Reaction score
i appreciate all the hard work you guys have put into this and have shown my support buying Solex to help the projects development.

Recently while flying, my Solo came tumbling out of the sky. She hit ground hard, was severely damaged and rendered completely unflyable. I sent the flight log to 3DR for analysis and got a prompt reply from Mike M . A motor pod failure was responsible for the crash but unfortunately because I was flying with 3rd party software and firmware , there is no recourse for me to recover any of the damages. A significant bummer especially considering that I've bought, lost and crashed 2 other Solos, including gimbals and GoPro 4s which were deemed operator error. (Though one of those incidents I still failed to see how it was my fault ; a battery going from about 60% to 0 % in under 60 seconds!) Anyway back to this motor pod failure. It seems unfortunate that finally I might have been able to recover a fraction of what I've invested and lost over the last couple of years. Funds are tight right now and a new Solo would have been a nice Christmas present. Heck even a new fuselage and replacement motor pod would have been nice. I could certainly cobble a working So together with all the remaining surplus parts I have. But not with that body. She's broken bad and will never fly safely again. But because of my choosing to use Open Solo and or third party software /firmware - it's not gonna happen.

The main reason I selected to run OpenSolo in the first place was for its improved safety. I noticed immediately after switching that landings,especially difficult ones were SO MUCH more stable , controlable and hence safer that what had been occasionally very sketchy using 3DR s software/firmware. One of the Solos I mentioned earlier that was crashed was due to one such bad HOP after landing .The Solo took off again after landing with no commands from me to do so and was uncontrollable, crashing into a near by building .Fortunately no one was hurt.

It's seems unreasonable to me for 3DR to expect us to continue flying a flawed system that is dead ended in development. If a motor pod failed and caused the crash , is that not 3DRs responsibility regardless of what software /firmware I'm flying with at the time?

Help me out here folks. Please enlighten me if I'm missing something here .

I'm not bashing Open Solo, nor Solex. I was loving them. And looking forward to a bright future of change and improvements. I'm not bashing Mike at 3DR . He's just following company policy. I'm just bummed and a bit confused as to how to move forward from this .
Do I really want to invest again , and then have to choose between safety of myself and others vs. covering my ass should something go wrong causing damage or loss to my investment that might be recoupable?

I expressed these concerns to 3DR in a similar level headed , courteous manner but I have yet to hear back from them.

Choosing to use open solo comes with the understanding that you are accepting you void your warranty.
Solex, I would argue that they would not even know the difference between the 3dr app or solex, but I could be wrong.
If you have a Solo that is still under warranty, and you value that warranty stay with stock until it is out of warranty.
I gave up on warranty a looooooooong time ago

So far I have not had any issues with OpenSolo or the green cube for that matter quite the contrary, but like any other RC model parts can and will most certainly fail (not if but when), it happens all the time. I knew straight away any modding or third party software will void any warranty. Mine were out of warranty so I was fine with that. I'm sorry for your loss, but here's an Idea "why not by a new frame whether a solo or some other type and start from scratch". It's actually very rewarding bringing a crashed solo back to life again. Good luck

Reactions: carpy
That's the nature of business. The warranty rules are clear, and 3DR has no reason to bend them now. They're not even in the business anymore, so customer goodwill doesn't even benefit them. Any denied warranty claim is money saved and that's their bottom line now.

I to am sorry for your crash BUT you can get new frames on ebay for $25 and a new pod is under $30. You can't fix a RC car or plane that cheap.

To be honest, I'm surprised that 3DR even accepts and reviews flight logs. They have publicly stated that they are out of the Solo business. I have no expectation of support from them. I get 100% of my support from the great folks on this forum. I am sorry you had a hardware failure...it is always something I think about when I am flying. There really is nothing one can do except hope you are low and in a soft spot when it fails.

Reactions: skyhax
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I should probably retitle the thread as I don't blame Open Solo for what happened. Not the hardware failure nor the voided warranty. I only can blame myself for the decision made and the risk undertaken.
Live and learn.

I have one solo left , still under warranty. I may switch that one back to 3DR compliant until the warranty is expired. I'll rebuild this busted up one and fly OpenSolo which I still prefer. I had no idea frames were so cheap. Thanks for that.

And big thanks to the drone gods that I did NOT have my gimbal and GoPro attached in that fatal flight. They would have surely been obliterated.

To be honest, I'm surprised that 3DR even accepts and reviews flight logs. They have publicly stated that they are out of the Solo business. I have no expectation of support from them.
Because they're required by law to honor the warranty that it was advertised and sold with. I expect that 1yr after the last consumer new in box Solo is sold, they'll be closing their consumer support.

The price has indeed gone up, 4 months ago I got 10 for $200 from a guy that parted out solo's. I rebuild solo's and the body always comes in broke.

Not sure why 3dr is not still selling parts? They still sell the solo but only on the enterprise market for commercial mapping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela