Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

Are there any vids comparing different FOV settings with any of these lens mods. Or are most just shooting wide ?

That's what I figured. But was interested to see some video of the different settings. I haven't found anything online.

Here is a thought.

Take a GoPro to an optometrist and have him make you a "glass" for your lens! LOL. Seriously, shouldn't that work!? They should be able to make a convex (?) Lens that cancels the fisheye out.

Edit: I tried it once with a magnifying glass and it worked just fine. I was able to cancel out the fisheye! [emoji5]

That's what I figured. But was interested to see some video of the different settings. I haven't found anything online.
there is a reason for that.
Why limit yourself now that you made the investment in a lens that no longer needs it.
the only reason I could think you would want to is for the zoom factor. But you get some of that already with the lens, and if you shoot 2.7k or above cropping to a 1080p frame will also provide the ability to zoom, center, pan or crop

Seriously!? No one has anything to say about my idea?! [emoji5] [emoji5] [emoji5]

Here is a thought.

Take a GoPro to an optometrist and have him make you a "glass" for your lens! LOL. Seriously, shouldn't that work!? They should be able to make a convex (?) Lens that cancels the fisheye out.

Edit: I tried it once with a magnifying glass and it worked just fine. I was able to cancel out the fisheye! [emoji5]
That sounds like it would be a lot more expensive to remove fisheye than just replacing the lens to begin with. Also, going through 2 sets of optics will not be as clear as one set. You will lose some image quality/clarity unless you are working with some very high end multicoated glass. You would also need some sort of a really stable mount to keep this new lens perfectly the same distance from the stock lens at all times and never move, or you will lose focus.

That sounds like it would be a lot more expensive to remove fisheye than just replacing the lens to begin with. Also, going through 2 sets of optics will not be as clear as one set. You will lose some image quality/clarity unless you are working with some very high end multicoated glass. You would also need some sort of a really stable mount to keep this new lens perfectly the same distance from the stock lens at all times and never move, or you will lose focus.

You have valid points, for sure. But let me see...

Scenario 1, removing the stock lens:

1. Take lens cover/seal off the GoPro.
2. Unscrew stock lens.
3. Screw new lens in.
4. Focus new lens. Depending on what lens you get, you might have to sand down the GoPro frame. See Franknitty69 mod.
The first three steps are easy. Will void the warranty though. The fourth step is so so. Some might find it easy, some might want to stay clear of sanding their GoPro down.

But even if you did all of those mods, you still have the pink corner problem. Or are there any lenses that don't have pink corners?

To some it up: Costs $100 - $200 (depends on the lens), sanded down GoPro (also depends on the lens), voided warranty. Again, changing the lens might be easy and no problem for some, and it might be the opposite for others.

Scenario 2, keeping the stock lens and adding "glasses":

1. Going to optometrist and saying, "Here, make me a glass for this".
2. Paying $200 dollars.
3. Having someone 3D print you a mount for $50 bucks.
4. Putting glass in GoPro and balancing Gimbal.
5. Done.

Of course using this method will reduce image quality. By how much!? You and I don't know that. Is it worth trying to find out? Too me it is. I need some glasses anyway. So whenever I go in to see the doc, I ask him what he thinks. Maybe it is not even possible for him to do? Maybe it is? Maybe he can make me some sort of contact lens?

I like to think outside the box. [emoji1]

Thanks for the input.

you kind of painted a worst case scenario for changing the lens
Did not have to sand mine
Hero 4 cameras are starting to be out of warranty
I do nothing on my barely visible pink, and love it.

But hey could be interesting to see what you come up with

you kind of painted a worst case scenario for changing the lens
Did not have to sand mine
Hero 4 cameras are starting to be out of warranty
I do nothing on my barely visible pink, and love it.

But hey could be interesting to see what you come up with
Agreed.

Let's see what happens... [emoji5]

I know a lot of people are changing the stock lens. Would it be helpful to have a thread that lists the available replacements and results. Possibly tips and tricks

Just replaced mine with this one
I know the good folks at Peu have some great products too.
Weigh in if you have changed your lens. And what results have you had

Brand New 12MP 4.4mm Rectilinear Lens (no fisheye / distortion) for GoPro Camera

Here is a snip of the lens in flight, shot in 4K wide no post stabilization no filters. And one very wobbly motor pod that will be replaced on Wednesday. I am flying the flat ribbon cable with props and motors balanced
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

THAT'S!!! what I was waiting for. hehe. @ around 3:34. Where you panned the gimbal from down to up. Wanted to see what that looked like. I think I'm going to do as you did. (Edit: Going to wait a bit before purchasing.)Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
yeah i have to give credit to igor88 and frankycro over at rcg. they put me on to the 3.8 and were the first ones to try it. its what i currently fly with since the 3.97 is exclusive to one company. so far i like the 3.8 because of the focal length there isn't any visible pink eye.

THAT'S!!! what I was waiting for. hehe. @ around 3:34. Where you panned the gimbal from down to up. Wanted to see what that looked like. I think I'm going to do as you did. (Edit: Going to wait a bit before purchasing.)Thanks for sharing.
Here is an example for you. Peau 4.35 mm lens. 4K wide. Camera tilts down in first shot.

Just bare in mind this is just a "test" video - edited on an iPhone using iMovie - so the colors are a bit off. Off topic, but what I was actually testing was how well the Solo would do with light snow coming down. Nonetheless, you'll see there are no legs.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: DroneNerd702
yeah i have to give credit to igor88 and frankycro over at rcg. they put me on to the 3.8 and were the first ones to try it. its what i currently fly with since the 3.97 is exclusive to one company. so far i like the 3.8 because of the focal length there isn't any visible pink eye.

Where did you find the 3.8?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks