Worst tech ever

After two years my Solo stills holds down the fort; my P4 simply sucks at autonomous flight, it's almost dangerous. I own 3 Phantom's and they all suck in autonomous flight; I don't think DJI knows or cares about how autonomous flight works. My Yuneec H is several steps above anything DJI but no Solo.

I wish we had more camera choices, it's my only complaint. After two hard years of use the image from my GP4B got pretty bad, out of focus and fisheye in 4k. Well I got a Chinese lens which removed most of the fisheye a couple weeks ago and couldn't be happier. The image is clean again and no fisheye. The IQ is still not as good as my P3 or 4 but when combined with Solo's autonomous moves nothing else comes close IMO.
Excuse my ignorance but what is IQ?

But I will take on a P3 camera any day with my gopro.
But then again, I have my GP4 3.97 workflow dialed in

O.K.. Bigger sensor better IQ. But post editing is important also. I don't see this as a deal breaker with video. I use a Sony A5100 for stills and a Phantom or Yuneec can't even come close. It requires a specialized Solo just for it but so what. A good video platform and a good still photo platform may have very little in common.

and bigger sensors dont automatically = better IQ
the potential for better IQ is there, and technically it should be better.
Post is almost the pivot point
Shoot best quality (bits information) with good composition
then make it shine in post

the gopro can get good base video, if you use it right. Protune is a hard format to process correctly but it has its pluses

and bigger sensors dont automatically = better IQ
the potential for better IQ is there, and technically it should be better.
Post is almost the pivot point
Shoot best quality (bits information) with good composition
then make it shine in post

the gopro can get good base video, if you use it right. Protune is a hard format to process correctly but it has its pluses
I agree 100%. Its still photo's that the Gopro is limited. A 24MP Sony with a 23mm X 16mm sensor is an eye opening experience compared to a Gopro with a Peau. Not saying I haven't taken so good pictures with the Gopro. Stills are what make the bigger sensors ( good ones ) shine.

What is the best editing program for free? I kind of like GoPro quik

I use both Gopro Studio ( free ) and Adobe Premier Elements ( not so free ). Adobe is way better but a bit harder to learn. Sometimes the KISS method is better. I would elaborate more but don't want to take this off topic.

I use both Gopro Studio ( free ) and Adobe Premier Elements ( not so free ). Adobe is way better but a bit harder to learn. Sometimes the KISS method is better. I would elaborate more but don't want to take this off topic.

Off topic? I had to look to see what it was... Hahaha!

I for one do not. In fact, after 2.5 years of flying 3 Solos successfully and reading so many posts here from Solo owners who obviously never read the Solo User Manual, I can honestly say that I have much higher respect for the 3DR Solo than I have for humanity. At least Solo was designed to be smart, and usually is. Neither can be said of our species.
Mine was sarcasm, btw...

O.K.. Bigger sensor better IQ. But post editing is important also. I don't see this as a deal breaker with video. I use a Sony A5100 for stills and a Phantom or Yuneec can't even come close. It requires a specialized Solo just for it but so what. A good video platform and a good still photo platform may have very little in common.

I have the Nikon D5600 and I completely agree! Of course, I haven't picked the camera up since I bought it. It's just too inconvenient for what I do normally. I'm perfectly happy with the video I get from the Hero 5 with an occasional snap using my phone or the Karma grip. It really all depends on what you're trying to do. Video or photography isn't my number one concern, I literally have a TB+ I've never looked at. I'm in it more for the flying, like back in the RC days. Video is just a bonus to me. I still consider these drones to be basically toys. If I really wanted to get serious about video, instead of buying 5, 10 or 15 Solos or other mid level drones, I'd pony up for a professional grade video rig and fly my Nikon or similar dslr. It's fun on occasion but it always strikes me as funny arguing over which is better, the Mustang, Camaro or Charger while there's a Lambo available! Hahaha!

I have the Nikon D5600 and I completely agree! Of course, I haven't picked the camera up since I bought it. It's just too inconvenient for what I do normally. I'm perfectly happy with the video I get from the Hero 5 with an occasional snap using my phone or the Karma grip. It really all depends on what you're trying to do. Video or photography isn't my number one concern, I literally have a TB+ I've never looked at. I'm in it more for the flying, like back in the RC days. Video is just a bonus to me. I still consider these drones to be basically toys. If I really wanted to get serious about video, instead of buying 5, 10 or 15 Solos or other mid level drones, I'd pony up for a professional grade video rig and fly my Nikon or similar dslr. It's fun on occasion but it always strikes me as funny arguing over which is better, the Mustang, Camaro or Charger while there's a Lambo available! Hahaha!
Ardupilot will run it no problem!!

Yea I bought the Karma over the Mavic for that exact reason... Now I may be eating crow because I ordered the Mavic Pro a few days ago. I'm going to see how obtrusive they really are and decide which drone to keep. Karma also has "no fly zones" but they let you override them after making you aware of it. If DJI does that and let's me override any other restrictions they might put on the unit, then I'll be fine.
I have read much stuff including on DJI forums. You have to jump through hoops to disable NO-FLY ZONES. A warning, with a settings option to disable warnings, is plenty in any free country. The NO-FLY ZONE garbage exists, unadvertised, on Yuneec drones as well. Both companies (DJI and Yuneec) are headquartered in Communist China.

As far as having to move on goes, I hear you. And since everything is made in China, of course China controls which products fail and which products succeed. If necessary, you just grin and bear it.

What do you dislike about the Karma?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pedals2Paddles
I have read much stuff including on DJI forums. You have to jump through hoops to disable NO-FLY ZONES. A warning, with a settings option to disable warnings, is plenty in any free country. The NO-FLY ZONE garbage exists, unadvertised, on Yuneec drones as well. Both companies (DJI and Yuneec) are headquartered in Communist China.

As far as having to move on goes, I hear you. And since everything is made in China, of course China controls which products fail and which products succeed. If necessary, you just grin and bear it.

What do you dislike about the Karma?

It lost gps on me and didn't recover. Plus it was near impossible to get a straight answer about which Gps systems it uses. I was told by a Go Pro rep that it used Glonass, before I bought it. Turns out that is true. I don't like being misled.

Of course now that it knows I've ordered the Mavic, it's flying perfectly! Hahaha! Other than that, the gimbal won't hold up to my sport bike. Which is at least 30% off why I went with the Karma over the Mavic. I really enjoy the versatility of the system as a whole. However, if the drone is going to be wonky and the gimbal is worthless (not really interested in a selfie gimbal), I may as well get the Mavic. It's obviously a better drone and more portable. Besides, I have 2 Solos, the Karma is kind of an in between piece as a drone in my opinion. More portable than the Solo and has a better camera but with out the smart shots.

Last edited:
There is a HUGE difference between something that is simply manufactured in China, and Chinese company.

For example, 3DR is an American company with an American CEO and mostly American employees. It was designed in America at their American headquarter. The actual manufacturing labor was outsourced to a manufacturer in China. That manufacturer built the Solo to 3DR's standards and specifications. There is quality control and supervision. There products used in manufacture are not knockoffs are hacked stolen intellectual property.

DJI is a Chinese owned and operated company. Everything they do is in the best interest of the communist government of China. And they do not have the same standards, rules, and ethics that an American company has. As with anything else, the goal in China is superiority. That's just how China works.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421