Solo Disappearance - Now RECOVERED

Heading back out tonight with someone who has some tree trimming experience. Probably won't go for it tonight but make a plan of attack. Fingers crossed.

Do yourself and listen to those here who are suggesting you hire a *professional" tree climber! Unless this fellow with "some tree trimming experience" is an experienced pro climber, don't even think about it. I've worked closely with a number of such tree climbers and from what I can tell of the images you posted it would not be difficult at all to retrieve your Solo-- INTACT.

Do yourself and listen to those here who are suggesting you hire a *professional" tree climber! Unless this fellow with "some tree trimming experience" is an experienced pro climber, don't even think about it. I've worked closely with a number of such tree climbers and from what I can tell of the images you posted it would not be difficult at all to retrieve your Solo-- INTACT.

I think it's extremely difficult to tell how easy/hard something involving a tree is from a photo, as you have no sense of depth, scale, angle, etc. I have a guy looking at it on Friday who used to be a professional tree trimmer so we will see what he says.

I think it's extremely difficult to tell how easy/hard something involving a tree is from a photo, as you have no sense of depth, scale, angle, etc. I have a guy looking at it on Friday who used to be a professional tree trimmer so we will see what he says.

Think positive! :cool:
Who owns the property where the Solo landed?

If you know any electrical utility people, they have +35' poles (extendo) that could pluck it out from the ground. If you were in my neck of the woods I could do the same...keep that in mind @Raybro or other SoTx pilots...

And then get another stuck in the same tree now that would be a heck of a bad day!
The number one joke I have heard is to get another drone to retrieve it, and each time I give that same response. Of course my other drone is a Parrot AR.Drone 2, which I have NO DOUBT would end up stuck in the tree (or more likely dip itself into the river).

If you know any electrical utility people, they have +35' poles (extendo) that could pluck it out from the ground. If you were in my neck of the woods I could do the same...keep that in mind @Raybro or other SoTx pilots...

That's a good thought. I wonder if they have the ability to work at a 45 degree angle?

That's a good thought. I wonder if they have the ability to work at a 45 degree angle?
Well 45 degrees is a steep angle for working these sticks, normally they are used straight up. But if there are any branches/limbs below to help support that angle approach, then sure it could be done. But then you have half the vertical reach...

Well 45 degrees is a steep angle for working these sticks, normally they are used straight up. But if there are any branches/limbs below to help support that angle approach, then sure it could be done. But then you have half the vertical reach...

Yeah, that's the tricky part. No branches really below it, and the "ground" below it is 4 foot high water in the river.

We might combine a tree trimmer cutting the branch with someone in a canoe waiting to grab when it comes down. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Yeah, that's the tricky part. No branches really below it, and the "ground" below it is 4 foot high water in the river.

We might combine a tree trimmer cutting the branch with someone in a canoe waiting to grab when it comes down. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?
You mentioned a tree trimmer. If they also remove full grown trees they should have or have access to a bucket truck that could extend out to it.

Jub, not sure you would get anyone to drive across a field that's been recently flooded. This is farm ground and no bottom to it when it's wet. Would surprise me !

Reactions: Jason C
Jub, not sure you would get anyone to drive across a field that's been recently flooded. This is farm ground and no bottom to it when it's wet. Would surprise me !
Probably right. Not familiar with the ground there. Just assumed he was able to drive to it.

You mentioned a tree trimmer. If they also remove full grown trees they should have or have access to a bucket truck that could extend out to it.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Keep in mind you have to go down and up a ravine to even get to these trees, and they are in the middle of thick brush with a steep muddy incline into a river on one side and a corn field on the other with no space between the trees/brush and the corn field. This is the back edge of corn field rows, and there is no access path between them and the river. In fact, from the nearest access point to the field, some 1500 feet up the road, you can't even walk to the river through the field as there is a deep creek in between. Even if I could get permission to take the tree next to it down, there's no way to get equipment up there short of an excavator or doing some dirt work too.

Image not to scale, but you get the idea. Between the bridge/road and the tree line is a deep ditch that intersects the river bed. So you have to go down and up this ditch to get to the tree line. That ditch is entirely mud, and even after a week of drying a person sinks inches into it.

I don't say all of this to be a pessimist - in fact I have been out there daily with different people looking for approaches. It's just to say it's not nearly as simple as some people think.

(Oh yeah, and due to the construction on the bridge, no vehicles are allowed within 1500 feet of the bridge, so everything has to be carried in, then through the mess described above).

IMG_9738.JPG

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Keep in mind you have to go down and up a ravine to even get to these trees, and they are in the middle of thick brush with a steep muddy incline into a river on one side and a corn field on the other with no space between the trees/brush and the corn field. This is the back edge of corn field rows, and there is no access path between them and the river. In fact, from the nearest access point to the field, some 1500 feet up the road, you can't even walk to the river through the field as there is a deep creek in between. Even if I could get permission to take the tree next to it down, there's no way to get equipment up there short of an excavator or doing some dirt work too.

Image not to scale, but you get the idea. Between the bridge/road and the tree line is a deep ditch that intersects the river bed. So you have to go down and up this ditch to get to the tree line. That ditch is entirely mud, and even after a week of drying a person sinks inches into it.

I don't say all of this to be a pessimist - in fact I have been out there daily with different people looking for approaches. It's just to say it's not nearly as simple as some people think.

(Oh yeah, and due to the construction on the bridge, no vehicles are allowed within 1500 feet of the bridge, so everything has to be carried in, then through the mess described above).

View attachment 597
Understood. It certainly is not going to be easy at all. We all hope the best for you though, that's why we keep making suggestions. We have seen the rescues of quads by Hexes and Octos though. Point the FPV cam straight down and fashion a line with a hook. But not sure how close to the top of the tree it is.

Another view of the situation.
IMG_9739.JPG

The branch going out over the water ranges from probably 6" to 3-4" thick as it goes up and out. Overall at roughly a 45 degree angle though it goes over and even straight up at times.

Understood. It certainly is not going to be easy at all. We all hope the best for you though, that's why we keep making suggestions. We have seen the rescues of quads by Hexes and Octos though. Point the FPV cam straight down and fashion a line with a hook. But not sure how close to the top of the tree it is.

I saw that video too, but I suspect the hook could just as easily hook the tree!

Please, keep throwing out suggestions. I want to solve this more than anyone. Right now the prevailing plan includes a canoe in the river and someone either climbing out and cutting the limb or shooting it down. Either way sounds risky.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado