Solo Distance Test plus Alfa Antenna Addition

Reaction score
So, not much else to say :) tested the solo today in high winds. Then tested again with a cheap antenna that someone posted here a few days ago.
it works well.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: DodgeP
Nice, the "increase" in range is actually closer to 50%. Decrease going to back to stock is about 30%.

Yeah, you are right... Im in the IT storage world too where double the space via compression is not 50% :) so yeah thats my bad... its a nice boost though. and it works well.
Cant wait to get bigger and better.
Wonder how much better you can get with like linksys wifi reall high gain ones.

I bought a pair, sent them back because something was broken inside one of them. You can hear it bouncing around in there. Waiting on another pair.

How fast were you going? I noticed when I plan on shooting for the stars, I'm not cruising any faster than 8MPH. That seems to be the sweet spot for increased range.

Up until 2000 ft, about 40mph, down wind.. the last 1000 ft, about 10... yeah i agree the slower the better when pushing it for range.

Im the one who posted the thread. Im glad your experience was as good as mine.

Is there a trick to these Alpha antennas? I got about 1800 - 2000 ft. with the stock antennas. I flew the same route with the Alphas and it lost signal every time around 800 feet. Junk if you ask me.

Reactions: bluesgeek
Do you have them facing the right way, and aiming at the solo? They're more directional than the stock antennas.

Do you have them facing the right way, and aiming at the solo? They're more directional than the stock antennas.

How should they be positioned? Should I have the Alpha lettering facing me or the drone? Should they be pointed up or down?

I'll give it one more try. I positioned them many different ways and wasnt having much success. I've heard good things about them so maybe I got a bad batch.

Just curious..... Some Alfa antenna users have mentioned it's best to use one stock antenna and one Alfa with the controller. Does anyone know the logic behind this? Wouldn't two Alfa's be better than one?

The Alfa antenna is very directional, while the stock one is not. One would have to be more careful about being correctly aligned to the Solo when using two Alfas.

Reactions: Duncan Johnston
Using two different antennas is not ideal. The Solo uses MiMo, not simple diversity like the days of old. Both antennas are used at the same time in MiMo. And for MiMo to work properly, you need the same antennas doing the same thing. If you use one omni and one directional, you will lose bandwidth once one or the other is no long able to reach. This will compromise both control and video stability. So you really need to pick one or the other based on the mission. If you're staying close by, use both omnis. If you're going for distance, use both directionals.

Using two different antennas is not ideal. The Solo uses MiMo, not simple diversity like the days of old. Both antennas are used at the same time in MiMo. And for MiMo to work properly, you need the same antennas doing the same thing. If you use one omni and one directional, you will lose bandwidth once one or the other is no long able to reach. This will compromise both control and video stability. So you really need to pick one or the other based on the mission. If you're staying close by, use both omnis. If you're going for distance, use both directionals.

This is why after trying some Alfas I decided to go with the FPVLR antenna. I have flown overhead and somewhat behind myself without losing connection unless I forget to turn around for too long. After making the switch I just no longer worry about distance or orientation; if I can see the Solo things are usually fine. As a matter of fact even when I can't see it, as long as it is in front of me things are fine.

Well just returned from the desert for a long-range test. For background, this is my second Solo; first one I received I paired up with my HTC 10 mobile, only to find it was an "incompatible device." So I ordered a cheap ($140) Samsung tablet, which was compatible. When I then tried to connect the tablet, no joy, couldn't see the Sololink wifi. Hours on phone with chat support, no success. Solo returned to Amazon, new one ordered.
So one week later, second Solo arrives on the windiest day of the week (gusts 30 to 40 MPH). I couldn't resist, so flew it briefly in the park behind my house, watched it fight the wind like a champ.

Next day, today.....
Still super windy outside, but I couldn't wait. Drove to a parking spot by open desert, walked out another 100 yards or so to be away from high-tension power lines. I had two fully-charged batteries.

First test: Stock antennas. Made it out to approx. 2600 feet before LOS and RTH triggered. Not bad.

Next test: swapped out stock antennae for both Alfas. For unknown reason, could not get video, period. Flight aborted. So.....

Third test: One stock antenna, one Alfa (as some here have suggested as the best combo). At 5000 feet distance video gone, but whatevs. Continued flying. Made it to approximately 6400 feet distance before I chickened out and hit "Home" button, as battery was below 50% at that point. Solo was WELL beyond visual range, which was a little disturbing since I just bought it. Altitude was around 250 feet. HEAVY crosswinds. I couldn't reacquire visually until it was almost directly above my head, more panic.

Very impressive upgrade for a $9 modification. Maybe someday I'll shell out the cash for the FPVLR antenna, but I'm cool for now!

Regarding the video, it was most likely a GoPro malfunction. After fighting that battle many times, when I have video that doesn't work:

1. Shut down
  2. Battery pull on GoPro
  3. Battery pull on controller
  4. Restart
Usually everything comes back to life.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member