NAB 2016 Post

Not really, I understand that SOLO will continue to provide new features but they're not something coming out weekly. When you do decide to upgrade do you have to upgrade sequentially (in case you were several revisions behind) or does the latest revision/upgrade automatically upgrade you to the latest configuration no matter how far back you are?

Not sequentially, the updates are cumulative. You're just putting the latest firmware on the drone/gimbal/controller and updating to the latest app on your phone. You can skip as many as you want, whenever you're ready, install whatever the latest update is and you'll be up to speed. It really is trivially simple.

Not sequentially, the updates are cumulative. You're just putting the latest firmware on the drone/gimbal/controller and updating to the latest app on your phone. You can skip as many as you want, whenever you're ready, install whatever the latest update is and you'll be up to speed. It really is trivially simple.
Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. I have seen instances with other products where you had to install each release sequentially because they built up each other.
Now here's a follow up question (maybe should be in a new thread): What about the SOLO Flight Simulator, does it get updated from 3DR when they provide new features to the 3DR SOLO?

What about the SOLO Flight Simulator, does it get updated from 3DR when they provide new features to the 3DR SOLO?
I don't think anyone knows yet. AFAIK, there has only been the initial release of the simulator with the last batch of updates. So it hasn't been out long enough to know. I suppose we will find out with the next release which should be soon.

I don't think anyone knows yet. AFAIK, there has only been the initial release of the simulator with the last batch of updates. So it hasn't been out long enough to know. I suppose we will find out with the next release which should be soon.
Steve, Do you know if the SOLO Simulator software can be loaded on a computer and run from there rather than on my cell phone?

Steve
Bummer. Do you know of a simulator I might be able to load on my computer to 'practice' with? I've never operated any sort of R/C device, let alone a quadcopter :-( I'm really getting hyped up about buying a 3DR SOLO and am concerned about getting it out of the box and immediately crashing it or dunking it into the reservoir I want to record some video of.

It only works on Android/iOS

And unfortunately not all Android devices at that. I have/had a little Android TV box I was hoping to load the app on and use as the screen. My son loves to fly the sim, but man, it eats through the battery on my phone quick.

That was exactly my concern, plus it would be nice to have use of a much larger screen to view it on. In fact, I don't even think my Galaxy S3 is compatible with the SOLO controller. The App store says it is compatible with the simulator software though.

Steve
Bummer. Do you know of a simulator I might be able to load on my computer to 'practice' with? I've never operated any sort of R/C device, let alone a quadcopter :-( I'm really getting hyped up about buying a 3DR SOLO and am concerned about getting it out of the box and immediately crashing it or dunking it into the reservoir I want to record some video of.

You could just run an android emulator on your computer and just run the app that way. You'd still need to hook up your controller to it though. Doesn't work with third party controllers.

On another note, here's a glimpse of the tethered drone in action.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProStock
speaking of blackmagic.....
You could just run an android emulator on your computer and just run the app that way. You'd still need to hook up your controller to it though. Doesn't work with third party controllers.

On another note, here's a glimpse of the untethered drone in action.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
*tethered

Last edited:
i posted about Pano and Zipline on here, but alas...overshadowed about how 3dr is no longer taking phone calls, the doors are closing and 3dr is finished. i wont name names, but some of you are looking mad stupid right about now.

and let me tell you, zipline is very powerful smart shot. its similar to mpcc and its not. zipline lets you automatically create a straight line in 3d space to infinity (not really infinity, but lets not get too technical). solo can fly up and down that line, manually or automatically. since the line is 3d, it can be in any angle. and then there is the spot lock option which will lock onto a subject, so as solo is moving up and down the line, solo will yaw to keep the subject in focus, automatically. letting you perform pivots like seasoned hollywood cinematographer.

for reference an mrmc milo motion control rig can perform a pivot automatically and it costs over $500,000.

Whoa .... hadn't thought about that and with WiFi in my computer I should be able to connect to it. Thanks for the tip Tamj
That just might save me a LOT of grief ;-)

Thanks for the info eye and thanks to 3dr for making good on every promise plus adding to the list consistently.

Its going to be pretty tough for the trolls to come up with complaints for a while now. I honestly thought about other options during the crazy release bs and delays. Wow am I glad I waited, knew I'd regret any one of those options when days like this came and my only option was to shell out 1000 plus again for another bird to catch up with solo.

Hey maybe the p5 will have some of these features though right, glass half full. Money well spent smh.

You can kick people out of private groups if they are troublemakers. If it were open to the public, probably 99% of the posts would be crap from the paid DJI misrepresentation crew and the groups would be useless. Personally I can't stand the format. Its like a huge long single forum post containing all subjects. You can't really organize information and searching for something is a pain.

Totally agree on the format, but it does keep the 3dr is closing crap at bay
I find it more useful information because they monitor the quality of the group and people posting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44