So long fellas !

The GPS issue is caused by people who don't understand the nature of GPS signals..

Too funny, my Solo would have 7-9, Phantom 2 would have a solid 12 and my cheap garmin handheld would have 12 (All in the same location). You either have a locked in GPS or not:rolleyes:

P3, Galaxy S6 and NEO-M8N get on average 16 sats, and sometimes 23 with stable 3D fix all the time

My poor SOLO gets on average 8-9 sats, but there is no guarantee it will also get 3D lock and required HDOP.

P3, Galaxy S6 and NEO-M8N all also uses GLONASS sats in addition to GPS sats, what SOLO unfortunately does not.

Fresh from the 3DR board: Greg Nuspel : The GPS issue is caused by people who don't understand the nature of GPS signals.

Greg is not an employee of 3DR, he is a DIY forum member. His statement means nothing.

Got it. Flat.
And this is what scares me.

I have several Pixhawk based quads, from tiny 250 FPV with Bulgarian Pixhawk clone and old MT3329 GPS module up to the largest one based on S1000 frame with NEO-M8N, all with different GPS units, including old Mediatek MT3329, MT3339, LEO-6H, NEO-7 and the newest NEO-M8N on large round PCB from CSG store, and none of them never lost GPS lock in semi-open not even completely open space.
Never.
Average lock time is about 20 seconds when I fly the bird from one day to another, or up to 45 seconds, when the bird is off for longer time. As soon as the GPS module backup battery powering RTC clock loses power, typically after two weeks, it takes under minute to get perfect 3D GPS lock.

From my experiences I can judge whether bird GPS reception is OK or not, and always use simple cell phone check with S5/S6 to immediately confirm actual GPS situation at the moment on the site. Cell phone have much inferior GPS antenna to the quad GPS unit, so if the cell phone get lock and sats, bird shall as well.

Not to mention great sites like http://www.uavforecast.com/ and http://www.taroz.net/GNSS-Radar.html will tell you exact sats constellation above you.

Fresh from the 3DR board: Greg Nuspel : The GPS issue is caused by people who don't understand the nature of GPS signals.

How sweet.

You can be my wingman anytime,,
I have never had a GPS issue even with the 3DR Sat reciever that comes stock with pixhawk where I am flying. Open sky's,,

GPS issues caused by people that don't understand, ,,, YES to a point,,, I guess I will have to send Greg nutshell a picture of the area that I fly and see how its my fault.

I also use my cell phone with sat apps to see where there flying, , also run missing planner all the time and keep an eye on things that way also. ..

Well I really don't know what to think, all of my GPS antennas on all my stuff are about 5 inches higher then the center of my motors to get them up and away from the mag fields generated by the motors.

Solo has the GPS receiver mounted at the front of the unit under plastic cover just ahead of the battery bay... and it is lower then the motors and just about in line with the mag field,, a little lower. . So in theory the mag field is over top the GPS reciever.
I wonder if they designed a new battery bay that was higher on the front like a conning tower on a sub to get the gps up and out of the way. Also when a new larger battery comes out it would have room to grow. ..

Dear Lord !

Got up this morning and got a tracking number from 3DR saying a package is out for delivery today.

I think I am removing my signature all together because something my daughter told me comes to mind. She said she thinks on Facebook that when your relationship status changes more than 3 times in a certain amount of time that Facebook should permanently change it to "unstable" !

Signed,

Unstable.

Got up this morning and got a tracking number from 3DR saying a package is out for delivery today.

I think I am removing my signature all together because something my daughter told me comes to mind. She said she thinks on Facebook that when your relationship status changes more than 3 times in a certain amount of time that Facebook should permanently change it to "unstable" !

Signed,

Unstable.[/QUOTE]
LOL!

Reactions: GoodnNuff
good get that unit in the air and let if fly or crash one or the other good or bad.. need to know if you get good Sat lock

Take a look at this link. This is where I fly , You tell me how can you have GPS issues out here.. Solo GPS just isn't there on this one
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Take a look at this link. This is where I fly , You tell me how can you have GPS issues out here.. Solo GPS just isn't there on this one
It's the green grass, or whatever is growing there, blocking the satellites view.
:)

Congrats Rich! Glad they followed through. I see Marco has found a new home too..

Yes believe it or not I got an email from 3DR at 9:45 their time with tracking.

I have three marco Polo tags now. P3, Solo, wife :)

They actually modified a dog tag for me so I have big battery on one of them. I was going to put it on Solo but think its going on P3 instead as its more the daily driver.

update your sig brah :) ur back in the club... at least for now.

is there any reason i should keep both quads? seriously? what would be the point?
except for the fact that if i sell my p3 for 1200$ or whatever, ill just spend it on something else, like a 3rd 3d printer or something lol

My sig has me locked out. LOL

Yea the reason the keep the P3 is its the only thing you have that will shoot decent video until the Solo get a gimbal in November.

you are hearing NOVEMBER now? you cant be serious... This solo is SOOOO fun to fly, but i want video :) dammit jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44