Setting's Issue or Solo? Flutter in video

Reaction score
All,

Looking for some help with my set up. Have been doing a bunch of shooting with my Hero 4 Silver, settings at 2.7K, 30 FPS, please have a look at the video, should there really be that much "flutter" in the video? Is there and post editing that can be done to remove/dissipate this? I have since gone back to 1080p, 60FPS and it is better but not fantastic. What is the best approach to take in figuring out what the issue is?

I have read a number of posts so I am quite familiar with the settings but am at a loss at what I should do next.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It won't let me upload an .mp4 for some reason....stay tuned.

Clayton

Do you get the flutter on a cloudy day? without seeing a video I can only guess its either prop shadows on the lens or jello
try taking a video away from the sun with the camera pointing downward and check for it. if its gone its probably prop shadow
if its jello id suggest balancing props and double checking the gimbal installation there is a few good videos on youtube showing how to install/removing the top plate.

Here is a small clip of what I'm talking about, thanks for the reply and tips. I have pulled apart the gimble assembly to check cabling which seems ok. I will check out balancing the props and see how that goes. I don't think it's due to facing the sun as most of my videos have the same issue.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Now that I look at some other clips I'm thinking the cause could be due to facing the sun??
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Clayton, thats caused by prop / motor vibes.
Have you balanced your props at all?

Hey Roland, no I never have. I just purchased the prop balancing kit yesterday so I will see how that goes.

That's the classic Solo shake. For whatever reason, some have it and some don't. I have spent many hours balancing props and motors and am on my 2nd replacement Solo and I have given up on getting smooth video out of camera. From my experience post production stabilization is a must for Solo footage.

That's the classic Solo shake. For whatever reason, some have it and some don't.

HYPOTHESIS: Since it's a rhythmic sort of wiggle, what we're seeing is the entire bird (not just the props or gimbal) resonating like a ringing bell. Imagine what a video would look like if you glued a GoPro to the lip of a large bell and rang it; that's what these Solo videos look like. Differences in weight distribution will cause differences in the resonant frequency and/or amplitude, which is why different Solos exhibit different amounts of "Solo shake".

TEST: Try adding a tiny amount of weight to various location(s) on the bird. Strategic placement should completely eliminate the resonance, just like a strategically placed weight on a bell will prevent it from ringing. It doesn't have to be a "tuned mass damper"; simply putting enough mass in the right place should suffice. In a few days when it stops raining I'll try some tests with tiny weights on the legs and gimbal and see if it has any effect on the frequency and/or amplitude of the "shake".

Even if this hypothesis is disproved by testing (as most hypotheses are), the testing will be fun! Three cheers for the scientific method!

that is not normal or 'classic'. something is seriously wrong with your gimbal or your install. check the gimbal and make sure that nothing is touching it. also check the gimbal dampening balls. one of them may have popped out or is torn.

Reactions: Jubalr
Even if this hypothesis is disproved by testing (as most hypotheses are), the testing will be fun! Three cheers for the scientific method!
I can confirm that your hypothesis is correct. Start a new thread and I'll add my experience of doing the same.

Reactions: Joe Horn
that is not normal or 'classic'. something is seriously wrong with your gimbal or your install. check the gimbal and make sure that nothing is touching it. also check the gimbal dampening balls. one of them may have popped out or is torn.
When I say "classic" I simply mean this is a well documented problem that many Solo users have. There are numerous threads in the Solo Discussion forum about possible remedies. Ribbon cables, stripping shielding, motor swaps, prop balancing, etc., etc. I have balanced my props, checked and rechecked my gimbal install, rerouted and reshaped my hdmi cable and even sent the whole bird back to 3DR for them to inspect the Solo and gimbal installation. It still shakes. I gave up on fixing it. Post production stabilization is necessary.

Is it in the 3dr gimbal? Have you installed it correctly? Are the dampeners there.

Try a higher frame rate. Use a 4ND filter to slow the shutter.

Since you are using a silver and not a black, did you use the weights for the silver?

Balance the props- number 1 cause of Jello DJI learned that and now only ships balanced props. You would think Colin Guinn would have insisted on that.

I was fine with my first set of props. Don't know about the second yet

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for the tips guys, I've gotta say I feel a bit like an idiot. I did not have the counter balance weights installed on the gamble...have yet to fly it since installing though.

I have ordered the prop balancing kit as well as the Polar Pro 3 pack which are due to arrive any day now.

Will check back in once I've got the few tweaks completed and take her for a fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc