Solex App for Android Rocks!

Reaction score
Not a sales pitch, just that it is such a great app, plus it has fulfilled in what 3dr promised us, but never did deliver. One thing is that on Solex you can change around the color of the led lights, or turn them off all together, I mention this first because it was very useful last night while filming an hot air balloon glow for the city of Columbus, as not to get the glow of the led's in the video I switched off the front leds, that was nice!

My hat is off to Kelly Schrock, the app publisher, he is constantly adding new features, seems like every three days or so.

It's for Android devices only, you can find it in your Google Play Store

Below is the list of new features just on the latest release:

Version 1.1.4 - Released today (10/08/16)

. Tap to save location

In case you were thinking it would be handy to actually do something with a location you're at by tapping on the GPS location on the flight screen, now you can. When you tap on it, an input box comes up to ask you for a name, and optionally to save a picture of what you're looking at. Once you do that, it becomes a so-called "Named Location" stored in a flight log. Which reminds me of the next thing:

. Basic flight log

The flight logs are currently pretty basic. They save your total flight time and distance (accurate to within a few meters), and your named locations. There's logic in there to also save locations as you fly automatically, but I'd be interested in peoples' input about how they would use that kind of data. Purely for posterity? To recreate a given flight? That kind of information makes a handy guide for future flight-log features.

. Fly to location on map

If you open up the "Controls" palette, there's a little map marker on it now (if you have GPS location turned on in the settings of course). Tap that, and a map comes up with a list of your previous flight logs. Tap a flight log, and you'll see the locations you saved in that flight. If you're actually flying at the time, you'll see a little "Fly to location" button appear in the lower right. Tap that, and you can either fly to the location using the guidance arrow, or tap the familiar "Fly me there" button (as long as you're no more than 1000 meters from it). Be advised, it will go STRAIGHT there, and then match altitude once it arrives at the location. So if there's something in the way, it will hit it. As always, if you hit "Fly me there" and subsequently figure out it was a bad idea, hit Fly, or Pause. The copter will stop flying, hopefully before it hits whatever was in your way.

****Due to too much wording I have to put the list on two posts, please read next post for the rest****

Reactions: RedLance
Thanks for the great run down of Solex features Chris. I can't imagine anyone who has a Solo not buying this app. Hats off to Kelly!

Reactions: ChrisLJ10
mainly IOS users

Oh yea, I forgot about the poor IOS folks. I'm researching threads on a good tablet for dedicated use with my Solo. I would like to keep the price under 200$. Any thoughts? Thanks P

Oh yea, I forgot about the poor IOS folks. I'm researching threads on a good tablet for dedicated use with my Solo. I would like to keep the price under 200$. Any thoughts? Thanks P
Yes, the Nexus 7 (2013) is recommended by Kelly and has worked well for me from day 1. You can still find them for $80-150 new/used. They also have one of the brightest screens, and being a Nexus run pure android without a 3rd party manufacturer's skin over it to cause compatibility issues.

Reactions: Hyper
agree, I got an IPhone through work. I detest apple but have to admit for solo the IOS app is so damn solid

agree, I got an IPhone through work. I detest apple but have to admit for solo the IOS app is so damn solid
IS it really more solid than Solex? I haven't a single issue or complaint using it. Haven't used the 3DR app since.

I still find the gps functions on IOS to be better
follow me, return to me etc
He just recently added a true follow which I will admit I have not tested.
I have an easier time getting POIs set with IOS, and the orbits to be tighter
it could also be the user, I find solex to have a bit of a learning curve and it could be the clown behind the controls'

I think I might pull the trigger on a Nexus 7. I put a best offer on a clean one on Ebay for 100$. I see a lot of people here highly recommend the Nexus 7. If I had a free Apple I would try it, short of that I'm an Android guy all the way. I can tell you that the FAA prefers the Apple products, there are a lot of great FAA endorsed apps such as ForeFlight that are great in the cockpit.

The Nvidia Shield is a good one as well. It's $199 new, it's a fast tab, since it's made for gaming, it's lightweight, but the screen has too much glare for me, but I installed a matte screen protector and it's perfect now.

I got my Nexus 7(2013) like new at a pawn shop pretty cheap. I think it was around 60-70 dollars.
Another bonus is that it has wireless charging capability. I bought a wireless charging module from Bangood for 3 bucks and it works great.

Last edited:
I still find the gps functions on IOS to be better
follow me, return to me etc
He just recently added a true follow which I will admit I have not tested.
I have an easier time getting POIs set with IOS, and the orbits to be tighter
it could also be the user, I find solex to have a bit of a learning curve and it could be the clown behind the controls'

The orbits tighter? That isn't the app, that's all in the GPS. Same with all the other functions like, follow me, return to me, all part of the GPS.

For folks considering buying an android device to get Solex support, remember you also get to add tower to your arsenal
Tower is also very cool, esp if you get into surveys or maps
I'm sure you know that a Tower like app available for iOS now.
I like Solex for several reasons, many new features, Fast updates & Knowing the programer.
& in a small way telling Chris Anderson that we have survived his bad business dealing/decisions.

With the onslaught of third party hardware, Mods coming out of our ears & our very own Android programer "Kelly Schrock" well, need i say more? maybe? Buying Solo's for $379 is worth mentioning.
14 months ago, many here made a expensive decision, & today, we are still reaping benefits from our Solo(s)
Everyone take a bow & pat yourself on the back.

Last edited:
I'm sure you know that a Tower like app available for iOS now.
I like Solex for several reasons, many new features, Fast updates & Knowing the programer.
& in a small way telling Chris Anderson that we have survived his bad business dealing/decisions.

With the onslaught of third party hardware, Mods coming out of our ears & are very own Android programer "Kelly Schrock" well, need i say more? maybe Buying Solo's for $379 worth mentioning.
14 months ago, many here made a expensive decision, & today, we are still reaping benefits for our Solo(s)
Everyone take a bow & pat yourself on the back.
Where are you finding 379 Solos?

That's odd. I click on the link and get this.

$399.99
ON SALE
SAVE $400 (Reg. $799.99)
Included Free: 1 Item
FREE 2-DAY SHIPPING

The price from BestBuy keeps changing. For a week the price was 399$ including the gimble, extra battery, extra props and the 20$ Shutterfly. Yesterday or the day befoer they moved the price to 379$ without Shutterfly, today its 399$ without the extra battery, gimble or props, but with Shutterfly. Just keep checking BestBuy online and watch for the low prices WITH the gimble battery and props.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc