit-andoid.

This should also speed up android development and remove a hurdle that makes it harder to develop for than for ios, since you don't have this limitation on ios. I would suspect this is one reason why it's taking them months to do the 2.4 version for android. The code bases will be more aligned than they are now.

There is also a newer app being developed as a replacement for the 3DR Solo app for android that the author is making very good progress on.

Here's a good read on Services: Work with DroneKit Android · DroidPlanner/Tower Wiki · GitHub

Phu also said Dronekit-android will nix 3dr services in V3 and an updated dronekit would make it unnecessary. From my understanding, Services is just a collection of common binaries/libraries used by both the 3dr app as well as 3rd parties (tower) to reduce code (no reason to have 2 different versions of the same library). This is good in theory, until one of the apps, like Tower, wants to add extra stuff, which they they have to wait for 3dr to implement (or not). Unbundling the dependencies and allowing each app to do their own thing can only be good for advancement, and it seems they are putting everything in place to make that happen. I actually read this as very good news as it shows dronekit (that everything is running on top of) is still in active development.

Fredia also still seems to be quite active on dronekit-andoid.

This should also speed up android development and remove a hurdle that makes it harder to develop for than for ios, since you don't have this limitation on ios. I would suspect this is one reason why it's taking them months to do the 2.4 version for android. The code bases will be more aligned than they are now.

There is also a newer app being developed as a replacement for the 3DR Solo app for android that the author is making very good progress on.

Here's a good read on Services: Work with DroneKit Android · DroidPlanner/Tower Wiki · GitHub
Any sneak peek into this new app??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44