Well she's gone !....

I think I may put my info on my Solo just in case this occurs-
Name / Contact Info / Reward
Any reward will cost less than replacement. Thinking your situation is definitely a learning experience for many!!

@Learning2Fly sorry to hear about this. I know exactly how it feels to lose your drone - the GoPro and the gimbal and especially clips that you haven't uploaded are the biggest stings. I had a battery brown out over the Atlantic Ocean a few weeks ago and the bird just dive in the water. I hope you find yours somehow. Maybe I missed it here but did you put your contact number/info on the bird?

There are a number of ways to get the log files. Take a look at this thread from @carpy:
https://3drpilots.com/threads/download-system-logs-from-controller-and-solo.11242/#post-116922

Also - once RTL is started, hitting the Fly button is the way to take back control. Fly:Manual isn't going to do it.

The TLog from the controller will have the path and possibly location before communication with the controller was lost.

Solex users have two benefits in a situation like this:
1) There is a feature to locate your Solo - "Find my vehicle" - will show last known location on a map
2) There is another feature that you can enable to save logs, then TLogs for every flight are saved directly to your Android device

Ok I have found the saved tlogs in Solex now where or how do I post them and to whom?

Well I just ended up emailing them to myself after after solex created the zip file. So if someone who knows how to read them or whatever just let me know and I'll get em to ya.
Thanks

This something I'm happily doing away with in my Open Solo modifications. As designed, the Solo uses a smart shot called Return Home or Rewind for failsafes and for when you push the home button. When in these "smart shots", the A & B buttons are disabled and the so are sticks. The only thing you are allowed to do is push FLY or Pause. And I think you can use the left stick for camera pointing. You can't change modes or do anything else. This is like 4 different layers of unnecessary complication and unnecessary points of failure for something that is supposed to be a failsafe. If anything goes wrong in any of that complication, you're screwed. On numerous occasions I've had the solo get basically stuck in the air because damn sticks and buttons were disabled. I had to watch it just sit there hovering until the battery died and it crashed. And I'm not the only one. Oh, and there is also a line of code in there that locks out the buttons when the EKF goes bad, which is likely what happened to the OP. This is also stupid. Locking the operator out of controlling the copter in an emergency is insane. Normal controls do not get restored until it is in the final landing phase.

In my revision of Open Solo, I have dispensed with all of that crap. The failsafes use ArduCopter RTL mode, plain and simple. None of this smart shot complication. The buttons remain unlocked. The sticks remain unlocked. You can push any button you want and take control in any way you want. And in the mode change callbacks, I modified it to cope with botched smart shot exits, which is what causes a lot of the grief. Any mode changes also fires off code that ensures buttons and sticks are in normal modes, not remapped or locked out. Open Solo will also be safer solo. Making solo safe again.

Very interested in your open Solo app, what's the ETA?

Keep up with the social media- of someone found it- they will tell everyone they know- Throw out a small reward- like $50... It's going to show up as long as there wasn't a large body of water nearby that it could have ended up in-,
Did you give B&H photo a call and ask if they would sell you the bundle for $349?
Curios why b and h would knock fifty off?

B&H knocked $50 off for me because I ordered 2 of the Solo/Gimbal/Extra Battery packages they advertised for $273.95- ( it didn't take long to figure out this was a mistake and did not include a gimbal even though it stated otherwise ) They knocked $50 off the package-

B&H knocked $50 off for me because I ordered 2 of the Solo/Gimbal/Extra Battery packages they advertised for $273.95- ( it didn't take long to figure out this was a mistake and did not include a gimbal even though it stated otherwise ) They knocked $50 off the package-
Nice.

I reality 275 or less would be the going rate today if it were not for the speculative gimbal activity and I suspect the moment I buy one that's the price it will nose dive to - lol.

Hey- I hear you loud and clear. I'm thinking the prices are starting to rebound a little as people join this forum and realize the difficult and technological efforts individuals are putting into Solo to make it better and keeping it in the air!! And guys developing awesome modifications for Solo to enhance both performance and safety!!
Those $39 gimbals are gone but I still see 3DR gimbals
being restocked on Amazon; and B&H rec'd new stock Saturday morning. So they are out there somewhere!
I keep my eyes open and search craigslist for local sales ( those that tried Solo out and decided it wasn't for them..) There are still people out there that are willing to get just their initial investment back or a little less so they can get into something else.
Keep an eye out!!

Amazon has the 3DR Solo Bundle (no gimbal) for $230 right now. Free Prime shipping
https://www.amazon.com/3DR-Solo-Qua...=UTF8&qid=1505076318&sr=8-3&keywords=3DR+Solo

EBay has the 3DR Factory Refurbished Solo packages for less than $200 (plus $21 shipping)
3DR - Solo Drone - Black - FACTORY RB Quadcopter SA11A for GoPro Camera
3DR - Solo Drone - Black - FACTORY RB Quadcopter SA11A for GoPro Camera | eBay

Ebay has brand new gimbals for $168 shipped
NEW 3-Axis 3DR Solo Gimbal for GoPro - international and domestic shipping
NEW 3-Axis 3DR Solo Gimbal for GoPro - international and domestic shipping | eBay

Reactions: tickingheart
Amazon is brand new and the ebay unit is refurbished- and Amazon stands behind your purchase. If you have an issue, Amazon will make it right. No shipping cost for Prime members, this is a no-brainer!
At $168 for a gimbal, thinking it was $499 when it was initially released?

Reactions: OldCoder
Amazon is brand new and the ebay unit is refurbished- and Amazon stands behind your purchase. If you have an issue, Amazon will make it right. No shipping cost for Prime members, this is a no-brainer!
At $168 for a gimbal, thinking it was $499 when it was initially released?
The gimbal was $499 back in 2015 when released?

Amazon has the 3DR Solo Bundle (no gimbal) for $230 right now. Free Prime shipping
https://www.amazon.com/3DR-Solo-Qua...=UTF8&qid=1505076318&sr=8-3&keywords=3DR+Solo

EBay has the 3DR Factory Refurbished Solo packages for less than $200 (plus $21 shipping)
3DR - Solo Drone - Black - FACTORY RB Quadcopter SA11A for GoPro Camera
3DR - Solo Drone - Black - FACTORY RB Quadcopter SA11A for GoPro Camera | eBay

Ebay has brand new gimbals for $168 shipped
NEW 3-Axis 3DR Solo Gimbal for GoPro - international and domestic shipping
NEW 3-Axis 3DR Solo Gimbal for GoPro - international and domestic shipping | eBay

It's the 229 for the base that has me the most interested as it suits my use case (fly the Solo for fun in manual/sport mode closer to how i fly other RC) and let my P4P and Mavic take care of filming duties. Backpack would be nice to have although I don't even like to lug my p4p in a pack and I believe the Solo is a bit heavier. Extra battery, actually probably 2 would be needed. I have two Hero 4's ... so thus the conundrum of wanting the gimbal - just not sure I want to invest 400. I'm sure many/lots, and maybe even most that jumped on the BB deals had no idea what they were getting themselves into and have either dumped or will dump shortly their Solo so deals on the used market should continue BUT.... like anything used there are likely to be issues with gimbal, flight or something else whereas buying new if it does not work, ship it back and repeat.

well then you may want to purchase the Solo/ Gimbal/Backpack from B&H - its listed on their website for $399...
they cut me a deal and sold it to me for $349.
The backpack is selling for $80-$100
and if the gimbal isn't important to you, you could sell it easily for $150-maybe $200. You would have a Solo with one battery and backpack for $200 or so?

Nice to see that B&H has restocked the Solo Gimbal ... Kind of interesting that previously they have marked these as "discontinued" and now they have more stock... I wonder if that is an indication that these gimbals are still being factory produced?

Reactions: tickingheart
I think there must be someone with a stock-pile of them and are releasing them strategically- B&H hasn't had 3DR gimbals ( discontinued ) for several weeks now- occasionally they will have some refurbished units that were selling for $140-$150.
But now they have new units- but they aren't offering any Solo/Gimbal combos.... yet.
I'm pretty sure the factories are no longer fabricating new gimbals.

I think there must be someone with a stock-pile of them and are releasing them strategically- B&H hasn't had 3DR gimbals ( discontinued ) for several weeks now- occasionally they will have some refurbished units that were selling for $140-$150.
But now they have new units- but they aren't offering any Solo/Gimbal combos.... yet.
I'm pretty sure the factories are no longer fabricating new gimbals.
Are you sure? I assumed the 399 was the solo with gimbal installed not just thrown in the box ie retail. The fact or high possibility that the real combo's would come with rev b was one strong point in going with the 399 deal -- if it's just thrown in the box then it's a toss-up.

Last edited:
They have had the Solo/Gimbal/backpack combo the whole time- I'm not interested in anymore backpacks- wouldn't mind a few more Solo/Gimbal combos for $299- but wholesalers make those decisions before b&h receives items and b&h will not break up a package deal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea