Worst tech ever

Sure it is, but the opening statement is your opinion. It was met with counter opinions
Are you saying only your opinion counts?
Right I state my opinion based on actual facts that happened. And I get called names like I'm in grade school. Sensitive group much??
I wish the solo was great. I spent over $1000 hoping for an awesome experience. But I got the opposite. My time is valuable. I want a product that works. Not one where I spend more time fixing and updating it. It's that simple. And the fact they are out of the consumer drone market backs me up

The story behind why solo isn't in the consumer drone Market anymore doesn't mean anything in the context of what you're trying to apply it to

Don't want to catch a beat-down? Don't try to sell it in the same thread that you're bashing it! Okay great thanks

The story behind why solo isn't in the consumer drone Market anymore doesn't mean anything in the context of what you're trying to apply it to

Ok right. It's been a huge success.
Words on a forum are no "beat down" in my world.

Don't want to catch a beat-down? Don't try to sell it in the same thread that you're bashing it! Okay great thanks
Figured the place the drone has fans would be a great platform to sell it. Obviously not true.

Ace, what Rev is the GPS board?
Did you do the GPS cardboard mod prior to flying it?

Right I state my opinion based on actual facts that happened. And I get called names like I'm in grade school. Sensitive group much??
I wish the solo was great. I spent over $1000 hoping for an awesome experience. But I got the opposite. My time is valuable. I want a product that works. Not one where I spend more time fixing and updating it. It's that simple. And the fact they are out of the consumer drone market backs me up
totally ignoring the fact that your experience is not everyones. Still have my original, over 2 years old, and it has crashed 4 times, each time my own error., so sorry your experience is what it was, but its not the final word on what the bird is capable of.. those too are facts

Sell sell we dont need solos bad named by idiots that cant read forums on how to fix it.
I have bought two solo 3dr drones, but I still need a tablet to fly with so I haven't attempted to fly them yet. Can any of you guys inlighten me or point me in the right direction for what I need to correct on the solo so I don't have these issues this guy is talking about? Thank you

I have bought two solo 3dr drones, but I still need a tablet to fly with so I haven't attempted to fly them yet. Can any of you guys inlighten me or point me in the right direction for what I need to correct on the solo so I don't have these issues this guy is talking about? Thank you

Larry,
Do you have a phone you can use? Solo will probably need a software update, and you need a device that can talk to the internet.
Once your software is updated you don't need a phone or tablet to fly, just the controller, but you won't be able to see live video if you have a camera installed.
I think you will find that 90% of folks don't have any issues at all, so don't let the OP scare you off. Fly in an open area, read the manual and ask for help if you get stuck.

Reactions: t-man-d27
Larry,
Do you have a phone you can use? Solo will probably need a software update, and you need a device that can talk to the internet.
Once your software is updated you don't need a phone or tablet to fly, just the controller, but you won't be able to see live video if you have a camera installed.
I think you will find that 90% of folks don't have any issues at all, so don't let the OP scare you off. Fly in an open area, read the manual and ask for help if you get stuck.
I agree. Update the firmware (it will tell you to do so), and fly it manually. I think you'll find it to be very stable and easy to control. There are a lot of nice features that show a history of refinement in the firmware.
My last drone was a Flying3D X8, that was extremely poor in design and firmware. I tried switching it from GPS to Manual during flight, and it came screaming in like a Kamikaze and made a spectacular crash on an asphalt parking lot. Props, motors, legs, etc flying in all directions. Needless to say, I took baby steps with the Solo. If you have a gimbal, your pictures/videos will look like you're on a concrete slab with a tripod, despite wind, etc.

I hope this guy doesnt sell stuff for a living because his aproach needs alot of work! It's a TOTAL POS & COMPLETE GARBAGE... GAURANTEED TO FLY AWAY!!! Wanna buy it?????? WTF!

Would this be better?
Ceam puff of a drone, only flown once on Sunday by a little old lady and it flew beautifully in to the sunset, the spare body, empty bag and other used parts are ready for shipment and the bird will follow when found. A steal at any price!

Did you copy one of my threads? Hahaha! I agree that your approach isn't the best. .. However, your concerns are legitimate. I've owned several Solos with every one having one problem or another. I bought all the mods, GPS shields, GPS modules, antennae, leg extenders, leg sliders, props, gimbal clip, hdmi cable, extended battery for the controller, tablets, etc. I spent way more on mods than I did on the drone itself! Even after all that time and money, I still had a platform that I was nervous to fly. That was still glitch ridden and outdated. Even my last flight with my "A" unit, which resulted in a crash that I thought was my fault, turned out to have been a glitch. The video shows my unit dropping down about 5' into some power lines. I assumed that I must have done it by mistake of it was the fault of my inattention. Turns out that it was some kind of "power management" problem that caused it to momentarily lose power and before it could correct itself, or I could correct it.... power lines, river. I sent back what I have left and I'll see what 3dr says. BTW they haven't mentioned my MRO GPS module yet, I'd be surprised if they don't though. How else do you account for 21 sats on a Solo? I'd imagine that component info is available in the logs, right?

In any case, my advice to the op is to contact 3DR, wait for their response and in the meantime buy a new drone. I saw the Yuneec with real sense, case, Wizard wand, etc for $1200 the other day. I personally went with the Karma for reasons outlined on another thread. If 3DR hooks you up with a "new" refurbished unit, you shouldn't have any trouble selling it here. Oh and considering you can buy a brand new unit for $285 with gimbal and batteries for $50 each...in fact, I can buy everything you have from B&H for $550 brand new, $400 complete kit with backpack and $150 for 3 batteries.

Last edited:
Would this be better?
Ceam puff of a drone, only flown once on Sunday by a little old lady and it flew beautifully in to the sunset, the spare body, empty bag and other used parts are ready for shipment and the bird will follow when found. A steal at any price!

Well there you go! If 3DR sends me a new unit, you can write my ad! I'll have 2 compete units, one unopened, one only test flown- purchased for spare parts, spare gimbal, 2 spare battery chargers, 2 spare batteries, 2 backpacks, 2 sets of MA blades-green and black, 6 pairs of 3DR blades brand new in the box, both 3DR sunshields, a bunch of 3DR spare parts I caught on clearance-legs, phone holder, motor pods (1 ea ccw/cw), etc and a ton of GoPro Hero 4 accessories thrown in for good measure! I was thinking about $3-400 at most.

Last edited:
Is any of that really necessary ? People have different opinions, right?
You are right everyone has a right to their opinion, but don't bull shit a bull shitter............. How many times have you flown it? "one time"

Reactions: cnc74
Wow, that's clearly the voice of a zealot. Do you really mean what you're saying? That's quite a stretch.

Yea that does kinda creep into an almost religious territory doesn't it? 15? Is it me or is that kinda, um, you know?

I have a Solo several Phantoms and an H; Solo has the best flight tech by far of any drone I own. From dynamic altitude to GPS aided follow orbits Solo is amazing even though it's 2 years older than my P4.

Solos downfall for me is the IQ it's not as good as the P3, P4 or H that I own. My solo now has over 200 flight hours and is still going strong. There were a few bumps early on I replaced the GPS module with the mRo unit and went to some long-range antennas but after that my Solo has been rock solid even in the most hostile environments.

My P3 fell apart after about half the amount of flight hours as my Solo; however; my P4 is still going strong it has about 50 flight hours on it. DJI just released more smart shots for my Phantom like follow orbit using active track. Unfortunately active track means I have to stay close in and the link is vulnerable to other subjects, the sun, trees, Etc. I will say my P3 and P4 spit out very good images even under poor conditions however they cannot match the flight envelope of Solo in my opinion.

Reactions: cnc74

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig