Solo - Loss of GPS connection, followed by hard landing - with video

I like to press and hold the pause button as soon as it touches down regardless of a manual or automated landing to turn off the rotors ASAP upon touchdown.

That might be the cause of the problem. Pressing and holding down the pause button does not turn off the rotors. It initiates Rewind, which would be a Bad Thing to do after touchdown.

EDIT: Oops, now I see that richnat is not the OP. IMHO, it's still a bad idea.

Reactions: reelcrazyfish
That might be the cause of the problem. Pressing and holding down the pause button does not turn off the rotors. It initiates Rewind, which would be a Bad Thing to do after touchdown.

EDIT: Oops, now I see that richnat is not the OP. IMHO, it's still a bad idea.

Let me quote from the manual:

5.3 Landing
To land Solo at its current location, hold the Fly button.
Figure 5.3.1: Controller - User-Initiated Landing
After landing, the propellers will stop spinning automatically; wait until the propellers stop spinning before approaching Solo. If the propellers do not stop, press the controller’s Pause button or use the emergency shutoff option described in Section 4.9.5.

I've tried it, it works. That said, the Solo must be firmly on the ground first or it will try to take off again. The props do not always stop when it lands like it should but the Pause button shuts them off pronto as long as it is on the ground. Maybe your issue is with the phase "press and hold". I should have said "press the pause button". Holding it is not necessary. I've edited my earlier post for future clarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: reelcrazyfish
Pressing pause is vastly different than pressing and holding pause. You said you do the latter. The manual describes the former. And neither are proper procedure for landing despite what the manual says.

Long pressing pause activates rewind. That's a great way to crash. Single pressing pause activates brake mode on the Pixhawk, which has no application to landing. In fact it is more likely to make you crash than make you stop. I'm shocked 3DR put that line in their manual. It should not be there. Don't do it.

Please read this to learn how it knows it's landed and how to handle it acting stupid while landing: Recognizing, avoiding, and responding to botched landings

I've read a lot of posts where people are flying over water without issue, but is there any chance that the GPS got confused by signal reflection off the water?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela