GoPro Time Lapse Photo Mode...

Reaction score
When in time lapse photo mode I can't get the red button in the Solo App to actually do anything. If I set it to regular photo mode it works, but it goes black while taking the photos. Is the expected behavior, or is it just mine? If this normal, how are people handling taking still photos if they still want to frame the shots.

Time lapse should be used while camera is on a tripod, not moving.
You can set GoPro to "video+photo" for stills while flying or grap a still frame out of the video while doing post production.

Time lapse should be used while camera is on a tripod, not moving.
You can set GoPro to "video+photo" for stills while flying or grap a still frame out of the video while doing post production.

Why? I'm not talking about time lapse video, I'm talking about time lapse photos (i.e. take a picture every 1 second) Doing so allows me to get regularly spaced pictures for mapping (photo mosaics) as the Solo moves through a flight path. Is there a better way to do this? video+stills only allows every 5 seconds as the lowest interval. I want every 1 second.

I don't think the GoPro is the right camera for that. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge about that application will chime in.
Time lapse usually refers to a series of photos taken from a fixed point over a period of time.

Time-lapse video actually looks really cool from a drone if done well... I haven't tried it myself but imagine it would require some descent piloting skill.

Why? I'm not talking about time lapse video, I'm talking about time lapse photos (i.e. take a picture every 1 second) Doing so allows me to get regularly spaced pictures for mapping (photo mosaics) as the Solo moves through a flight path. Is there a better way to do this? video+stills only allows every 5 seconds as the lowest interval. I want every 1 second.
You need to set it to Simultaneous Video + Photo. Your interval selections for that are Photo every 5, 10, 30, 60 seconds.

Have you tried activating by pressing in on the tilt button? Are you using Tower for the auto flight?
I have done surveys with Solo but used the Video/photo mode on the GP. The 5sec interval works but you will fly a little higher.
@Maddog ; Time lapse is used for mapping and surveys from MRs.

Reactions: Maddog
I am creatings dsms and ortho using go pro 5.4 lens taking pics every 2 seconds flying at 12 ft/s. I start taking pics before i take off. After geo tagging i use pix4d to select pics at altitude. That is my work flow.i use tower for flight execution and planning

I am creatings dsms and ortho using go pro 5.4 lens taking pics every 2 seconds flying at 12 ft/s. I start taking pics before i take off. After geo tagging i use pix4d to select pics at altitude. That is my work flow.i use tower for flight execution and planning

Thanks for the reply. That is what I am doing as well. I was just wondering if there was a way to see through the camera while on that type of mission.

I have just received a modified GoPro with a 4.35 lens. What process did you use in order to create a camera model for Pix4D using your 5.4 lens in a gopro?

I was also trying to figure this out as well. I wanted to take some aerial photos but when i put the GoPro in Timelapse mode it does'nt allow me to see the live feed in the Solo App, the screen is just black. Which mode is best to use to take Aerial photos and will allow me to see the live feed so i can frame the shot? Hopefully this wil get adjusted when they release the in app Gopro Controls and we can switch modes and still keep the Live feed/Preview active.

I was also trying to figure this out as well. I wanted to take some aerial photos but when i put the GoPro in Timelapse mode it does'nt allow me to see the live feed in the Solo App, the screen is just black. Which mode is best to use to take Aerial photos and will allow me to see the live feed so i can frame the shot? Hopefully this wil get adjusted when they release the in app Gopro Controls and we can switch modes and still keep the Live feed/Preview active.
When I am doing a survey, I use the simultaneous video/photo mode of GoPro. It shoots every 5 seconds while also recording at 1080p and still get live feed.

Reactions: TheeRod
George,

You have to edit the "camera model" in PIX4D, see the pic below. You will need to obtain sensor data i.e focal length , width etc. I believe you can take a picture and there is a function in planner where you can extract that data. If you cant find it let me know and you can send me a example pic and I can extract it for you. If you do not mind I would like to know how happy your are with the results from the 4.3 lens. Below links are a ortho and dsm I obtained from a survey yesterday(scroll wheel to zoom in). I plan to get RTK in the near future for increased accuracy.

Martin

Ortho

DroneDeploy - Put your drone to work!

DSM

PIX4d.PNG

George,

You have to edit the "camera model" in PIX4D, see the pic below. You will need to obtain sensor data i.e focal length , width etc. I believe you can take a picture and there is a function in planner where you can extract that data. If you cant find it let me know and you can send me a example pic and I can extract it for you. If you do not mind I would like to know how happy your are with the results from the 4.3 lens. Below links are a ortho and dsm I obtained from a survey yesterday(scroll wheel to zoom in). I plan to get RTK in the near future for increased accuracy.

Martin

Ortho

DSM

View attachment 1514

I have not used it much yet as I just got it yesterday, but I will report. Thanks for your examples, they look great.

Have you tried activating by pressing in on the tilt button? Are you using Tower for the auto flight?
I have done surveys with Solo but used the Video/photo mode on the GP. The 5sec interval works but you will fly a little higher.
@Maddog ; Time lapse is used for mapping and surveys from MRs.
Ahh.. thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware of that- that's why I hang out here so I can learn! :cool:

When in time lapse photo mode I can't get the red button in the Solo App to actually do anything. If I set it to regular photo mode it works, but it goes black while taking the photos. Is the expected behavior, or is it just mine? If this normal, how are people handling taking still photos if they still want to frame the shots.

currently the red button only works in video and photo modes, not multi shot modes. when the app is updated to allow control of gopro modes and settings, the red button will work in those other modes. to take a time lapse, start the recording before taking off (until the app is updated).

as far as the screen going black, when the gopro releases the shutter, the hdmi out is disabled for the shutter duration. this is how the gopro works. to take a picture, just frame your shot and press the red button.

Hi, I had same problem with time lapse, no way to have video transmission. For the kind of work I needed, I solved the problem filming in 2.7k and then extracting frames as jpeg using sonyvegas. Resolution was keep it and then I was able to produce the 360 degree panorama.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig