The gimbal video thread

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think my camera is tilting to the left about 1 degree. Ideas?

I think my camera is tilting to the left about 1 degree. Ideas?
I'd check you're not setting off with the Solo facing close to south, that the gimbal isn't touching at power on. Once you're sure about those then do a level calibration.

It may just be my computer, but do you get some judder when replaying that video (especially on the faster pans/tilts)? It seems it's not very smooth. Was it on 24fps?
Could be. Honestly I was kinda trying to mix it all up on the video settings and do it "wrong" so to speak, just to experiment and hopefully confirm what I normally do (4K RAWish). My main focus was putting the new gimbal through its paces. Video came out better than expected so I posted it :).

Last edited:
First Gimbal Flight
Up Big Cottonwood Canyon to test out the new gimbal on the solo. the gimbal failed a few times and turned off and the video was a little shaky, but staying positive hopefully 3dr gets some new updates out and starts fixing problems. smart shots work amazing cant wait till they add more of those options! I had to add post stabilize to videos, hopefully you enjoy it! Feedback welcome!
0:30-0:32 youtube's stabilize made the weird transition, in the original video thats not there and i'm not sure how to get rid of it.

First Gimbal Flight
Up Big Cottonwood Canyon to test out the new gimbal on the solo. the gimbal failed a few times and turned off and the video was a little shaky, but staying positive hopefully 3dr gets some new updates out and starts fixing problems. smart shots work amazing cant wait till they add more of those options! I had to add post stabilize to videos, hopefully you enjoy it! Feedback welcome!
0:30-0:32 youtube's stabilize made the weird transition, in the original video thats not there and i'm not sure how to get rid of it.
Nice! You can turn off YouTube stabilization when you upload. I think it is in manager. I have to purposefully turn it on, but that may be my config.

Take a look at my "a word on the gimbal" post. I highly recommend you do it. Since I did it again looking from the top, with the wires in mind, mine has been perfect.

Sure, I can crop, but how much more time will cropping add to the render time? I have no idea? I am still a week out of the country, but once I get back, I will have to run some tests. See, the ideal case would be - Perfect footage, edit it a little bit, upload it, done. If you now have to get rid of fisheye, crop it, color correct it and Stabilizing it, it will add a lot more time to the render job... (I can see that color correcting is something you pretty much always have to do, but the rest should be avoidable with a good gimbal).

Having said that, I believe the Solo should keep the damn legs out of the way at all times.

thanks.
I think you will find that most quads get the legs in the image under similar circumstances (hard maneuvers, strong wind gusts). Phantoms certainly do.

As for the fisheye, thats just the nature of the beast with GoPro cameras. But the fisheye isn't always bad. Its purely a matter of personal taste, but as long as you don't have a flat horizon and a lot of straight lines in your shots, it can actually be pretty cool. It makes mountains loom larger and valleys or canyons crowd into the shot more. These videos were all shot in 4K with no fisheye correction. The last one on a Solo.

(the dam is curved in real life - thats not a fisheye effect, though at the end the fisheye increases the curvature - which I like).

Reactions: Tracy
That was 45 seconds of great videos...love the log cabin. The videos were very crisp with lots of detail.

Fisheye really does have a place in videos, like you said makes things larger or in frame.

Reactions: erikgraham
any help as to why my gimbal is vibrating like crazy? it seems to be centered without touching anything, I removed the battery tray

I think you will find that most quads get the legs in the image under similar circumstances (hard maneuvers, strong wind gusts). Phantoms certainly do.

As for the fisheye, thats just the nature of the beast with GoPro cameras. But the fisheye isn't always bad. Its purely a matter of personal taste, but as long as you don't have a flat horizon and a lot of straight lines in your shots, it can actually be pretty cool. It makes mountains loom larger and valleys or canyons crowd into the shot more. These videos were all shot in 4K with no fisheye correction. The last one on a Solo.

(the dam is curved in real life - thats not a fisheye effect, though at the end the fisheye increases the curvature - which I like).

FYI the "de fisheye" is a lense profile and doesn't reapply anything, so takes zero seconds in most software I know of. In GoPro studio and Premiere it is instantaneous.

If you don't want to apply the lens profile or crop for a tighter FOV, just get a different lens, that is a tighter FOV and also doesn't have fisheye (rectilinear) such as the 4.35mm and 5.44mm lenses sold be PEAU. I use the 5.44 and love it.

The thing that ads time to rendering is color corrections, stabilization, and other effects that change and move pixels around with some intelligence (unlike a lense profile). But if you are going to shoot in RAW, you have set yourself up to do that. If you don't want to do that, just use orotund auto and GoPro color.

The Solo gimbal works wel, and the Solo is very smooth (if you set it that way) The problem with UAV's in general is that you are moving in 3D and sometimes filming action in 3D, and so don't always get smooth centering etc. if you are off and shot a higher resolution than the output, you can center your shots (when needed) and still not degrade the final render.

Of course if you want something cheap, stock, and simple, you can actually edit clips right in some of the cameras or use your phone, and either push them up to the web directly, or throw them at one of the templates (or a modified one) in GoOro Studio, click the fisheye button and be done, color, traditions, music, and all.

FYI the "de fisheye" is a lense profile and doesn't reapply anything, so takes zero seconds in most software I know of. In GoPro studio and Premiere it is instantaneous.

If you don't want to apply the lens profile or crop for a tighter FOV, just get a different lens, that is a tighter FOV and also doesn't have fisheye (rectilinear) such as the 4.35mm and 5.44mm lenses sold be PEAU. I use the 5.44 and love it.

The thing that ads time to rendering is color corrections, stabilization, and other effects that change and move pixels around with some intelligence (unlike a lense profile). But if you are going to shoot in RAW, you have set yourself up to do that. If you don't want to do that, just use orotund auto and GoPro color.

The Solo gimbal works wel, and the Solo is very smooth (if you set it that way) The problem with UAV's in general is that you are moving in 3D and sometimes filming action in 3D, and so don't always get smooth centering etc. if you are off and shot a higher resolution than the output, you can center your shots (when needed) and still not degrade the final render.

Of course if you want something cheap, stock, and simple, you can actually edit clips right in some of the cameras or use your phone, and either push them up to the web directly, or throw them at one of the templates (or a modified one) in GoOro Studio, click the fisheye button and be done, color, traditions, music, and all.

I think you hit reply to the wrong post, but I agree with everything you said. I have the Peau 4.35 mm myself, but as I was saying, I really think people worry too much about fisheye. Then again I generally fly in hilly or mountainous terrain where there is never a straight horizon line (or straight roads, fields, buildings) that would look blatantly distorted. So I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on what your shooting. For me, I find that I often decide to keep the fisheye - as those videos show.

any help as to why my gimbal is vibrating like crazy? it seems to be centered without touching anything, I removed the battery tray
Ouch. That is a bummer. If the center motor is free then the only thing I can think of is that one of the wires is wedged between the shell and the dampener plates, transfering vibration to the gimbal.

I think you hit reply to the wrong post, but I agree with everything you said. I have the Peau 4.35 mm myself, but as I was saying, I really think people worry too much about fisheye. Then again I generally fly in hilly or mountainous terrain where there is never a straight horizon line (or straight roads, fields, buildings) that would look blatantly distorted. So I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on what your shooting. For me, I find that I often decide to keep the fisheye - as those videos show.
I was just sort of talking to the crowd :)

I still say look very closely at the hdmi wire. Pull it left and right. See if it is tugging on the gimbal. In addition to mine going limp (motor binding) it was also shaking/buzzing due to being tugged by the wire. Pull it one way, then the other. See which way is pulling on the gimbal and move it the opposite way to free it up. Not positive that's it, but it sounds suspiciously like what mine was doing.

thank You. Just did that, I have tried putting it back at least 10 times and nothing. Gimbal is boxed already to send it back.

I still say look very closely at the hdmi wire. Pull it left and right. See if it is tugging on the gimbal. In addition to mine going limp (motor binding) it was also shaking/buzzing due to being tugged by the wire. Pull it one way, then the other. See which way is pulling on the gimbal and move it the opposite way to free it up. Not positive that's it, but it sounds suspiciously like what mine was doing.

took battery tray off, GPS cover off and opened it up, took gimbal out and re-install and I think all cables are route ok but when the gimbal moves it makes a little noise like for 1 or 1.5 seconds, not a loud nois. is it supposed to make any noise or nothing at all when it moves?
First Gimbal Flight
Great job on the Video...the picture looks amazing!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44