I hate to kick a dead drone but my video is killing me!

Reaction score
Let me start be telling all the things I have done, I believe I have a 1st batch solo but I'm not sure. I've had it for almost a year, but I had to wait for the gimbal for what seemed like forever. Ok here it goes...
I have vibration and sometimes some minor jello issues. I have set my GP4 black set to the recommended settings set forth here. Pro tune on, everything else off. 400 ISO, ND3 filter 1080/60 or higher doesn't matter. Bright day/ dark day doesn't matter. Windy or calm doesn't matter. I have FPVLR antenna and GPS foil mod (which helped a lot by the way). I have balanced my props and tried different props too. I have checked the screws, ear plugs in the mounting bulbs and Moon gel between the gimbal mount. Helped only marginally, but it did help. I also have installed the HDMI ribbon cable.
My issue is this, any time I fly with the gimbal at or above 79 or 80* I get vibrations and or jelloing. It's killing me softly. I also have a GP4 silver and its the same thing....
Any thoughts? A friend who also has a solo doesn't have any of these issues. He thinks I may have a defective gimbal!?

Reactions: KathyRo
"It's killing me softly"
LOL! I'm in touch with that emotion.
I don't have any suggestions to fix your problem but this is a great way to express the frustration we all go through at one point or another.

Reactions: Doug Benson
Let me start be telling all the things I have done, I believe I have a 1st batch solo but I'm not sure. I've had it for almost a year, but I had to wait for the gimbal for what seemed like forever. Ok here it goes...
I have vibration and sometimes some minor jello issues. I have set my GP4 black set to the recommended settings set forth here. Pro tune on, everything else off. 400 ISO, ND3 filter 1080/60 or higher doesn't matter. Bright day/ dark day doesn't matter. Windy or calm doesn't matter. I have FPVLR antenna and GPS foil mod (which helped a lot by the way). I have balanced my props and tried different props too. I have checked the screws, ear plugs in the mounting bulbs and Moon gel between the gimbal mount. Helped only marginally, but it did help. I also have installed the HDMI ribbon cable.
My issue is this, any time I fly with the gimbal at or above 79 or 80* I get vibrations and or jelloing. It's killing me softly. I also have a GP4 silver and its the same thing....
Any thoughts? A friend who also has a solo doesn't have any of these issues. He thinks I may have a de
Props off in your house turn in on. Sweep the gimbal up and down. Mine was making a grinding sound. and vibrating. I contacted 3DR, and they said it could be the flex cable in the back of the gimbal. Inspect your gimbal for an signs of damage?

Have you contacted 3DR?

i would check your gimbal installation. check the dampening balls as well as the cable routing. if all that checks out then maybe you have defective gimbal and need to contact support.

i had vibes early on and kept trying different things such as the flat hdmi, arris balls, etc. just made it worse. it ended up being my installation, i removed all the addons and went back to stock and now everything is awesome.

i would check your gimbal installation. check the dampening balls as well as the cable routing. if all that checks out then maybe you have defective gimbal and need to contact support.

i had vibes early on and kept trying different things such as the flat hdmi, arris balls, etc. just made it worse. it ended up being my installation, i removed all the addons and went back to stock and now everything is awesome.
Hmmmm, well the have helped each a little in their own way but after I contact 3 Dr again, we'll see what happens.

Mine is grounded pending a support ticket.
but if it goes in, I am taking the ribbon out.
So I will have version 1 and the newest version for sale

I'd venture to bet the HDMI cable is your issue, sounds like it is restricting the gimbal's movement. The main area of contact is at back corner hidden underneath the main board when the gimbal is installed. The strut on the frame will grab at the HDMI cable as it turns towards the gimbal HDMI connector.

I'll try to produce a video showing this effect later tonight.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've added this video to my thread suggesting a work around for the issue.

Macro vibe reduction?
Thanks for that awesome reply but as I said I have the HDMI ribbon cable so this doesn't apply.

Reactions: RichWest
when i tried the flat hdmi, the gimbal end was rubbing ever so slightly in the back. i could have cut the plastic where the rubbing was happening but i opted not to. and this was the v2 cable.

just tried installing the latest version ribbon cable
no video feed at all
took it out, and when I laid it on the table the end fell off
put the stock rigid one back in, and everything is right with the world again
going to keep mine grounded until the next update though
something very wrong with that last release

@Doug Benson I have exactly the same problem. I started noticing it from the last 2-3 flights...
Sounds like a gimbal problem to me as well. Can you report back with 3dr's response?

@pyrate what is wrong with the last release? Btw, I was out trying the new follow me modes. Nothing worked, it didn't even looked at me. I had 12 gps locks.

well some people are having no issues
but a bunch of us have a problem with services crashing and smart shots not working right.
I have recalibrated at the request of support and will be flying again tomorrow and sending more logs

Good news (at least for me)
I took the gimbal out and found out this:
20160514_154845.jpg
The two front dampening balls/ear plugs or whatever they are called were out of place (see the one on the right, the left one I already put back in)

This is where the vibration came from. I just tested and video looks good now :)

Last edited:
click the upload a file below the text window to the right of Post Reply
then select the full image option

Reactions: peppys
Good news (at least for me)
I took the gimbal out and found out this:
View attachment 3378
The two front dampening balls/ear plugs or whatever they are called were out of place (see the one on the right, the left one I already put back in)

This is where the vibration came from. I just tested and video looks good now :)
Yeah I checked that too, when I did the Ear plugs mod to see if that would help the vibes. Ugh.

Here is a little video showing how bad the vibes and or Jello is...
Also an update I tried to fly the drone on Saturday 5/14/16 and now the gimbal doesnt work at all.
Never heard back from 3dr since the first ticket the other day. So now I just put in another one for the gimbal malfunction. And its making this crazy hum now....
Vibes...
Gimbal noise...

Any one know if 3dr would replace the gimbal?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc