Worst tech ever

I tested one of those and really wanted to like it. But in the end it was just not solo

Or the x-star premium. You can even use it as a cooking utensil![emoji3]
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
I have a Solo several Phantoms and an H; Solo has the best flight tech by far of any drone I own. From dynamic altitude to GPS aided follow orbits Solo is amazing even though it's 2 years older than my P4.

Solos downfall for me is the IQ it's not as good as the P3, P4 or H that I own. My solo now has over 200 flight hours and is still going strong. There were a few bumps early on I replaced the GPS module with the mRo unit and went to some long-range antennas but after that my Solo has been rock solid even in the most hostile environments.

My P3 fell apart after about half the amount of flight hours as my Solo; however; my P4 is still going strong it has about 50 flight hours on it. DJI just released more smart shots for my Phantom like follow orbit using active track. Unfortunately active track means I have to stay close in and the link is vulnerable to other subjects, the sun, trees, Etc. I will say my P3 and P4 spit out very good images even under poor conditions however they cannot match the flight envelope of Solo in my opinion.

That's interesting...

I understand the tech. I'm also very tech savy.
Been building and flying rc cars planes and helicopters for 25 years. But 3DR had a great product and totally dropped the ball. From customer service failure to the nonstop glitches. Just time for a change for me.
$500?? I haven't checked eBay but mine has only been flown once. I can toss in additional controller and shell.
Send me direct email.
[email protected]
Confused : How could you know all the problems with the Solo if you only flew it once?
Also I must say that after many crazy things I'v put mine through, it a lot smarter than me. Only problem Solo has had is with the GoPro camera. It tends to lose contact at distance.

Last edited:
Confused : How could you know all the problems with the Solo if you only flew it once?
Also I must say that after many crazy things I'v put mine through, it a lot smarter than me. Only problem Solo has had is with the GoPro camera. It tends to lose contact at distance.

Um the camera doesn't have anything to do with that. All that is handled by the Solo and controller.

When it comes to flight tech nothing compares to Solo IMO. Here's my Solo GPS following at high altitude in strong winds near freezing temps. Solo is not only controlling X and Y but Z with dynamic altitude as I travel up a steep trail hands off the controller.

DJI's GPS follow is terrible, using GO there is no dynamic altitude and the Phantoms cannot operate in winds like this. Active Track follow is fragile at best and requires the subject to be close; I have GPS followed with Solo 1/2 mile away.

Here's Solo following just feet above the ground, again Solos superior flight performance allows shot's DJI products cannot do(easily).

For the most part my Phantoms deliver great video; however, when the shot requires precision and autonomous control DJI is way behind IMO.

Reactions: RichWest
When it comes to flight tech nothing compares to Solo IMO. Here's my Solo GPS following at high altitude in strong winds near freezing temps. Solo is not only controlling X and Y but Z with dynamic altitude as I travel up a steep trail hands off the controller.

DJI's GPS follow is terrible, using GO there is no dynamic altitude and the Phantoms cannot operate in winds like this. Active Track follow is fragile at best and requires the subject to be close; I have GPS followed with Solo 1/2 mile away.

Here's Solo following just feet above the ground, again Solos superior flight performance allows shot's DJI products cannot do(easily).

For the most part my Phantoms deliver great video; however, when the shot requires precision and autonomous control DJI is way behind IMO.
That's really cool I must say. I didn't know that the Solo adjusted altitude as it followed.

Is it just me or does SOLO clip a bush at least twice in that video?
:eek:

Oh trust me - these same people are over at DJI forums after buying one of those with the same complaints. Flyaways, bad customer service, buggy software, and most recently its that DJI is evil for restricting and tracking.

I bought DJI drones as well and would recommend them to anyone. Mavic, Phantom, Inspire.. all totally awesome birds.

I barely use my Solo and my only real complaints are the GPS wait time and the batteries don't last worth a shit even with the "intelligent" self-stuff built in, it didnt help the battery stay healthy. Regardless i STILL bought a 2nd Solo. The Solo is a workhorse that is valuable in the right hands. Not the BEST option for the average twice-per-year weekend flyer.

While its nice the hobby got opened up dramatically in the past 3 to 5 years due to consumer drones, this is the byproduct. They are sold to just "anyone" and really not just anyone can know how to operate a drone properly and safely.

What GoPro was this?

Is it just me or does SOLO clip a bush at least twice in that video?
:eek:

Yea, I kept it to myself... There's no denying that the Solo is tough but I'm guessing he has MA blades because my experience is that 3DR blades break pretty easily.

Oh trust me - these same people are over at DJI forums after buying one of those with the same complaints. Flyaways, bad customer service, buggy software, and most recently its that DJI is evil for restricting and tracking.

I bought DJI drones as well and would recommend them to anyone. Mavic, Phantom, Inspire.. all totally awesome birds.

I barely use my Solo and my only real complaints are the GPS wait time and the batteries don't last worth a shit even with the "intelligent" self-stuff built in, it didnt help the battery stay healthy. Regardless i STILL bought a 2nd Solo. The Solo is a workhorse that is valuable in the right hands. Not the BEST option for the average twice-per-year weekend flyer.

While its nice the hobby got opened up dramatically in the past 3 to 5 years due to consumer drones, this is the byproduct. They are sold to just "anyone" and really not just anyone can know how to operate a drone properly and safely.
True but that's the beauty of the computer assist on these babies. I bought the Parrot AR Drone within days of it coming out and was AMAZED at how easy it was to fly, how "stable" it was and the awesome video quality! Wow! Now its a piece of garbage compared to basically anything out there. Besides when any dude with a credit card can buy an ATV or dirt bike... Or a shot gun...

Last edited:

That's awesome! This is exactly why I got my Solo. [emoji2]

It's very cool that is can follow us also ahead of us. All the others I see usually follow behind. Any special setup for that?

On a side note, I also follow other drone manufacturer forums and all have problems. DJI now went nuts with their self-entitled control over its users that make them even decide where we can fly.

My decision for the Solo was mostly for its open platform (only one I know of) and the great aftermarket options. Pretty much like my Jeep Wrangler. Chrysler sucks but I can get all the types of parts and services from much better sources and keep it running as much as I can keep my Solo flying with all the cool stuff some folks make for it.

Do not let one setback discourage you. There's enough support and options to rebuild and upgrade the whole thing and make it much better. Cheers!

Reactions: RDA and xman4242
Yea, I kept it to myself... There's no denying that the Solo is tough but I'm guessing he has MA blades because my experience is that 3DR blades break pretty easily.

I use APC 11x4.5 MR props, tough, longer flight time and more stable. Yes my Solo is a weed whacker and still going strong.

Reactions: RDA and cnc74
the reaming on those was a bit of a pain but I was pleasantly surprised with how smooth these were, lower amp draw at hover too.

the reaming on those was a bit of a pain but I was pleasantly surprised with how smooth these were, lower amp draw at hover too.

Just for the record, the MA pros are also outstanding and don't require any modifications. Plus they come in different colors.20170504_164204.jpg

Reactions: RDA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea