Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

Will this work the same way on a H4 Silver? and thanks Jubair
Yep. According to the video description: "This procedure will also work for the Hero 3, 3+ and 4; Including all sub-models- white, silver and black."

Hey David, When I first saw Peau's video I was not wanting to do it either. But there is a much faster and easier way. No need to open the GP.

Jubalr,

Use some caution with this video. This is the video I saw that gave me the confidence to give it a go. Didn't go that way for me but I've heard from others that it was easy. Mine was glued in there and was not coming out!

Long story short, I ruined the lens and ultimately the mount as well. I ended up having to take the whole thing apart anyway! I have since done the "tear down" method three times and am more comfortable doing so. Just takes time, the right tools and a lot of patience. It's not something I will look forward to doing again but I'd do it if I had to.

The good thing is once you do it the first time it's merely a matter of screwing lenses in and out in the future. My recommendation is to buy the mount (they're inexpensive) when you buy the lens, put the new lens in the new mount and install the new mount and lens into the GoPro. That way you still have the pristine OEM lens and mount intact.

Just my opinion, of course!

Jerry

Jubalr,

Use some caution with this video. This is the video I saw that gave me the confidence to give it a go. Didn't go that way for me but I've heard from others that it was easy. Mine was glued in there and was not coming out!

Long story short, I ruined the lens and ultimately the mount as well. I ended up having to take the whole thing apart anyway! I have since done the "tear down" method three times and am more comfortable doing so. Just takes time, the right tools and a lot of patience. It's not something I will look forward to doing again but I'd do it if I had to.

The good thing is once you do it the first time it's merely a matter of screwing lenses in and out in the future. My recommendation is to buy the mount (they're inexpensive) when you buy the lens, put the new lens in the new mount and install the new mount and lens into the GoPro. That way you still have the pristine OEM lens and mount intact.

Just my opinion, of course!

Jerry
Not sure why your was so stubborn. You must have good old Mr Murphy hanging out with you. Looking at the video comments looks like most have had good experience with it.

that is the critical part, I just did a quick wrist movement, and mine cut lose with little resistance

Not sure why your was so stubborn. You must have good old Mr Murphy hanging out with you. Looking at the video comments looks like most have had good experience with it.

Yeah, Mr. Murphy was there alright! Just thought I'd share a personal experience. Because I was having such difficulty, I went out and did some searching, while in the midst of it but before I ruined it. I read somewhere that GoPro was gluing them in tighter to try to stop people from changing the lenses. Maybe too many people were screwing them up and trying to put it back on GoPro? All I can tell you is mine was not coming out of there with this procedure. I haven't tried it with any of my other GP's, I felt (for me) it was better to just swap the mounts.

Jerry

My 3+ came out easy as well, I was concerned about doing it for months but found it was simple .... you'll need a specific lead to connect it, I think I got the spec off gopros site.

If you try and if it's hard to unscrew use a hair dryer to apply some heat which should loosen up the glue, the only other thing I'd say is as soon as it moves personally I'd face the lens to the ground as the glue can create tiny flakes as it it comes undone and you don't want those falling into the camera onto the sensor.

Latest effort with mine, needs some stabilization was playing with LUTS here
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: RichWest
Interested to hear what distance people focus their lenses at and also what methods you use, I played around with mine the other week and very quickly learnt the old saying if it ain't broke ............
I've re-done it again and it's possibly the best I've ever had at the moment so won't be messing with it in a hurry after last time :p that said I've also ordered a different lens.

I plug it into a smallish TV and focus on a fence about 22 yds away and then very unscientifically twisted it in the most tiny amount further to move the focus that bit further back as most subjects are going o be 30 yds plus but the last part of it can be very hit or miss.
I've seen some saying they focus at 8 / 10 ft .... surely that's too close???????

Interested to see what works for other people??

Good advice from Witterings on holding the camera upside down when you unscrew the lens. Then a very light spray from a can of compressed air. A single wrap of white plumbers tape makes for a snug fit.

The 3.8 requires that the 3 metal tabs be ground down because it has such a long back focal length. That aside this is definitely my 2nd favorite lens. The image quality is far better than the 5.4 or 4.35. distortion is near zero, no chromatic aberration in the corners and it handles lens flare like champ. Obviously there is pink eye, but that's another story. It appears that this configuration was made with GoPro in mind. As far as minimum order quantity on aliexpress just ask for a sample and they will sell you one.

My fav lens would be the 3.97 due to the plug and play nature, but I'm not paying $200 for a $60 lens.

Also everybody gets these m12 lenses from the same 3 manufacturers.

I am with you, someone will let that 3.97 slip out eventually
until then I am just going to stick with my 4.4

My fav lens would be the 3.97 due to the plug and play nature, but I'm not paying $200 for a $60 lens.

Also everybody gets these m12 lenses from the same 3 manufacturers.

Totally agree with this, I've just ordered one if the 4.2's as I'm not prepared to be held over a barrel by them and although the price has recently dropped from $200 to $140 give it another couple of months and one of the other manufacturers will copy it and it'll be $55 ... and I'll buy it from one of them!!

if they can get that for the lens I don't fault them for it.
One thing about people who do this for a business, is that is just an expense write off.
for the rest of us, paying those prices jut don't justify the return.

Reactions: SurfnSkate81
Has anyone else tried one of the 4.2's, I've ordered one but wondering with the Chinese new year how long it'll take to get here so may be a while yet.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for stabilization software that's doesn't cost an arm and a leg???

Nice find
I got tired of waiting for the pink tinge issue and moved on a Peau 3.97
that lens looks a lot like it.

Reactions: RPM
Reactions: pyrate and RPM
wondered about that.
So do you think this is different than the Peau?
they sure look similar

the design and lens grouping is similar, it has a little more distortion than the 3.97. it has very good image quality. almost as good as stock. it handles lens flare like a champ and no chromatic aberration in the corners. pink eye is still there but because the focal length is closer to stock, the effect is minimized although you can still see it in bright sun against a clear blue sky.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbugg1233