NAB 2016 Post

Agreed
love it how many threads on here go on and on about "closing of doors" and going down and out, but the updates just keep coming.

cant wait to hear the hardware stories now.

This is one of the numerous reasons I went with Solo instead of the big white P when I wanted a non-DIY photo ship. This kind of additional functionality on "that white one" would mean buying the next new version for another $1000. It's like cell phones. You want the latest and greatest new features, buy a new one every year or two. Or, buy a Solo and get all the latest and greatest pushed over the internet for nothing.

Reactions: pyrate
EyeWingSuit,

I greatly appreciate the update! This bird has a lot of compute power and one of the reasons I purchased this platform. The new smart shots keep getting better and better.

Cheers!

Reactions: pyrate
The next question is going to be "when will all of these features be incorporated in the off-the-shelf orders?" I want to buy one will ALL of the latest features incorporated so I don't have to be messing around trying to get it updated to the latest software.

You'll always have to update to the latest software for the most current features. Your solo was probably made months before it arrives in your hands, and updates/new features get added during that time. If you go buy any hardware - printers, cameras, etc., same thing. I don't think I've ever purchased something that was actually up to date software/firmware wise.

I want to buy one will ALL of the latest features incorporated so I don't have to be messing around trying to get it updated to the latest software.

By saying you don't want to mess with software, you're in effect saying that you want a product that's stuck with the features it had at the time of purchase. Software updates are literally a few buttons away, the app walks you through the process. Any minor hassle is more than offset by the capabilities new software updates add. My Solo is significantly more capable now than it was when I purchased it, and those new capabilities have been added entirely free of charge.

Reactions: Ian [P13] and Tamj
By saying you don't want to mess with software, you're in effect saying that you want a product that's stuck with the features it had at the time of purchase. Software updates are literally a few buttons away, the app walks you through the process. Any minor hassle is more than offset by the capabilities new software updates add. My Solo is significantly more capable now than it was when I purchased it, and those new capabilities have been added entirely free of charge.

Agreed! Look at the Bebop 2. Cool little bird but if you want flight plans it's $20 on TOP of what you just paid for the Bebop...

It's amazing how 3DR is keeping true to their promise in delivering actual updates that improve the Solo all for free. I couldn't ask for more from a corporation.

Now, back on point. Anyone have any idea when we will get these updates?

Last edited:
3DR New Software Announcements..

The New Leash Mode sounds very exciting. No more following by line of sight. Takes actual path of object followed..

Follow Updates

The inventors of the follow drone continue to lead the way in this technology. Follow now offers a “leash” mode, where Solo will always follow from directly behind the subject. This can also be useful for obstacle avoidance; if the subject travels along a path with obstacles on either side (at a reasonable distance), Solo will take the same route. In addition to leash mode, Solo will also account for altitude changes (available on iPhone 6 and above) when following a subject climbing or descending slopes. And those who want to shoot over water will be happy to see the new “boat mode,” which allows Solo to take off from a moving platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: PdxSteve and Tamj
I actually think that is going to give the shot an entirely new feel, love it
Pano and Zip have been available through a mod, nice to see them being integrated

I actually think that is going to give the shot an entirely new feel, love it
Pano and Zip have been available through a mod, nice to see them being integrated

Really? Could you show me the mods?

Just outbox curiosity, why are all the groups closed and invite only? That's counterintuitive to sharing knowledge to the general public.

Not necessarily. If it's a general group and any level of skill/ability/knowledge begin applying technology beyond their skillset, then we have crashed UAS or worse, with the technology then receiving a black eye because it wasn't ready for primetime.
It's no different than any other industry or software dev process.

Reactions: pyrate and RichWest
You can kick people out of private groups if they are troublemakers. If it were open to the public, probably 99% of the posts would be crap from the paid DJI misrepresentation crew and the groups would be useless. Personally I can't stand the format. Its like a huge long single forum post containing all subjects. You can't really organize information and searching for something is a pain.

Not really, I understand that SOLO will continue to provide new features but they're not something coming out weekly. When you do decide to upgrade do you have to upgrade sequentially (in case you were several revisions behind) or does the latest revision/upgrade automatically upgrade you to the latest configuration no matter how far back you are?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44