Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

I am missing a screw from my battery bay though now that you bring up that eyesight thing
Didn't take my GoPro apart to change the lens

I had the profile removed by Peau. Highly recommend. I would avoid the super mount. The Polar Pro still fit the modified lens although they did send me a set of their own filters, I just haven't used those yet. I will say that Peau has been amazing to work with.
Awesome video!

I'm about to place my order from Peau after following this thread for the past weeks. You mention that the Polar Pro fit the modified lens...can you elaborate? I have the ND from Polar Pro from this set Polar Pro Frame 2.0-FPV Quadcopter Filter 3-Pack for GoPro P3001 and I just wanted to know how you mounted it. Also, did you have to counter-weigh it on the gimbal??

Awesome video!

I'm about to place my order from Peau after following this thread for the past weeks. You mention that the Polar Pro fit the modified lens...can you elaborate? I have the ND from Polar Pro from this set Polar Pro Frame 2.0-FPV Quadcopter Filter 3-Pack for GoPro P3001 and I just wanted to know how you mounted it. Also, did you have to counter-weigh it on the gimbal??

If you go onto his website. He has a video of how he installs the new lens. He does t without removing the stick ring. And the 4.35mm lens fits like the stick lens does (doesn't stick out). So you can still use the pilot pro filter.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This just in, I will be working to help add the 4.4 12 MP profile to prodrynilin and mercalli
since I will have that capability I may add a couple more lenses to the arsenal. I have a 3 black that could use a new lens too

This just in, I will be working to help add the 4.4 12 MP profile to prodrynilin and mercalli
since I will have that capability I may add a couple more lenses to the arsenal. I have a 3 black that could use a new lens too
Wow that's cool, I've got Mercalli as part of my workflow now, so I look forward to specific lens profiles.

I am watching ebay to pick up some more common lenses. 5.4 4.33 etc
since I am going to have the capability might as well try and help out with other lenses. Should be fun.
Pretty sure the 4.4 12MP will be the one I keep for shooting though.
Love it so far.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I've found the 4.4 to be good. If I could have the same look with less flare it would be perfect.

Reactions: pyrate
yea that is my only complaint on the 4.4
Going to try the double IR Cut filter to see if it helps

One of the guys on the Facebook group has fastened on the round ND filters Back-bone sell, which is clever as they're light weight, I don't know how he's attached them on, I was wondering if heat shrink on the end of the lens might be a solution..?

I think I'll end up buying the Ribcage Air as I think you can drop in an ND on that, so I'll just go with a low power ND.

Yes he listed his heat shrink size, I am going to give it a go
what do you have to lose for 20 bucks in filters and a little heat shrink
I will let you know how it goes

Been curious if the 4.3 Peu flares as much. I love the quality of th 4.4

Ah, I must have missed the reply, either that or I was half asleep when I read it. I agree, it's worth a try.

I have dialed in my work flow and so far I am really liking 4K wide.
Should have tried your LUT, will give it a try on this when I get home.

I found out one thing during this last processing. Have to wonder how many people are seeing video stutter because of the machine or connection they are watching video on.
When I did this one it looked so smooth at home.
Got to work and man its jumpy and I am thinking oh no. But if you pick a section that is jumpy and play it over and over you see the jumpiness is not in the video its in the playback

I found out one thing during this last processing. Have to wonder how many people are seeing video stutter because of the machine or connection they are watching video on.
When I did this one it looked so smooth at home.
Got to work and man its jumpy and I am thinking oh no. But if you pick a section that is jumpy and play it over and over you see the jumpiness is not in the video its in the playback
Great suggestion and I have to agree based on my experiences as well. Your suggestion to play back and forth reveals its the delivery/processing rather than the actual video...great tip! Jublar suggested Vimeo, my test footage appeared better there than at YT's 1080, even at a lower 720 resolution...smoother.

That clip above is buttery smooth at home on several devices
but I have a big fat FIOS data line going into my house
here at work not so much and it looks jumpy. I know that has to be delivery

Have to wonder how many people are seeing video stutter because of the machine or connection they are watching video on.

Pyrate,

That's the issue I have with only 10mps internet here in the boonies. I usually have to let it play through a few times than it smooth's out. Pretty good looking video to me. Are you using 2.7k, 60fps? What are your GP settings shooting this video?

Jerry

Reactions: pyrate
Pyrate,

That's the issue I have with only 10mps internet here in the boonies. I usually have to let it play through a few times than it smooth's out. Pretty good looking video to me. Are you using 2.7k, 60fps? What are your GP settings shooting this video?

Jerry

Was playing around with my new lens, this one was actually shot using 4K wide 30 FPS
Never really gave much to the added detail when down scaled to 1080P. but take a close look at some of the rocky areas and towards the end the dude walking across the parking lot.
Even far away the cars are pretty detailed and sharp. Unless I am looking to do slow motion or need zooming this may be my new go to setting.

If you look at that recommended settings thread. I have everything set to the 2.7K 60 except my sharpness is on medium and FOV is wide.
then down scaled to 1080p

A note if you are using the polar pro filters. I find the ND8 overpowers the lens and gopro. I have dropped back to the ND4 in bright light and the polarizer in overcast or low light.

Reactions: J R
Heres a quick test I did today with Peau modded Go Pro 4 Black with 5.4mm lense + ND8 filter. Balanced props, hubs and balanced gimbal (added weights to side and back). Just colored in post. Captured @ 2.7K/60fps No post stabilization. I like the results so far.

Everything looks soft or out of focus. Is that normal?

Was playing around with my new lens, this one was actually shot using 4K wide 30 FPS
Never really gave much to the added detail when down scaled to 1080P. but take a close look at some of the rocky areas and towards the end the dude walking across the parking lot.
Even far away the cars are pretty detailed and sharp. Unless I am looking to do slow motion or need zooming this may be my new go to setting.

If you look at that recommended settings thread. I have everything set to the 2.7K 60 except my sharpness is on medium and FOV is wide.
then down scaled to 1080p

A note if you are using the polar pro filters. I find the ND8 overpowers the lens and gopro. I have dropped back to the ND4 in bright light and the polarizer in overcast or low light.

My solo arrived today. Looking forward to testing. My Peau GoPro came back last week. Looking forward to testing out 4K wide on it. I generally like higher frame rates, but I've read 4K and even 2k scaled down to 1080p will achieve better results then filming in 1080. I don't usually crop my video, but simply have a 1080p time line and scale the whole video to fit in frame. Can't wait to post some tests.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
well the fun thing with 2.7 and 4K video is you can do both
scaled down will give you very fine micro details
but if you need to zoom you can crop the 4K footage and still not loose HD quality
try this for fun
Take a sequence and scale it two fit your 1080p timeline
keyframe that
now go ahead 60 frames and scale to 75%
keframe again
then go ahead another 60 frames
scale to 50

then play it back
instant dolly in space

Reactions: Troiano27

Members online

No members online now.