Solex App for Android Rocks!

My understanding is that you need the cellular version to use the on board GPS of your device. Is anyone doing something different just checking before I leap! :)
Nope.

Needing the cellular version to get GPS mostly just applies to Apple products. I'm sure there are a few Android products that are the same, but the vast majority of them have gps standard and will work without cellular.

Apple just doesn't supply a GPS chip on their wifi-only products for some strange reason. Only with the cellular versions. So, about $200 extra just for a $2 gps chip lol.

My understanding is that you need the cellular version to use the on board GPS of your device. Is anyone doing something different just checking before I leap! :)
That is correct. I'm told that new devices all come with GPS. I have no way to confirm that.
Mine has cellular but no service. No need for it.

Thanks gentelmen going to pull the trigger tonight then!
I'm sure you'll like it.
some new video tut's being make now.
& a new update in the making,,,
Any request, post it here.
I"m going to ask @Kelly Schrock ,if all possible for some kind of redundancy to the effect that if1 motor gives out, then other 3 will keep it flying or just land immediately, instead of dropping like a rock?

if all possible for some kind of redundancy to the effect that if1 motor gives out, then other 3 will keep it flying or just land immediately, instead of dropping like a rock?
LOL, If Kelly can do that, I'd eat one my Solos.....pretty sure I won't be eating a Solo.....

Reactions: Hyper
LOL, If Kelly can do that, I'd eat one my Solos.....pretty sure I won't be eating a Solo.....
Really don't what you to choke on a Solo "waste of a good Solo", LOL just playing with you....

But there might be a chance that it's possible for a Solo With Solex
Kelly is the the Guy to ask..

DJI & Amazon & Google has interest in this German IPO

"The failsafe controller uses only hardware that is readily available on a standard quadrocopter, and could thus be implemented as an algorithmic-only upgrade to existing systems."

"The system can even right itself if more than one motor fails. Most important, however, is the fact that the system can work in software – there are no hardware modifications at all. This means your usual quadcopter can become a self-righting, self-flying super machine with just a firmware update"

Quadcopters Never Have To Crash Again Thanks To This Software-Based Fail-Safe System

Last edited:
Really don't what you to choke on a Solo "waste of a good Solo", LOL just playing with you....

DJI & Amazon & Google has interest in this German IPO

"The failsafe controller uses only hardware that is readily available on a standard quadrocopter, and could thus be implemented as an algorithmic-only upgrade to existing systems."

"The system can even right itself if more than one motor fails. Most important, however, is the fact that the system can work in software – there are no hardware modifications at all. This means your usual quadcopter can become a self-righting, self-flying super machine with just a firmware update"

Quadcopters Never Have To Crash Again Thanks To This Software-Based Fail-Safe System

this looks like "turn your drone into a mixer" :D

That's not going to happen in an app, it would need to be part of the flight controller's firmware. There would be way too much lag sending the sensor data to the phone, having the app calculate it and then sending control data back. It works by putting the vehicle into a rapid yaw to so the corner with the failed motor doesn't drop, perhaps taking advantage of gyroscopic effect. But the impressive part is that it can still fly in any direction WHILE spinning by calculating the spin in real time and then figuring out precisely when to power up/down each motor as it's coming around in the spin.

It's amazing that that can all be calculated in real time, but it would definitely need to be done on the flight controller. And while it clearly works on small, symmetrical quads, the Solo is pretty heavy and slightly nose heave with the camera and gimbal, which would make things pretty difficult. I suspect it would need to spin so fast that you'd sustain a fair bit of damage just landing it in that state - you'd probably sheer off all 4 legs and damage the gimbal.

Really cool technology though, and I look forward to it becoming a standard flight controller failure mode.

& how would it land while spinning like that? , Like you saying UN & WR & JR, it's really hard to be just a "Addon" as that site say it can.
A failsafe controller Drone, needs to be made from the ground up "Pun intended"

In respect to Rich's answer, I'm glad im wrong! LOL
I appreciate everyones input.

Reactions: RichWest
& how would it land while spinning like that?.

As demonstrated on a small, lightweight quad, just off the top of my head, I'm thinking it kills the motors as soon as it senses a dramatic slowdown in the rotation - meaning it most likely touched down. Again, not sure how well that would work on something as large as the Solo, even if it did cut the motors, there would still be an awful lot of kinetic energy to dissipate, which is why I'd think it'd probably shear off the legs and do a job on the gimbal.

I thought I remember seeing that DJI's Naza flight controllers had a failsafe, at least for hex's that would rotate them around much more gradually. Probably can do it a lot slower when it's only 1 out of 6 lost as opposed to 1 out of 4.

& it's really hard to be just a "Addon" as that site say it can.
A failsafe controller Drone, needs to be made from the ground up "Pun intended" .

They were probably taking in terms of the code being able to be added to the base firmware code - that it just used the existing sensors commonly found on flight controllers. Total speculation, but it's likely this was developed on some flavor of Arducopter since it's open source and widely used in research.

Reactions: SteveReno
Not sure any quad can fly on 3 motors. My DJI550 can fly on 5 easily. Has any one flown a quad on 3 motors?

I'm sure you'll like it.
some new video tut's being make now.
& a new update in the making,,,
Any request, post it here.
I"m going to ask @Kelly Schrock ,if all possible for some kind of redundancy to the effect that if1 motor gives out, then other 3 will keep it flying or just land immediately, instead of dropping like a rock?

Just happened across this, thought I'd answer it. In a word: No. :) There's no facility for controlling the motors in that way from an app. Would be nice though!

The price from BestBuy keeps changing. For a week the price was 399$ including the gimble, extra battery, extra props and the 20$ Shutterfly. Yesterday or the day befoer they moved the price to 379$ without Shutterfly, today its 399$ without the extra battery, gimble or props, but with Shutterfly. Just keep checking BestBuy online and watch for the low prices WITH the gimble battery and props.
Just be aware that this is old stock with the Rev A GPS.

Just happened across this, thought I'd answer it. In a word: No. :) There's no facility for controlling the motors in that way from an app. Would be nice though!
Yup, several other members also said the same :(, but i'm not going to stop dreaming up a way for Solo to fall back to earth safely, if pod/motor goes out. At the least, not to be a danger to people or animals.

Yup, several other members also said the same :(, but i'm not going to stop dreaming up a way for Solo to fall back to earth safely, if pod/motor goes out. At the least, not to be a danger to people or animals.
Keep searching for a super-light parachute system. At least that's what I'm still working on...

What I did was to invest heavily in pillows. I haul a couple thousand of them to the flying field and scatter them everywhere. The downside is I have to drive a tractor-trailer full of pillows everywhere, but I can crash worry-free. :)

Just be aware that this is old stock with the Rev A GPS.
It has been loosely determined by the great minds of this forum (uh, mine included :rolleyes:) that the limited number of Rev B boards were very likely installed on the Solos that came with pre-installed gimbals. Reasoning is that they had to take apart the Solo to mount the gimbal, so threw in the Rev B board at that time.

Myself (with 4 Solos) and others with multiple Solos have confirmed that their Solos with pre-installed gimbals have had the Rev B board.

There doesn't appear to be a particularly old stock vs. new stock.

Last edited:
The price from BestBuy keeps changing. For a week the price was 399$ including the gimble, extra battery, extra props and the 20$ Shutterfly. Yesterday or the day befoer they moved the price to 379$ without Shutterfly, today its 399$ without the extra battery, gimble or props, but with Shutterfly. Just keep checking BestBuy online and watch for the low prices WITH the gimble battery and props.

Bestbuy has multiple SKUs and bundles.Plus they have deals on them etc. I got the whole bundle deal with extra batt and props for $399. You are looking at different SKUs each time

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo