Lost GPS and CRASHED

When GPS is lost, Solo switches to manual automatically.
That doesn't mean it stays there. And it only makes that switch if you are in a GPS mode to begin with. What the pause button does has nothing to do with the initial response to a lost GPS.

Ok. I found that I have a Rev A GPS board on both units. Ordered the upgrade. I will also get out in the field today and fly manual a lot.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Solo bundles are great and your deal sounds even better. I think the Solo kit is fine but does require a bit more knowledge and attention to detail when flying than say other platforms being used to capture areal's such as dji's. Unfortunately the gimbal is going for more than a solo currently - hope you are able to salvage yours.

The big thing with solo is the ability to set it to a certain path in autonomous mode. Not sure dji can do that.

The big thing with solo is the ability to set it to a certain path in autonomous mode. Not sure dji can do that.

Oh yea there's a ton of autonomous modes in the Mavic, they recently even included all of the Spark modes. What the Mavic won't do, I think, is incorporate gimbal movements, panning and flight into a autonomous move. I.E. fly to point A, pan up and left, then fly to point B, pan down and right, then fly to point C and orbit. You can program the Solo to do that over and over.

With the Mavic, I can program to different way points and then control up/ down/ left/ right with the controller.

They both have specific features the other doesn't. Fly by phone and gesture mode comes to mind immediately. If Mavic starts having MPCC, which is a software feature they could easily add. I'm not sure what will be left to say... Heck, the word is the next gen will have spherical obstacle avoidance and HDR or 8k video. If that happens and they maintain a similar price point, stick a fork in it for the other drone manufacturers in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oh yea there's a ton of autonomous modes in the Mavic, they recently even included all of the Spark modes. What the Mavic won't do, I think, is incorporate gimbal movements, panning and flight into a autonomous move. I.E. fly to point A, pan up and left, then fly to point B, pan down and right, then fly to point C and orbit. You can program the Solo to do that over and over.

With the Mavic, I can program to different way points and then control up/ down/ left/ right with the controller.

They both have specific features the other doesn't. Fly by phone and gesture mode comes to mind immediately. If Mavic starts having MPCC, which is a software feature they could easily add. I'm not sure what will be left to say... Heck, the word is the next gen will have spherical obstacle avoidance and HDR or 8k video. If that happens and they maintain a similar price point, stick a fork in it for the other drone manufacturers in my opinion.

True to that. So, I have to admit that i am sticking with Solo purely by chance. Honestly, after the last two debacles I am not that sure about staying with it anymore. Besides, progress marches on, as you note. Solo will be outdated very soon.

Other than gps, the "IMU ERROR" should also be considered for these types of problems. A few tips for Imu error: Damaged motor / propeller balances, high vibration, electronic interference ...

The name of this unfortunate situation in the DJI world is: FLY AWAY ! Bad GPS lock, insufficient satellite, high k-index. It happened twice and it was creepy!

Looking at log records may be useful for diagnosis.

Can anything be done to prevent this?...

Yes. Just like others suggested, read the manual and upgrade gps. I've had great results with stock Rev B and MRos. But here is another tip. Do not attempt to take off on side of busy road or highway. Your video shows why it is dangerous especially when you have not read manual and are unsure what you are doing. If drone goes off course and slams into moving car windshield it's big problem.

Yes. Just like others suggested, read the manual and upgrade gps. I've had great results with stock Rev B and MRos. But here is another tip. Do not attempt to take off on side of busy road or highway. Your video shows why it is dangerous especially when you have not read manual and are unsure what you are doing. If drone goes off course and slams into moving car windshield it's big problem.

I agree with flying far away from people until you can trust your drone to behave and you can trust yourself to control it. Heck, I've been flying drones for 5 or 6 years and today was one of the only times I've had people within 100' of me. I'm only just starting to trust my Mavic after about 30 hours flight time.

can´t wait for the optical flow, in a situation like that optical flow would assist you to maintain position without GPS

3. When you go into manual mode and the drone is some distance from you what is the best strategy to bring it back? I was thinking about pushing both levers somewhat to the right, so that it flies in circle and can figure out which way it is directed.

get yourself the polar pro LED´s, you can see the orientation of the bird from a distance, this is essential for flying manual.
If you have no LED´s on your bird try to look on your phone/tablet, this is the direction your bird is pointing at.

Last edited:
Hi Olegred, I suggest you keep your Solo to the ground some months and start training with a small pratice drone of 60$.
From what I see on the video your have difficulties to hover against the wind and get your solo under control.
Also check the Kp-index etc...

One thing to remember, forward on the joystick is the direction the camera is facing. If you get into trouble look at your LCD and make sure the drone is facing away from you. Then all you have to do is pull the joystick backwards which will bring the drone back to you. If the camera is facing in the direction you're standing the right and left directions are reversed on the joystick. If you're bringing the drone back with the camera pointing toward you can always turn your back to the drone and look over your shoulder so you don't get disoriented as to the left or right direction.
Hope this makes sense...
Plus flying with all the tall buildings in a business district with all the wi-fi interference you probably want to avoid until you get used to flying manually. Or avoid it altogether.

Manual mode in the wind is hard to grasp if you get hard lateral drift. It seems Solo is taking off on its own and it's hard to figure out what controller inputs are needed. Do beat yourself up.

Step one is to take a deep breath and not panic.

Step two is climb! Gain altitude immediately.

Step three try to visually determine orientation of Solo in relation to you. If you can't tell use the camera view.

Step four use only yaw and forward inputs to fly out of trouble. Think of it like driving a boat or jet ski- no brakes and you counter direction by spinning. Get the nose into the wind and power will save you. Practice that maneuver. Drive forward out of trouble vs trying to figure out left right back forward.

When flying always think about how you'd recover if you lost GPS. Take note of wind direction and solo orientation and keep in mind what your recovery plan is. (Hard wind from left you know if you lose gps you're going to yaw left nose into the wind and use forward stick to stop drift. Then spin toward home and fly)

It also helps to keep a mental check list of emergency recovery actions you will take

Situational awareness and orientation is key, and you must realize how the controller functions in various modes you need a lot of practice before flying near people cars and trees. The outcome could have been pretty bad if you had hit someone. I'm not judging or harping on you but be careful and do learn to fly in manual mode, do it on a calm day at first then do it on a windy day once you have better control, you will find its easier than you think. Glad no one was hurt and lesson learned for all of us.

I agree with flying far away from people until you can trust your drone to behave and you can trust yourself to control it. Heck, I've been flying drones for 5 or 6 years and today was one of the only times I've had people within 100' of me. I'm only just starting to trust my Mavic after about 30 hours flight time.

I fly in urban environment, period. So, as much as I appreciate your advice, for me it defeats the purpose. I do think you are right about haviing more practice. I need to get better at manual flight.

Hi Olegred, I suggest you keep your Solo to the ground some months and start training with a small pratice drone of 60$.
From what I see on the video your have difficulties to hover against the wind and get your solo under control.
Also check the Kp-index etc...

Last Solo I bought cost me $79 on eBay, so it is a cheap drone.

can´t wait for the optical flow, in a situation like that optical flow would assist you to maintain position without GPS

get yourself the polar pro LED´s, you can see the orientation of the bird from a distance, this is essential for flying manual.
If you have no LED´s on your bird try to look on your phone/tablet, this is the direction your bird is pointing at.

Good advice.

Manual mode in the wind is hard to grasp if you get hard lateral drift. It seems Solo is taking off on its own and it's hard to figure out what controller inputs are needed. Do beat yourself up.

Step one is to take a deep breath and not panic.

Step two is climb! Gain altitude immediately.

Step three try to visually determine orientation of Solo in relation to you. If you can't tell use the camera view.

Step four use only yaw and forward inputs to fly out of trouble. Think of it like driving a boat or jet ski- no brakes and you counter direction by spinning. Get the nose into the wind and power will save you. Practice that maneuver. Drive forward out of trouble vs trying to figure out left right back forward.

When flying always think about how you'd recover if you lost GPS. Take note of wind direction and solo orientation and keep in mind what your recovery plan is. (Hard wind from left you know if you lose gps you're going to yaw left nose into the wind and use forward stick to stop drift. Then spin toward home and fly)

It also helps to keep a mental check list of emergency recovery actions you will take

Best advice on how to actually handle this situation so far, thank you. Your comment shows your experience. I will practise your advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela