NAB 2016 Post

Get ready for more cutting-edge Solo software updates from 3DR! The new suite includes augmented reality and interactive scene awareness, and two brand new Smart Shots. We’ll be rolling these updates out for all Solo users in the coming months. Read on for more info!

Meet the new Smart Shots - Zipline and Pano

d56790df-97fb-439e-af09-6e3a24e04d40.jpg

Zipline
Set an infinite cable in any direction, just by pushing a button. Fly up and down, controlling speed and direction as well as the camera. Zipline also has a “spot lock” feature, which works like an Orbit point of focus, but instead of a circle you’re flying on a line. Look at something, press spot lock and Solo keeps the camera fixed on it while Solo passes, for a dramatic flyby.

Pano
The perfect aerial panorama. Set up your shot, and Solo automatically pans and snaps the right photos at the right time.

Improved Safety - Rewind and Geofence

c35145aa-6d8e-45c2-90a7-5407097ad977.jpg

Custom Geofencing
Protect Solo by creating a customized virtual flight arena around it just by drawing on your screen. Do this before taking off, or move it around in real time while Solo is in the air.

Rewind

With the press of a button, Solo will retrace its exact flight path. Hit nothing going in? Hit nothing going out.

Introducing... Augmented Reality

709f5f85-1aab-49fa-8be8-c2d82035c0d2.jpg

The Solo app will overlay visuals in real time on your mobile screen. See your home point, or your Orbit point of focus, and eventually your Orbit flight path.

Steve
Bummer. Do you know of a simulator I might be able to load on my computer to 'practice' with? I've never operated any sort of R/C device, let alone a quadcopter :-( I'm really getting hyped up about buying a 3DR SOLO and am concerned about getting it out of the box and immediately crashing it or dunking it into the reservoir I want to record some video of.

If you buy a Solo, it comes with a simulator, which doesn't help.

The popular flight Simms all have quadcopter a in them now, but I haven't found they were a close enough match. The one that comes with the Solo is similar in response to the actual unit.

Remember, you have a 30 day money back guarantee.

Do you know of a simulator I might be able to load on my computer to 'practice' with? I've never operated any sort of R/C device, let alone a quadcopter :-( I'm really getting hyped up about buying a 3DR SOLO and am concerned about getting it out of the box and immediately crashing it or dunking it into the reservoir I want to record some video of.

You're far better off with something like this than a simulator: Blade® Inductrix™ RTF RC Ducted Fan Quadcopter with SAFE® Technology | Horizon Hobby

Simulators are good, but they're just not a replacement for hands on experience. You'll be able to fly this thing indoors, into walls/pets/people with no damage or injury, and it'll teach you flying in all orientations. The biggest thing is being able to instinctively reverse all your control inputs when the vehicle is facing you vs. facing away from you.

Don't buy into the marketing hype - the Solo is easy to fly, but not quite as simple as the "even a monkey could fly it" advertising. Putting $1000+ up in the air with no experience is a recipe for disaster and disappointment.

You're far better off with something like this than a simulator: Blade® Inductrix™ RTF RC Ducted Fan Quadcopter with SAFE® Technology | Horizon Hobby

Simulators are good, but they're just not a replacement for hands on experience. You'll be able to fly this thing indoors, into walls/pets/people with no damage or injury, and it'll teach you flying in all orientations. The biggest thing is being able to instinctively reverse all your control inputs when the vehicle is facing you vs. facing away from you.

Don't buy into the marketing hype - the Solo is easy to fly, but not quite as simple as the "even a monkey could fly it" advertising. Putting $1000+ up in the air with no experience is a recipe for disaster and disappointment.

Remember, in addition to the $1,000, you get to add a $500 camera, 1-2 extra batteries, some additional memory cards, maybe something to carry your toys. What I'm saying there is no change from $2,000.

When you launch, you have to accept you are potentially saying bye bye to all that money. Now, it's less likely you will have a flyaway with a Solo than say a DJI, which fly away for seemingly no reason.

I think you will find the Solo will serve you well

Reactions: Toiletbowl
When you launch, you have to accept you are potentially saying bye bye to all that money. Now, it's less likely you will have a flyaway with a Solo than say a DJI, which fly away for seemingly no reason.
l

I would like to read up on the verified P4 flyaways for no reason you continue to mention? Could you provide a link to some of those.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
i think there is an optical flow because the shape object is difrent at the back of gimbal

I would like to read up on the verified P4 flyaways for no reason you continue to mention? Could you provide a link to some of those.

If you followed the thread provided by Toilet Bowl, that's typical, and what I'm talking about.

I don't care what you buy. I'm speaking from 3 years experience with DJI and their typical product and customer service. I owned 2 Phantom 1's lost both to flyaway, and own a P2 right now I'm afraid to use, or sell. Want a deal?comes with FPV and multiple batteries and a backpack case. Only $600 USD

Go buy a phantom. You'll learn.

Piano, Zipbag, Spock Lock, G-Spot, that's all great, but what about trying to get the damn leg out of the frame!?

Only thing I dislike about the announcement is that its not ready yet....could be up to six months based on their word choice. .

devs are already testing these updates. beta testers will get it in the next few weeks. as long as there are no bugs, you'll see the new up date within two months. and these major updates are free, you don't have have to buy a new drone to get them :)

devs are already testing these updates. beta testers will get it in the next few weeks. as long as there are no bugs, you'll see the new up date within two months. and these major updates are free, you don't have have to buy a new drone to get them :)
yes I know :) its just such a tease!!!! It would be so much nicer to be surprised with "hey everyone look at this new update available today!!"

how does spot lock work? gopro has no tracking capabilities...it would be very impressive if Solo can be flashed to be able to track a subject.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado