Solo Distance Test plus Alfa Antenna Addition

Is there a trick to these Alpha antennas? I got about 1800 - 2000 ft. with the stock antennas. I flew the same route with the Alphas and it lost signal every time around 800 feet. Junk if you ask me.

I also seemed to get slightly worse distance with the alphas.

What about using longer, higher dbi omni-directional antennas? I have looked at some one amazon that are 9 or 10 dbi. Would something like that work better? They are usually longer 10-15" but if you can better range and video, I'd deal with the longer antenna.

My alphas arrive Monday, I will report my results here then.

EDIT: They are in my mailbox today, if the rain stops I'm going to try them out sooner.

Last edited:
If you're getting worse range with the Alfas, you're either using them wrong or they're both defective.

The high gain Omnis in my opinion are not worth it. You're wasting RF in all directions that could otherwise be focused in the direction of the solo. They're huge, clunky, in the way, and just asking to get broken. And you still need to have them angled so they're broadside aiming at the solo. There is no free lunch. I wouldn't bother with omnis of more the 3db.

so i got the antenna in today. once and for all which way should these be pointed? down 20% with letters aimed at drone?

I aim mine down twored the ground with the lettering facing twored the drone. I have gotten a half mile range with my Alfa antennas just tested them today

Specs from 3DR said .5 miles. I hit .44 with alpha today. Tried pointing the antenna down and lost signal at 700ft. Maybe was a fluke.

Honestly .5mile is good enough for me but I want to make sure it is reliable. I did an orbit shot around a temple and had rth kick in. Which was really scary.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado