Looking for help with the Tower app

The speed change is just what it does. Lay out some extra waypoints where you want speed changes, then change them to sped change waypoints.
Ahhh so just like Roi. So I changed my speed 4 times and deleted the first 4 way points. Lol

Makes sense after doing it. Its a cumbersome process and once again it crashed the app.

Speed change would be good for an ROI, then afterward, haul butt to the next ROI, change speed again.

Mine crashes when it hit pause. It asks if I want to submit a ticket.

#10 is the ROI on my house. So from the time it hits 8 until it gets to 11 it is constantly rotating to stay pointed at house. All the way points that don't show up are speed changes.

45.jpg

The speed is not working for me. I set my way point #2 to a speed way point and set it at the slowest 3 f/s. When you do that the dialog box says "change vehicle speed until end of mission". So I figured from this way point 2 on or basically the entire mission it would fly 3 f/s

I set it slow so it would not shake the crap out of the camera and I could actually see the circles and ROI I had set up.

So it took off, raised to elevation, paused for 10 seconds at way point #3 like I told it to and then did everything else as commanded but it hauled butt the entire time. Like about 30 fps.

I also have something going on where it finished the mission and then went up in elevation. Might be something I am not understanding about the end...

I think I will put a post on the DIY site and see if they have an answer.

The speed is not working for me. I set my way point #2 to a speed way point and set it at the slowest 3 f/s. When you do that the dialog box says "change vehicle speed until end of mission". So I figured from this way point 2 on or basically the entire mission it would fly 3 f/s

I set it slow so it would not shake the crap out of the camera and I could actually see the circles and ROI I had set up.

So it took off, raised to elevation, paused for 10 seconds at way point #3 like I told it to and then did everything else as commanded but it hauled butt the entire time. Like about 30 fps.

I also have something going on where it finished the mission and then went up in elevation. Might be something I am not understanding about the end...

I think I will put a post on the DIY site and see if they have an answer.
So I guess you set it once and that's it. I suppose you have to go into the parameters to change the default speed. Wouldn't know what that parameter is. At least with Ground Station you could set a speed for each waypoint. bucket list...

Yea I have no idea. It does not seem to respond at all. And I cant get MPH on mine. Can you? Imperial seems to be feet per second.

@erikgraham in continuation of our conversation on the follow me thread. We are getting it off topic so bringing it here

Here is a video of one of my Tower missions. Sorry painfully jerky. The Solo was booking along and it was breezy and of course no gimbal with a 5.4 lens. Anyway...

Waypoint 5 is my ROI. I added all the way-points in order so no rearranging or anything. You will see in video that ROI worked from 4 to 6 and as soon as it hit six it dropped out. Mission image below also.

My first mission was yesterday so I have no clue what I am doing but I am sure that my ROI is stopping at the next waypoint and not finishing the mission out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2015-07-15_19-35-19.jpg

@erikgraham in continuation of our conversation on the follow me thread. We are getting it off topic so bringing it here

Here is a video of one of my Tower missions. Sorry painfully jerky. The Solo was booking along and it was breezy and of course no gimbal with a 5.4 lens. Anyway...

Waypoint 5 is my ROI. I added all the way-points in order so no rearranging or anything. You will see in video that ROI worked from 4 to 6 and as soon as it hit six it dropped out. Mission image below also.

My first mission was yesterday so I have no clue what I am doing but I am sure that my ROI is stopping at the next waypoint and not finishing the mission out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View attachment 329
Interesting......boy I sure hope that gimbal is a good one...
I really hadn't paid attention to the speed. MPH FPS...I'll check next time.

Lol. That's bad isn't it.
Yes. I notice it even has airspeed. Guess you'd need a a pitot tube for that.

Edit: the video, yes, a little jumpy. One thing about the ground station, you can set how the phantom turns at each waypoint. An adaptive turn is a smooth rounded turn, no jerky movements. Another one for the bucket list.

Have you gone out of radio range yet?

Last edited:
Interesting. I'll have to take a closer look at the mission tomorrow (on a bigger screen than this phone) to see if anything jumps out.

It also gives me a reason to fly the Solo to do some tests. Been waiting for the gimbal.

In the meantime, try a mission where the ROI is the first or second waypoint after launch. Only add navigation way points (spline or regular). So no circles/orbits etc. Maybe there is a bug in Tower when you include those other waypoints in the mission.

Also, there is a param for heading during a waypoint missions. I have to look it up but it's near the end of the list. It starts with WP_ or WPNAV_ (i think it's WPNAV_YAW). There are a few options that effect which way the camera points between waypoints. I don't think this has anything to do with the issue you are having, but it might. Curious to know what yours is set to. (There is one setting where you can control the yaw of the craft while it executes a mission. Pretty handy for setting up complex dolly/cable cam type shots, but anyway)

Just zoomed in on your mission planing screen. There is only one way point after the ROI, then you circle. As soon as it hits six, the ROI is cleared and it starts going for 7 and executing that. Had there been more nav way points after the ROI it would stayed focused on the ROI until it reached the last one before the circle.

Not sure I follow but I will do more testing with more way points. I ran one prior that seemed to act the same way but I honestly forget the details. So speculating on my part will just confuse things :)

Regarding the speed issue with Tower and Solo.

I did get it to work but apparently there is an issue with solo.

I was told this by a developer.

"It should work although it's possible the speed change won't take effect until the next waypoint if this fix isn't in Solo's version of ardupilot (Solo uses a modified version of AC3.3 and maybe it's missing this fix). Solo should converge with master in a few months (hopefully) so if this is the issue it should be fixed.."

https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/commit/d1808c645d041f4d0729a5a14409236aea7a1744

Not sure I follow but I will do more testing with more way points. I ran one prior that seemed to act the same way but I honestly forget the details. So speculating on my part will just confuse things :)

Regarding the speed issue with Tower and Solo.

I did get it to work but apparently there is an issue with solo.

I was told this by a developer.

"It should work although it's possible the speed change won't take effect until the next waypoint if this fix isn't in Solo's version of ardupilot (Solo uses a modified version of AC3.3 and maybe it's missing this fix). Solo should converge with master in a few months (hopefully) so if this is the issue it should be fixed.."

https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/commit/d1808c645d041f4d0729a5a14409236aea7a1744
That's interesting Rich. Regarding it being a 'Tower' issue; have you tried the same type of missions with MP yet? I wonder if it would behave differently.

Speed change at a way point is relatively new to Tower. I think that came out in Feb/March. Even in Mission Planner I found them a bit buggy before that.

Good info guys. Have not tried them in MP yet. I cant conclusively say what it is that made it work except adding maybe a few way-points after take off and get your speed set before you really need it.

Tower really doesnt have much value to me with a quad flying 30 mph :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso