Solex for Solo

No. Download just saved it to your phone/tablet. To install it on the solo, you need to be connected to the solo, click the package, and select install.

Reactions: Kelly Schrock
I like the idea of doing a "Save As" operation, and I'll add that to my list of things to build. As for the other option, that's a bit more difficult. A Solex mission isn't actually a "mission" until you send it to the copter. There's a bunch of extra information in it (actions, etc) and it's laid out differently (ROIs don't appear inline with other items in Solex). So it would probably be possible to build something that shows the downloaded mission as a different set of markers on the map, for the purposes of validation. How does that sound? I like the idea, but would need to think about how to put it together so it didn't look terrible. :)

Thanks Kelly for replying and understanding my basic request.
The Save As is what I'm looking for. When modifying an existing mission you could save under a new name rather than starting all over.
The second item may need more clarification.
In Tower after uploading a mission to the copter I would clear the mission from my tablet. Then I'd download the mission from copter to tablet. This procedure confirmed to me that the mission loaded correctly and what was in the copter was what I intended to fly. Nothing but another form of double checking prior to flying the mission.
Thanks for considering my wish items, and a big thank you for all the support and communication.

Reactions: Kelly Schrock
Just bought this app and tested out the optical follow. I haven't had much luck. I did the viewing angel multiple times...I walk out, I am in the box, I dropped a cone, went to the other box, repeated. Inputed the numbers and away we go. So, I have only been able to get it to successfully follow me once. So I know it can work. What am I doing wrong?

I am out on a sunny day on a soccer field, so really no shadows or change in background. I am on a nexus 7. Many times I would hit the smart shot, draw the rectangle, and the start wouldn't even be an option. So I would hit cancel and try again. Seems VERY buggy to me, but maybe it is just me. Any fixes? Anyone else experience this?

In Tower after uploading a mission to the copter I would clear the mission from my tablet. Then I'd download the mission from copter to tablet. This procedure confirmed to me that the mission loaded correctly and what was in the copter was what I intended to fly. Nothing but another form of double checking prior to flying the mission.

I do this exact same thing in Tower prior to every mission. It is a great double check and it has caused me to catch an error more than once.

In fact if you combine this with the "Save As .." it will implement a request I penned to the Solex author a bit ago.

I do this exact same thing in Tower prior to every mission. It is a great double check and it has caused me to catch an error more than once.

In fact if you combine this with the "Save As .." it will implement a request I penned to the Solex author a bit ago.

I have used the same procedure with MP and Tower with confidence that things will go well when the mission is started.

Just bought this app and tested out the optical follow. I haven't had much luck. I did the viewing angel multiple times...I walk out, I am in the box, I dropped a cone, went to the other box, repeated. Inputed the numbers and away we go. So, I have only been able to get it to successfully follow me once. So I know it can work. What am I doing wrong?

I am out on a sunny day on a soccer field, so really no shadows or change in background. I am on a nexus 7. Many times I would hit the smart shot, draw the rectangle, and the start wouldn't even be an option. So I would hit cancel and try again. Seems VERY buggy to me, but maybe it is just me. Any fixes? Anyone else experience this?

Follow/Optical is something I've been working on for a long time, and it's both cool and infuriating. I've had days where it works pretty well, and other days where it just sucks. :) Similar conditions on both. One thing I've noticed lately is an oscillation while it's following. It will start to come closer, then back off, then closer, then off, getting more pronounced and violent each time. Eventually I just get annoyed and stop the shot. "Buggy" is a decent word to apply to it, but trust me, it's not for lack of effort. It's more that it's a hard problem to solve, apparently. I'm tracking the movement of an object from a moving vantage point, which tends to really confuse the object tracking. So I have a bunch of stuff in there to try and predict where the object is going to move, which is complicated. A guy who works in the field of "computer vision" took a look at it, and said "I have good news and bad news. The good news is that this is about as good as it's possible to do with your hardware constraints. The bad news is that this is about as good as it's possible to do with your hardware constraints." :) But I'm still trying. My advice is to try it on occasion, but keep your expectations low, haha.

hi there, just did my first panormana with Solex and it work great.
use a gopro 3+black with the stock lens and despite some "auto exposure" issues (out of our control) and some really minor parallax error (nothing serious and very easy to repair) the panorama looks very good overall...

click here to watch it Moravia

hi there, just did my first panormana with Solex and it work great.
use a gopro 3+black with the stock lens and despite some "auto exposure" issues (out of our control) and some really minor parallax error (nothing serious and very easy to repair) the panorama looks very good overall...

click here to watch it Moravia
Ah, very nice! Looks good.

Reactions: AOtarolaR
I have similar issues with my Nexus 7. After some experimenting, it appears that the problem is related to how the device functions when clamped in the Solo Controller's tablet/phone holder. If I remove the tablet, I can use an inexpensive stylus to tap-select with no problems. If I insert the tablet in the holder, I often must resort to using my fingers from different angles to the screen to select something. Not fun!

My latest thought is to make an extender plate from one or more layers of foamboard, then use dots of Velcro to attach/detach the tablet. In the field, insert the plate into the holder, then attach the tablet. Maybe someone will suggest a better approach.

I finally got some time to experiment with this using my Nexus 7. You are indeed correct, something about the way the touch detection works is different on the N7 than that of either the Shield or my iPad mini. The N7 needs a good path back to your body for the touch detection to work. Someone more knowledgeable than I about how these pickups work (and why the N7 is so different) can probably describe exactly what is going on.

Suffice it to say that I took a short, flexible wire and made a connection from tablet holder to a contact point on the controller. With that done the N7 now works like a champ, provided that my hand is on the controller. If I let go of the controller then the touch sensitivity drops again.

I made the connection in a hacky-but-sufficient-for-now manner. I cut a lead from a servo extension cable and stripped about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch off each end. I backed off the screws on the fixed (non-sliding) end of the tablet holder and put the bare end of the wires between the plastic and the metal brace then clamped it in by tightening up the screws. The other end I wrapped around one of the screws that holds the arm to the controller. There is probably a better ground point to the controller but this is working just fine for me.

Here is a photo of where the wire goes to the screw between the holder arm and the controller:

2017-06-04 16.54.57.jpg

This shows where it goes to the fixed brace for the bottom of the tablet:

2017-06-04 16.55.44.jpg

Hi,
I also have a Nexus 7 and you're absolutely correct, there is a problem with the touch screen especially when running the Solex app. It's very interesting what you did. Would you be so kind as to provide more details including more photos including one that show a full view of your fixe. Perhaps a video! :)

Posted on FB:
Kelly Schrock to Members of 3DRPilots

1 hrs

To commemorate the arrival of Sunday, here's Solex 1.4.6, appearing on your devices soon.

This update finishes up the details of the Firmware Updates feature, removing the "Reboot Vehicle" button and adding a confirmation for when you hit "Reset Params".

There's also a bug fix for a crash when you open the flight screen and close it really quickly. It doesn't crash now, which is the idea behind the fix.

You can now save a Mission with a different name, in case you want to create variations on the same mission.

Feature-wise, the main new feature in this release is the ability to define a Remote Command as a slider, so you can execute commands on the Solo by moving a slider. I call it the Jubal Ragsdale. (Not really, but I bet tagging Jubal Ragsdale made him look at this.
1f603.png
:-D)

Anyway, you can define up to 10 commands, each assigned to a position on a slider. When you click on a slider-type command button on the flight screen, a slider appears next to the list of buttons. Anyway, it was his idea, and it was a cool idea, with potential applicability in a variety of settings.

Hi there
What are those upgrades for?
Any advices ?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170530-101242.png
    Screenshot_20170530-101242.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 44
Hi there
What are those upgrades for?
Any advices ?
Thanks
People whom installed the Green Cube For Solo Will get these & other updates.
Many new features via Solex...
Advice? plan to update to the Green Cube for Solo.
Search & read.
There are several threads & Videos to explain all benefits & "how to's"

People whom installed the Green Cube For Solo Will get these & other updates.
Many new features via Solex...
Advice? plan to update to the Green Cube for Solo.
Search & read.
There are several threads & Videos to explain all benefits & "how to's"

Steve,

It has been mentioned that at some point "soon" the Green Cube update would be plug and play. Is there a time frame for the "soon" and what steps in the above referenced "how to's" will be eliminated?

I finally got some time to experiment with this using my Nexus 7. You are indeed correct, something about the way the touch detection works is different on the N7 than that of either the Shield or my iPad mini. The N7 needs a good path back to your body for the touch detection to work. Someone more knowledgeable than I about how these pickups work (and why the N7 is so different) can probably describe exactly what is going on.

Suffice it to say that I took a short, flexible wire and made a connection from tablet holder to a contact point on the controller. With that done the N7 now works like a champ, provided that my hand is on the controller. If I let go of the controller then the touch sensitivity drops again.

I made the connection in a hacky-but-sufficient-for-now manner. I cut a lead from a servo extension cable and stripped about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch off each end. I backed off the screws on the fixed (non-sliding) end of the tablet holder and put the bare end of the wires between the plastic and the metal brace then clamped it in by tightening up the screws. The other end I wrapped around one of the screws that holds the arm to the controller. There is probably a better ground point to the controller but this is working just fine for me.

Here is a photo of where the wire goes to the screw between the holder arm and the controller:

View attachment 6348

View attachment 6349

That's good to know. As it turns out, I was looking for a case for my Nexus 7 and bought this product. Not only does it fit well, is secure in the Controller, and otherwise is nice to hold in other situations, but also most if not all of my touchscreen issues went away. I may try your fix to see if it improves even more. I also found this pen product to work well, much better than a cheapo with a rubber tip.

Steve,

It has been mentioned that at some point "soon" the Green Cube update would be plug and play. Is there a time frame for the "soon" and what steps in the above referenced "how to's" will be eliminated?
I'm not sure who told you it would be plug and play. It's never going to be that simple. We're trying to make it as simple as possible. But plug and play is not practical.

View attachment 6348

View attachment 6349
Hi,
I also have a Nexus 7 and you're absolutely correct, there is a problem with the touch screen especially when running the Solex app. It's very interesting what you did. Would you be so kind as to provide more details including more photos including one that show a full view of your fix and a few on how it is attached to the controller and the table holder. Perhaps a video! :)
Many thanks.

I'm not sure who told you it would be plug and play. It's never going to be that simple. We're trying to make it as simple as possible. But plug and play is not practical.

Here is the post I was referring to:

SteveReno

"do you have a list of pros and cons of the greencube ?
No Cons only Pro's
Solo as it is now, with out updating to the GC Doesn't have a future:
The "Green Cube" GC Has been specifically made for Solo to address a Hardware problem that exist on all Solo's presently.
1. No more 3DR to Update Solo
2. Electrical Hardware problem. 3DR fixed with a software fix limiter "Limiting for future improvements" The GC has Fixed this probelm permanently with hardware fix..
3. You have maybe 50+ people writing Code now to make Solo better
4. There is a Con, Not free, but since you most like got under $500 invested in your Solo, this is still a GREAT deal!
Many more New Features, but you need to research for your self.

I have joined the test group for the GC, but there are many, many others that have been busy at testing the GC to its' limits for months.
As soon as everything get tested & retested, then the GC Solo will be a plug & play type upgrade."

Thanks,
Greg

Here is the post I was referring to:

SteveReno

"do you have a list of pros and cons of the greencube ?
No Cons only Pro's
Solo as it is now, with out updating to the GC Doesn't have a future:
The "Green Cube" GC Has been specifically made for Solo to address a Hardware problem that exist on all Solo's presently.
1. No more 3DR to Update Solo
2. Electrical Hardware problem. 3DR fixed with a software fix limiter "Limiting for future improvements" The GC has Fixed this probelm permanently with hardware fix..
3. You have maybe 50+ people writing Code now to make Solo better
4. There is a Con, Not free, but since you most like got under $500 invested in your Solo, this is still a GREAT deal!
Many more New Features, but you need to research for your self.

I have joined the test group for the GC, but there are many, many others that have been busy at testing the GC to its' limits for months.
As soon as everything get tested & retested, then the GC Solo will be a plug & play type upgrade."

Thanks,
Greg
I think what Matt was referring to, is that the ArduPilot is consistently being updating by many coders & testers around the world "Thx God for Open Source" All this updating to "Bigger & Better" isn't for the newbie types, But for well seasoned enthusiast, cause errors do arise & reek havoc & no one to ask for warranty from. Only a promise that the next release will try to fix those errors / bugs.

When ArduPilot will have a Base release that is bug free & stable "Hoping Soon" then the Green Cube can be a plug n play update. Plug it in, update via Solex, then go fly........
My thinking is that Solo & it's owners are a New Breed of user a "Hybrid" type of user.

Basically this is what i did, but i know there was many, many hours of testing & much money spent to make it this as easy, as it was for me.

I make a bi-monthly Donation to:
Donating to ArduPilot project — Copter documentation

I'm also beta-tester for the the GCSolo.

I think what Matt was referring to, is that the ArduPilot is consistently being updating by many coders & testers around the world "Thx God for Open Source" All this updating to "Bigger & Better" isn't for the newbie types, But for well seasoned enthusiast, cause errors do arise & reek havoc & no one to ask for warranty from. Only a promise that the next release will try to fix those errors / bugs.

When ArduPilot will have a Base release that is bug free & stable "Hoping Soon" then the Green Cube can be a plug n play update. Plug it in, update via Solex, then go fly........
My thinking is that Solo & it's owners are a New Breed of user a "Hybrid" type of user.

Basically this is what i did, but i know there was many, many hours of testing & much money spent to make it this as easy, as it was for me.

I make a bi-monthly Donation to:
Donating to ArduPilot project — Copter documentation

I'm also beta-tester for the the GCSolo.

Thanks for the reply Steve and thanks to the many that have worked long and hard to continue making Solo what it is and it is becoming.

I built a PH controlled DIY quad before the Solo was available and have read almost every post on several forums since the beginning of the Solo. I don't mind doing the steps as described; but didn't want to fight some of the frustrations others have had if a more streamlined option was just around the corner.

MPCC still separates Solo from almost all of the others. Now if we could just have that with a camera system more advanced than the GP4!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela