Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

If you look at that recommended settings thread. I have everything set to the 2.7K 60 except my sharpness is on medium and FOV is wide then down scaled to 1080p.

A note if you are using the polar pro filters. I find the ND8 overpowers the lens and gopro. I have dropped back to the ND4 in bright light and the polarizer in overcast or low light.

Pyrate,

Yeah, I'm not ready for processing 4k stuff at this point but I certainly noticed the clarity and definition in your clip. Thanks for the settings info. I'm doing the same regarding the filters, anything over the ND4 seems to be too much but I got my Peau with that IR cut filter in it.

Jerry

dont fear the 4k
that was processed entirely on a surface pro 3 tablet running a meager I5 processor and 4GB of ram
using only Gopro Studio and Prodrynilin
It takes a little while, but I did the entire thing in 4-5 hours

dont fear the 4k
that was processed entirely on a surface pro 3 tablet running a meager I5 processor and 4GB of ram
using only Gopro Studio and Prodrynilin
It takes a little while, but I did the entire thing in 4-5 hours

Pyrate,

That's because you're a professional! I'm not, I want to go fly my butt off, take the SD card out and copy the file, throw it up on the big screen and say "Wow, that looks cool!". :)

Jerry

Reactions: RichWest
Looks like Peau has a new no distortion lens.
3.97mm f/2.8 82d HFOV 16MP $200

I can't seem to source this other than Peau.
Anybody have a 3rd party on this?

Reactions: J R
couldn't find one
if it is truly better on flaring it is worth a look
I noticed in the demo reel it seemed to be better but also they cut some shots where the flare was just coming into view
going to wait a while before I jump on that bandwagon
I am still really liking my 4.4

the lens I have will fit in the water proof housing, the 5.4 will not from my understanding.
I am going to try a trick on the pink. You take a video pointed at an all white surface.
This will reveal the pink. Now use that as an adjustment layer in PP to remove the pink

I feel pretty comfortable I could return mine to stock if I needed to

Pyrate,

I thought I'd let you know that I just installed the new 3.97mm 16MP Peau Lens in one of my GPH4B's. Haven't really got a chance to focus it yet but will hopefully do so this weekend. Not sure if I'll get to fly with it until it warms up a little.

Jerry

Pyrate,

Question for you. Peau sent a rubber washer to hold the lens in place once it's in focus but I'd really have to crank on it to use it. I was thinking about leaving it off as I want to be able to switch between the 4.4 and the 3.97 if I choose. What do you think about using a tiny dab of either silicone or maybe a very small dot of blue Loctite on the lens threads to keep it in place but still make it easy to remove?

Jerry

Pyrate,

Question for you. Peau sent a rubber washer to hold the lens in place once it's in focus but I'd really have to crank on it to use it. I was thinking about leaving it off as I want to be able to switch between the 4.4 and the 3.97 if I choose. What do you think about using a tiny dab of either silicone or maybe a very small dot of blue Loctite on the lens threads to keep it in place but still make it easy to remove?

Jerry
I think a small dab of lock tight should be ok. Also, once you focus get a silver sharpie (shows up good on black) and put a line on the side of the lens and a corresponding line on the side of the GoPro ring. Then you'll know if its moved off focus a little. Could use one color for one lens another color for the other. Just a thought. Was what I was going to do, had I not sent to them to install.

Reactions: J R
not sure how snug yours is, is it the same as the 4.4 you had?
Mine has no glue or rings on it at all. I had heard rings could put pressure on the lens making it not sit straight. What I did since mine seemed pretty tight, was take a very small detail paint brush and put a dot at 3 oclock and 6 oclock on the inside of the cover ring and the outside rim of the lens when focused.

It has not budged

not sure how snug yours is, is it the same as the 4.4 you had?
Mine has no glue or rings on it at all. I had heard rings could put pressure on the lens making it not sit straight. What I did since mine seemed pretty tight, was take a very small detail paint brush and put a dot at 3 oclock and 6 oclock on the inside of the cover ring and the outside rim of the lens when focused.

It has not budged

Pyrate,

It's about the same as the 4.4 but daily use could move it slightly. What did you use for the "dot"? A dot of what?

Thanks,

Jerry

white paint, very very small brush
I do airbrush artwork too kind of, so I have detail brushes laying about

that 3.97 lens sounds interesting

It's gotten cold where I'm at. Weather has been nice the last week since my solo arrived. But of course on my days off, it's been raining. Hoping to get solo in the air Sunday. Winter fast approaching. If I like my 4.3, I've considered sending my other GoPro in for the 3.97.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This might help.

I have a question, Sorry if already answered.

So, No fisheye with the right lens, but must ether compensate adding Lens/Filter or Hack "Internal Gopro settings" to fix the Pink conner/ Flairs problems?

Any/All magnification Via any lens, will increase Vibration in video?

I can doing most of the benefits that these lens with POST processing.

Post Solution for Repair:

Repair the "Fish Eye effect"
Most good video editors already have this feature.
GoPro Studio has this option. Can fine tune in Video editor, if needed.

Zoom effect: Also doable in all video editors.
Take Video in 4K, then you can Zoom in as much as you like, Save vid out to 2.7K or lower.

Question is, So why spend extra hundreds of dollars?
Time really isn't a issue, were only talking about minutes to this this in post.
We all work so hard to reduce video vibration, just to re-introduce it again via a new lens?

I must be missing something here?

So, No fisheye with the right lens, but must ether compensate adding Lens/Filter or Hack "Internal Gopro settings" to fix the Pink conner/ Flairs problems?

Take Video in 4K, then you can Zoom in as much as you like, Save vid out to 2.7K or lower.

Time really isn't a issue, were only talking about minutes to this this in post.
We all work so hard to reduce video vibration, just to re-introduce it again via a new lens?

But if you want 4K you'll have props and legs in many shots because the only field of view is Wide with 4K. . If you swap the lens that won't be an issue anymore.

I guess it's really just a preference. I've been going back and forth. I use Adobe Premiere 2015 CC which has a setting to remove various gopro models fisheye effect. Very minimal processing time. Sometimes I do like the effect though, and also how wide the FOV is on the stock gopro. It really takes in a lot. I shoot exclusively in 4k and rarely get a prop/leg in. I've just learned to fly slower, and the video is quite smooth too. Warp stabilizer when needed, but not really that often. I find I need it more often when speeding up video as the bird doesn't exactly travel in perfectly straight lines which become more apparent when speeding things up 8 or 16x. Yes, it's easy to crop the occasional prop/leg out too, and if you are shooting 4k you have the extra pixels to make it very unnoticeable.

Although, the argument that native "non-fisheye" and not having to crop in post is a good one. The less actual processing you have to do, the higher quality video will be preserved better. You just lose quite a bit of FOV with non stock, but a higher image quality (usually).

You are, post process lens correction will degrade picture quality. you have to stretch and condense the image no matter what if you remove in post.
nothing wrong with doing it that way, but IQ will never be quite as good if you shoot it right the first time,

Also it is a step in post processing, and doing this removes that step. you can go right to editing and color grading

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44