I would love to see a log of this event. Mag interference? RTL setting certainly would need to be altered for this type of RTL. We really don't know if the controller never said it was trying to come home. Not calling the OP a liar but sometimes recollection is not a 100% accurate.

Damn. Who knows! Your Solo could be lying right next to Amelia?

Can only speculate as to what happened, but I would bet that Solo lost controller and GPS signal due to the tower cables and/or towers, then either landed in the water or hit something and fell in the water.

Can only speculate as to what happened, but I would bet that Solo lost controller and GPS signal due to the tower cables and/or towers, then either landed in the water or hit something and fell in the water.
But why hasn't BESTFilms accessed the controller logs?????

I haven't played with the Arducopter settings lately, but wasn't there an option for loss of GPS and RC to have it just hover in place (well, being taken wherever the wind would take it)?

That could lead to it's own problems if the battery died, but it would give it some time to regain GPS and then initiate a normal RTL. On the rare occasion I've lost GPS, it's always come back within a few seconds. Would be nice if it wouldn't just give up and try to land immediately.

Here's the airspace around Tampa - it would appear that most of the bridge is clear - but flying on the Tampa end would require permission.

tampa_airspace.jpg

The OP was only notifying us he lost his drone and was asking for help in locating it.

Why are so many of you beating him up over permission and airspace issues?

Doing so just discourages others from asking for help or sharing their experiences.

There's a time & place for everything. If you want to share your knowledge of FAA rules & airspace, another thread or forum would be more appropriate.

You are correct - but I was trying to make the point that a fairly large part of the bridge would be open to flying without permission.
Beating someone up online is never a good idea - especially someone who is posting real experience.
I apologize if I went off subject. Still, drones are passing from 'hobby' to serious business very rapidly.

Exactly. And don’t just shoot from the hip- you can see those who have researched the area and have concrete evidence that validates exactly what is and is not restricted air space.
These incidents should be used to educate all drone operators.

Feeling a little Sister Sledge here....
And,and we fly like birds of a feather-
Come On IrishmanPDX- I know you have this in your 8-Track player!!

Reactions: brianuc4
I too would love to know what happened. I am nowhere near confident enough to fly over traffic on a bridge. Fly up to it and film it from a distance yes but no way confident enough to run it over freeway traffic. I guess I am a huge wimp hence the reasons my footage is mostly boring nature crap. The city flight stuff around moving traffic or over tall buildings with a single bound I just don't have the balls to attempt. That said, (off topic sorry) I searched FlyAways here and it may be simply explained as Pedals put it. Lost GPS and Transmitter signal same time maybe due to interference/broadcasts signals on the bridge? Super bad luck for sure and what I seen in past threads is it just lands somewhere when that happens after the batteries get low. The smart guys here can pick it apart after you figure out how to upload the logs. Thank you for posting this as I am on this forum to learn and apply this knowledge for my very next flight. Although you are sad your SOLO is gone be happy I/we may learn from your misfortune. I have a little cash reward note on my bird(s) with my cell number along with my UAS number. (If I loose one of them just need to know /hold the pieces as to allow closure to occur:() I contemplated not doing this for liability reasons but decided this accountability will increase/influence my judgement flight choices.

Reactions: Solo Keith
One other comment. I read in this thread something about technologies available around airports that somehow can technically scramble hobby drone flights and ground them? I have not read up on this but taking it at face value as being accurate, researched, and proven fact I wonder if this is also being deployed around other areas that states may not want drone traffic? If this is being done I would hope they would communicate this info as to deter behavior proactively rather than jeopardize safety due to a flyaway. If that is the case then we will be seeing more if this especially on cruise ships leaving port. :cool:

RiverPilot-
In the end, it’s one lost Solo. That sucks for that owner- but like yourself, I wouldn’t fly my Solo over traffic- on a bridge or not- If Solo falls out of the air and strikes a vehicle- it would/ could be catastrophic. Luckily, that didn’t occur.

Exactly. And don’t just shoot from the hip- you can see those who have researched the area and have concrete evidence that validates exactly what is and is not restricted air space.
These incidents should be used to educate all drone operators.

Listen, I already apologized above. I made a mistake. I'll say it again - I should've looked a little bit closer before shooting my mouth off

I do, however, disagree that we shouldn't bring up airspace and permission issues. We all need to be educated about such, or else the states and feds are gonna ground every single one of us because of incidents like out over the Hudson a while back.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
USMC86 (US Marine Core?) If so thank you for your service sir and thanks for confirmation. In addition to the financial impact bad decisions cost I also don't want to be the guy on the news everyone in this/other forums gets documented in the folklore bible of one of "the" guy's that wrecked it for us. Yep thanks to this River Pilot ding dong and others like him I now can only fly my 16 ounce drone 30' off the ground on my own property and I am now really sick of 30' video taken of my house. o_O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela