Do you oil your motor pods? What oil do you use?

Reaction score
I have had my solo for a few months now. I haven't used any oil on these stock motor pods even once yet. I do notice that the pods get "warm" after a flight but certainly not hot. Do these motor pods come shipped with a long lasting motor grease that shouldn't be "washed" out with cheap oil product? The "mechanic" in me thinks I should be at least using some kind of durable oil at some sort of interval. What do you guys use if anything and how often?

Reactions: RENATO TOME
Some will tell you that the motors have sealed bearings and not to oil them. Others will tell you to perform preventive maintenance and oil them, it doesn't hurt.

I oil my Solo motors every 10 hours of flight time. But be careful what oil you use. Don't use 3-in-1 oil, sewing machine oil, or WD-40. I use Boca High-speed Bearing Oil (made for motors). One syringe will last forever.
http://www.amazon.com/Boca-Bearings...d=1459204934&sr=8-1&keywords=boca+bearing+oil

Reactions: brianuc4 and Jake J
Reactions: Jake J
Thanks for the suggestions, I can't fight the feeling that I need to be oiling these pods, I will definitely take a look. Surprising I can't seem to find anything official about maintenance. I guess they do say to expect to replace your motor pods after 150 hours, maybe that is their maintenance plan?

Oh, your ears will definitely tell you lol. Solo bearings seem to really NEED to be lubed at least every 30 hours. Mine started squealing so loudly I could hear it approaching for blocks.

Reactions: Jake J
Oh, your ears will definitely tell you lol. Solo bearings seem to really NEED to be lubed at least every 30 hours. Mine started squealing so loudly I could hear it approaching for blocks.

Yeah, if you arm Solo with no props on an just slow/stop each motor for a tiny moment, the howler will be obvious. :)

Would powder graphite work? Or would White Lightning work too. It is a chain lubricant for mountain bikes and leaves a slick residue that is formulated to not pick up dirt or dust.

Hate to be that guy to dig up an old thread, but I can't seem to find how to actually do the lubrication. I have triflow, just need to know where to lubricate.

1. Remove the motor pod.
2. Use the tri-flow pin point lubricator.
3. Put one drop on the bottom bearing (pretty much in between the circlip)
5. Wait 20-30 seconds for it to sink in.
6. Spin the motor by hand in both directions for about 10 seconds.
7. Flip the motor over and do the same for the top bearing.
8. Repeat for the remaining motors.
9. Put motor pods back into Solo.
10. Power up Solo (without props).
11. Wait till Solo arms or go to Fly: Manual.
12. Run the motors up for 10 seconds.
13. Wait for a minute or two for the oil to settle.
14. Run the motors up for 30 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your call. I've been oiling mine for months and no problems. I take @RolandS888 advice and run with it. He knows his stuff. Check out the T-Motor replacement post its discussed there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you the [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] forum police!
no need to be a smart prick about it. Obviously I'm frustrated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44