Android Tablets for use with Solo

But you would use the HDMI output of the controller for goggles, right?
From what I have heard, that doesn't have the GUI/OSD so you would need HDMI out from the tablet/phone for that. I've not tried it myself, however.

I have used a Samsung Tab 3 with the Solo App and had wifi disconnects, but have good results with a Moto G3 with 1280HD, and Amazon Fire 7"/8" 1280HD, $50-70 (but it requires install of Google Play to install Solo App).

just as a quick fyi I've used a Samsung galaxy tab a with a screen just under 10''. Actually fit in th3 stock clamp/holder however was way to tippy when I put the controlled down. If I had 3d printer controller shoes this wouldn't be a problem... I should print some

So I just bought a NextBook Ares 8A from Walmart for $70. Did some testing this afternoon (Running current versions of Solex and Open Solo) and it seems to perform well. It does have a mini HDMI port but I don't have any goggles as of yet. The screen wasn't bright enough for direct sun light but for the money I think it's a good option.

So I just bought a NextBook Ares 8A from Walmart for $70. Did some testing this afternoon (Running current versions of Solex and Open Solo) and it seems to perform well. It does have a mini HDMI port but I don't have any goggles as of yet. The screen wasn't bright enough for direct sun light but for the money I think it's a good option.
Scratch that, total POS. Couldn't run missions at all. Got the lenovo tab4 8 and am loving it thus far

I started out using an iOS device iPhone 6+ with the default Solo App. However, after reading all the cool stuff you could do with Solex, Tower, DroidPlanner and other Android apps I started searching for a Android tablet to use. I chose the Asus Nexus 7 (2013) Model running Android 6.01 (Marshmellow). The DroidPlanner GitHub page had it list as their (Reference Tablet). They also had several other tablets listed as compatible. See Below...

Compatible Devices · arthurbenemann/droidplanner Wiki · GitHub

Here is a list of Android device know to have compatibility with DroidPlanner:

• Nexus 7 (2013) - This is our reference tablet
  • Google Nexus 7 (2012)
  • Nexus 5
  • Tablet Genesis GT-7230
  • T-pad tablet IS701/IS709C
  • Asus TF300T and TF300TG
  • Galaxy Note 10.1 With RFD900
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with xBee 2.4GHz
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (GT-P3113)
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (GT-P7500)
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 (SM-T710)
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 - micro USB, needs adapter
  • Samsung Galaxy S4/LTE/4G - micro USB, needs adapter
  • Samsung Galaxy S5 - micro USB
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - micro USB
  • Samsung Galaxy Nexus
  • Xperia Z
  • Xperia Z1
  • A13 tablet (cheapes at deal extreem)
  • Acer Iconia A510
  • Acer Iconia A500/A501 - 10" tablet, full size USB port, no adapter needed
  • Asus Memo Pad 7 - OTG cable with power needed and rooted kernal with USB Host Diagnostics app
  • Medion Lifetab E10315 (MD98621)
  • Iview 754TPCII 7” 800x480 tablet

I started out using an iOS device iPhone 6+ with the default Solo App. However, after reading all the cool stuff you could do with Solex, Tower, DroidPlanner and other Android apps I started searching for a Android tablet to use. I chose the Asus Nexus 7 (2013) Model running Android 6.01 (Marshmellow). The DroidPlanner GitHub page had it list as their (Reference Tablet). They also had several other tablets listed as compatible. See Below...

Unfortunately most of that list is getting "long in tooth", meaning old and running and older version of Android. With the pace of change in the smartphone/tablet world it is hard to keep up.

I bought a cracked screen iPad air 2(at&t/gps) for under $100. Follow me works well. I do wonder if anyone has tried a working device with a bad emei, these sell on eBay for cheap since it is banned from cellular use.

I have found that my iPad with GPS and cell gives a very steady position. My Tablet with only GPS gives a position that drifts around a little.

My NVidia K1 is running Android 7 very well. Managed to find a used one in really good shape and for a reasonable price. It really earns its fame.

I already tested it with the new Sky Viper and its app (same that uses Ardupilot) and worked as a charm. That new little drone is awesome.

I did not have time to test it with my Solo yet. Too many business trips and all my time left this end of the year has been for my family and getting ready for the Christmas holidays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saijin_Naib

• Nexus 7 (2013) - This is our reference tablet
  • Google Nexus 7 (2012)
  • Nexus 5
  • Tablet Genesis GT-7230
  • T-pad tablet IS701/IS709C
  • Asus TF300T and TF300TG
  • Galaxy Note 10.1 With RFD900
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with xBee 2.4GHz
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (GT-P3113)
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (GT-P7500)
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 (SM-T710)
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 - micro USB, needs adapter
  • Samsung Galaxy S4/LTE/4G - micro USB, needs adapter
  • Samsung Galaxy S5 - micro USB
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - micro USB
  • Samsung Galaxy Nexus
  • Xperia Z
  • Xperia Z1
  • A13 tablet (cheapes at deal extreem)
  • Acer Iconia A510
  • Acer Iconia A500/A501 - 10" tablet, full size USB port, no adapter needed
  • Asus Memo Pad 7 - OTG cable with power needed and rooted kernal with USB Host Diagnostics app
  • Medion Lifetab E10315 (MD98621)
  • Iview 754TPCII 7” 800x480 tablet
That makes me feel better, I just bought a used Nexus 7 (2nd gen) on ebay for $80. Hopefully it works well.

I thought I would start a thread where people could post positive experiences with Tablets that work with Solex.
I recently had problems with an old tablet running Android 4.4 with Solex, so I had to look for a new tablet. I am a real cheapskate and buying a Samsung Galaxy will never be in my cards.

I usually get no-name tablets on Ebay and generally I have had very good luck and saved a lot of money over the years. But I wanted to warn others of my recent experiences. I bought a new 6" smartphone and a new tablet for Solo. Great specs with a 2500x1900 screen 8 processor cores running 2.5ghz, 64 gb of storage and 4gb of ram and running Android 6 for $130. It was one of those "if it is too good to be true it probably is not true".

All of the specs where lies and I think they rig the roms to report specs that are not true. The most important problem to warn you about is that both units were rooted. Many people root phones and tablets to gain control and change things the vendor does not want you to change for marketing reasons. Like removing their bloat ware etc. But in this case the units were rooted in the roms, which means it can not be removed by erasing everything on the unit with a RESET procedure. So the unit can be remotely controlled everytime you are on the internet and your private and financial information stolen. Not good.

So since there is no way to detect this short of receiving it and running anti-virus, which you can't do easily with Android until you connect to the Internet and provide your credentials. Hence I will never take the chance of buying one of these off brands again. Which is a shame because all the ones I have bought over the years have been fine before this and they all go obsolete, performance wise, so fast that buying cheap made sense.

So being forced to buy a name brand that could be trusted to provide a safe device I needed to do some research because I will still not pay $800 for a tablet. I finally settled on a 10" ASUS Zenpad ZM500M. I have purchased Asus laptops for years and they are a bit better quality that the other low cost contenders. I found a used one on Amazon for $200 and it turned out to be in great shape and was running the latest version 7 of Android. It has hex-core processor that is much faster than my old one, it has 64gb of storage and 4gb of ram. Solex likes it fine. It also does not have a bunch of bloatware hiding the OS from me.

So just one positive data point for a Solo compatible tablet. Please if you have units that you can confirm work why not leave a note so others can get a picture of what is safe to buy for this purpose.

Desirable features in an Android Tablet
1. Newer version of Android OS for longevity. Some applications only work with newer versions.
2. GPS for follow me mode
3. HDMI output port for goggles with OSD data in goggles.
4. Faster processors and graphics co-processors always better. Quad, Hex or Octo cores.
5. 16gb ram minimum to store programs and video captured, more better
6. 2-4gb of ram to run programs in. More the better.
7. Higher resolution screens are easier to see live video,
8. Size of screen 10" tablets will require a mod to the Solo controller mount.
9. Wifi required
10. 3G or 4G nice for acquiring maps on location but not mandatory.
11. Google play store required, some off brands don't have it.

Cheers

PS > I think I will try to summarize to make it easier to see the options

TABLETS SUCCESSFULLY USED AND TALKED ABOUT BELOW.
ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 9.7-inch 4GB RAM 64GB Tablet (Z500M-C1-GR)-Glacier Silver - ASUS Store US
Yoga | Lenovo USA
Insignia - 8" - Tablet - 16GB - Black
10" Samsung Tab A
LG - G Pad 7.0 LTE - LG-V410
AT&T ZTE Trek 2 K88 tablet
Samsung Galaxy tab 3
Samsung Galaxy 4
Motorola Moto G3

How exactly did you mod the controller mount to fit a 10 inch tablet?? Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela