If you could only perform (1) Mod to your 3DR Solo?

Reaction score
Hello, my first post here and I am still waiting for my 3DR Solo to arrive. I have viewed 100s of videos and read countless opinions and there doesn't seem to be a common consensus of which Mod would be the first if not the only one. So I am asking the community of Pilots who I consider far more experienced than yours truly.

thank you for your consideration,

Coach K, Out3DR Solo.JPG

GPS would be top on my list. Have 3 Solo's two of which have HERE upgrades. Take your time with the Solo and when sure all functions properly do an GPS upgrade.

Hello, my first post here and I am still waiting for my 3DR Solo to arrive. I have viewed 100s of videos and read countless opinions and there doesn't seem to be a common consensus of which Mod would be the first if not the only one. So I am asking the community of Pilots who I consider far more experienced than yours truly.

thank you for your consideration,

Coach K, Out

I upgraded the WiFi card in my controller to fix lost connection with Solo when I'm standing near a lot of WiFi signal.

I upgraded GPS to ensure good location info for the PixHawk when I'm flying near trees and structures.

I upgraded antennas to direct a strong signal through small tree branches and for better signal at distance.

I upgraded my GoPro lens...

My point is that there is no right one or first upgrade that is best for everyone. If you want to know what to upgrade first, consider your experience level with drones, the amount of WiFi interference you'll be flying in, if you'll be flying near trees/structures, what distance you'll be flying, what you want to do with your Solo...

Upgrades are done to fix problems and add functionality. What you want/need determines what to upgrade - not what anyone tells you without knowing more about your needs and flying environment.

If you have a few more bucks you can spend, I would recommend more batteries and maybe an extra battery charger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Green Cube turns the Solo into a different animal Just doooooooooooo it......

Disclaimer: not my video also might be disturbing to some folks...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I upgraded the WiFi card in my controller to fix lost connection with Solo when I'm standing near a lot of WiFi signal.

I upgraded GPS to ensure good location info for the PixHawk when I'm flying near trees and structures.

I upgraded antennas to direct a strong signal through small tree branches and for better signal at distance.

I upgraded my GoPro lens...

My point is that there is no right one or first upgrade that is best for everyone. If you want to know what to upgrade first, consider your experience level with drones, the amount of WiFi interference you'll be flying in, if you'll be flying near trees/structures, what distance you'll be flying, what you want to do with your Solo...

Upgrades are done to fix problems and add functionality. What you want/need determines what to upgrade - not what anyone tells you without knowing more about your needs and flying environment.
Morning Jim,

Thank you for the open and honest reply, it's feedback exactly like yours that will create the next list of searches and tutorials. I must have 20,000 action photographs and 5000+ videos of my teams over the years all saved and shared via mediafire file sharing and the highest elevation of any would be from 120' top of a stadium light pole in high winds. I am looking forward to the high quality possibilities that this Solo is going to present. I recognize I am new to drones but not necessarily a rookie and I have followed the guidelines and rules set by the FAA. Don't even get me started on the wide choice of apps for fly/no fly zones. I have compiled the list in the same order you mention it and I thank you again for sharing the incite of experience.

If I may, do you have an opinion on the best overall performing propellers?

Coach K

Nike's First Athlete!

One of his best quotes ever, "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" He has been an inspiration for so many for so many years. I share his story with first year players all the time. Thanks SteveX,

Founded in 1964, Nike quickly rose to the top of athletic apparel and footwear companies with much thanks to endorsements from icons such as Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, Jerry Rice, and Ken Griffey Jr. It is no doubt that these athletes along with many others have been a key driving force behind the brand’s success, but without the existence of one man, and you may or may not have heard his name, Nike’s longstanding success may have never came to be. This man’s name was Steve Prefontaine.

Coach K

Reactions: XevetS
GPS would be top on my list. Have 3 Solo's two of which have HERE upgrades. Take your time with the Solo and when sure all functions properly do an GPS upgrade.

Very Wise Advice Dave,

I truly do recognize the value of patience. There is so much information to absorb to become a skilled pilot before I ever leave the ground. This being my first drone with GPS. The Solo should be here this week and I have downloaded the app from 3DR Solo Support, Preflight etc. The videos are endless. I am in no hurry there are plenty of example showing the results of impatient. I will go "Slolo" for sure.

May I ask you also, do you have a best performing propeller?

Coach K

Morning Jim,

Thank you for the open and honest reply, it's feedback exactly like yours that will create the next list of searches and tutorials. I must have 20,000 action photographs and 5000+ videos of my teams over the years all saved and shared via mediafire file sharing and the highest elevation of any would be from 120' top of a stadium light pole in high winds. I am looking forward to the high quality possibilities that this Solo is going to present. I recognize I am new to drones but not necessarily a rookie and I have followed the guidelines and rules set by the FAA. Don't even get me started on the wide choice of apps for fly/no fly zones. I have compiled the list in the same order you mention it and I thank you again for sharing the incite of experience.

If I may, do you have an opinion on the best overall performing propellers?

Coach K

I've only used Master Airscrew. I haven't used APC, but some experienced flyers feel APC has a slight advantage for video quality.

I am just the opposite, I have had APC for a while, prefer them in higher winds
Actually ordered some Master Airscrew props and they never showed up, I order so much crap I actually forgot I ordered them.
May try them someday

I have heard a lot about it but have no idea what free cube is.could someone please explain it to me.newbe

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining it to me.not sure if I'm ready for that yet.sounds a little confusing to me.haven't got solex yet.still trying to get my wings.haha

User Name's replacement gimbal data cable....best mod ever...! If you have a gimbal.

Everything is just maintenance issues, gps shielding V2, bearings and APC props...

Maybe the most overlooked upgrade is the firmware upgrade. No money spent, just a little time and effort needed.

You should have posted this one:

Reactions: XevetS

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo