NAB 2016 Post

We can agree Solo's value proposition just went up a bit...but we'll have to see the AR and new smart shots in action first.

Many of us pre-ordered at $1400 US...waited 4 months for the gimbal many of which had jello/limp issues...and we weren't even able to control the gopro for the longest time.

There were many growing pains with Solo...I have to say these smart shots are great but I feel like they will fully redeem themself for early adopters like myself if they release a weight adapter for the existing gimbal once the next Hero cam is released.
3DR hasn't over stated there updates too much in the past, so we should expect the same now.
Can't think of any updates that they sent out that wasn't ready for most users?
As for the Hero 5?
I may have read 3DR's support for GP's new cam, but not 100% sure?
I think it Bus, "Connections" on the back may differ & dimensions "Size" ? So there may be more then just "Weight" difference.

I my self would like to be able to shoot in 5k or 6k. Many benefits.
But since GP hasn't reveled any thing really new @ there NAB display
"No H5 or Drone" I think we won't know to much until the covers are off.

how does spot lock work? gopro has no tracking capabilities...it would be very impressive if Solo can be flashed to be able to track a subject.

you frame your subject with the video feed and press a button to lock it. and as solo flies up and down the line the camera will be moved to keep the subject in frame. zipline is also 3d so the line can be in an angle as well.

How does video pano differ from just panning manually?
Does photo pano just means it gives you on-screen markers/instructions or does it actually stitches/corrects the exposure for you....?

pano differs from just panning manually because it does it automatically, accurately and precisely. sure you can pan manually, but your movement will not always be precise or as fast. speed is important when taking panos because moving objects or changing exposure will ruin the pano. when you see the pano executing for the first time you'll see how useful it. but it also has two other options which is spherical pano where it will take multiple images to create a sphere panorama. and video which will give you a constant yaw rate so that you can make smooth video pans or hyperlapses.

post processing can then be done in your favorite stitching app although i've had my best results with autopano giga.

What does all this mean?

SCENE AWARENESS VIA SOFTWARE
In 2016, 3DR has invested in a software approach to scene awareness. The company evaluated the current state of sense-and-avoid hardware, and, while available and viable to mount on drones like Solo today, it’s still imperfect. As opposed to first-generation on-board hardware that can make pilots overconfident to the point they might overlook their environment, this comprehensive approach does the opposite, raising the user’s awareness of their environment and of what they’re asking the drone to do in that environment. It makes everyone a safer, more informed and more effective pilot.

What does all this mean?

SCENE AWARENESS VIA SOFTWARE
In 2016, 3DR has invested in a software approach to scene awareness. The company evaluated the current state of sense-and-avoid hardware, and, while available and viable to mount on drones like Solo today, it’s still imperfect. As opposed to first-generation on-board hardware that can make pilots overconfident to the point they might overlook their environment, this comprehensive approach does the opposite, raising the user’s awareness of their environment and of what they’re asking the drone to do in that environment. It makes everyone a safer, more informed and more effective pilot.
It's an explanation of why 3DR isn't putting hardware such as object avoidance sensors, etc., into Solo. Basically they're asking folks to be good pilots at the core rather than relying on what they consider imperfect tech.

Honestly...rewind seems like robust way of not hitting things on the way home. It doesn't even require a complete RTH as you can return incrementally either until Solo regains signal or you reach home.
I'm all for not hitting things if and when RTH is triggered. Absolutely no guarantees with the level of computer vision you can buy on a hobby $$$. How's that DJI object avoidance working out of curiosity?

Honestly...rewind seems like robust way of not hitting things on the way home. It doesn't even require a complete RTH as you can return incrementally either until Solo regains signal or you reach home.
I'm all for not hitting things if and when RTH is triggered. Absolutely no guarantees with the level of computer vision you can buy on a hobby $$$. How's that DJI object avoidance working out of curiosity?
I think rewind is a great feature in some situations for sure. But what is with the 60'? Is that the limit? IF user definable, why the 60" in the statement? It would have to be some sort of memory issue if so.
Rewind

With the press of a button, Solo will retrace its exact path for the last 60 feet of your flight (this distance will be user-definable in the app) to ensure it avoids obstacles on its way back home.

seems it would go hand in hand with the leash method of follow
no longer looking at flying between two points but traveling on a distinct path based on either the path of the device, or solos path

I think rewind is a great feature in some situations for sure. But what is with the 60'? Is that the limit? IF user definable, why the 60" in the statement? It would have to be some sort of memory issue if so.

I agree I'd like to know what the absolute limit is and why it was defaulted to 60 feet. Honestly, 60 feet seems almost useless. I wouldn't think it'd be a memory issue, the precise GPS path is saved to the logs for every flight, and even the 4 gig cards in my other APM based quads store dozens of flight logs.

I agree I'd like to know what the absolute limit is and why it was defaulted to 60 feet. Honestly, 60 feet seems almost useless. I wouldn't think it'd be a memory issue, the precise GPS path is saved to the logs for every flight, and even the 4 gig cards in my other APM based quads store dozens of flight logs.

Say you are 10 minute into a flight...overkill to rewind the entire flight path! Rewinding in increments until you regain control or can execute a traditional RTH seems like a solid way not to hit things.

Say you fly around a building or some odd shaped architecture. As I drew in this picture the shortest direct RTH path could lead a see and avoid system into a dead end. A situation like this would require a lot more computer learning to solve a return home solution that probably is not yet achievable with the equipment the masses only want to spend hobby dollars on.

IMG_2836.JPG

Hey guys, just wondering... am I the only one disappointed with the fact that there was no new gimbal debuted at NAB 2016 so far? And I don't mean for some infrared, mapping, site scan, or VR cam. I mean for a new video cam like a Sony, or Black Magic micro cam, etc...
I mean lets be honest the Solo gimbal isn't a good one. Unless your going to modify the gimbal for better performance, you going to see too much jello and vibration in your shot deeming it unusable for any semi-professional or higher use. Has anyone heard of a gimbal coming?

Reactions: dronepilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lalandeadam