Do you oil your motor pods? What oil do you use?

FYI Tri-flow is used on bike chains and can be found in many bicycle shops. At least in my neck of the woods.

Reactions: TexasDJ
Would powder graphite work? Or would White Lightning work too. It is a chain lubricant for mountain bikes and leaves a slick residue that is formulated to not pick up dirt or dust.
Graphite is good for door hinges, etc. I think it would act as an abrasive if applied to something spinning at high speed.
I drank white lightning once- wouldn't lube a motor with it.:D

For those who have multiple Solos, it would be amazing if you posted a video comparison of one with and without oil.

I read that once you start oiling the motors you MUST forever continue oiling them so you're stuck on that route and can never back out. You're also more likely to attract dirt by oiling them. At least from my research...

On the other hand, 3DR claims to have kept the drone up in the air for 40 days straight with no problems so I'm torn on making the call on this.

For those who have multiple Solos, it would be amazing if you posted a video comparison of one with and without oil.

I read that once you start oiling the motors you MUST forever continue oiling them so you're stuck on that route and can never back out. You're also more likely to attract dirt by oiling them. At least from my research...

On the other hand, 3DR claims to have kept the drone up in the air for 40 days straight with no problems so I'm torn on making the call on this.

I can spare my 20 minutes of work related to oiling afer my motors will reach 10 working hours to extend motors lifespan :) Don't know for how long motor pods will be available as spare parts.

3DR also claimed 25 minutes of flight time. You have 2 pieces of metal rubbing against each other at high speed- why wouldn't you lube them? Not much different than running your car's engine without oil.o_O

I'm new to Solo but been using this for ages on different birds and also on all types of fan for ages. It's not primary for bearings but works beautifully and not harmful to plastic, rubber etc

Brunox Epoxy, TurboSpray, Lubri-Food, IX-50, IX-100, BikeCare, Waffenpflege

4c3662c8c14032fbbcf0539349c2985a.jpg

Seems like this would collect dirt? I was reading one of the oils listed and it said you should wipe down the bearings every time you add oil to collect the dirt that has attached to the bearings? Not sure which way to go on this :rolleyes:

Sooner or later dirt will go in anyway. They are not sealed hermetically

I have had my solo for a few months now. I haven't used any oil on these stock motor pods even once yet. I do notice that the pods get "warm" after a flight but certainly not hot. Do these motor pods come shipped with a long lasting motor grease that shouldn't be "washed" out with cheap oil product? The "mechanic" in me thinks I should be at least using some kind of durable oil at some sort of interval. What do you guys use if anything and how often?
Readers of this thread may want to read the comments on this thread on DIY Drones. Particularly the several comments by Gary McCray. Somewhere on this 3DRPilots site, there's probably a photo or two of the bearings on a Solo motor.

I got wrapped up in the oil/don't oil debate a while back. The emphatic consensus by several very respected members was the motors were not designed to be oiled and more harm than good came from doing so. It would seem that there should be good professional guidence by motor manufactures as to any requirement to oil or not.

Reactions: Maddog
I got wrapped up in the oil/don't oil debate a while back. The emphatic consensus by several very respected members was the motors were not designed to be oiled and more harm than good came from doing so. It would seem that there should be good professional guidence by motor manufactures as to any requirement to oil or not.
Good point but I haven't seen anything on that yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44