Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

Thanks for the kind words. I'm working on it!
GP - 4K/30 Protune flat, sharpness low, PolarPro +8ND
Post - MacPro Tower, FCPX, Crumplepop Finisher for sharpening, Color Graded with built in plugins
Edited on a 1920x1080 timeline. Outputted a master for Vimeo upload.

GP - 4K/30 Protune flat, sharpness low, PolarPro +8ND
Post - MacPro Tower, FCPX, Crumplepop Finisher for sharpening, Color Graded with built in plugins
Edited on a 1920x1080 timeline. Outputted a master for Vimeo upload.

Have you experience any of the pink corners? I've been looking at sending my camera to them to have the lens installed. Wondering if having them remove the lens profile is necessary or not? Did you get the supermount or just use the stock lens mount? Do filters like the polar pro's still work once the lens has been swapped out?

Mr,

You sure are. Thanks for the info. Mostly greek to me at this point. I'm much better educated on the flying and tinkering side of things. I've got a long way to go on the photographic end. Just trying to learn as much as I can. Hopefully, the more I read, the more I'll soak in.

Jerry

Have you experience any of the pink corners? I've been looking at sending my camera to them to have the lens installed. Wondering if having them remove the lens profile is necessary or not? Did you get the supermount or just use the stock lens mount? Do filters like the polar pro's still work once the lens has been swapped out?

I had the profile removed by Peau. Highly recommend. I would avoid the super mount. The Polar Pro still fit the modified lens although they did send me a set of their own filters, I just haven't used those yet. I will say that Peau has been amazing to work with.

Okay, here's the test clips with the 4.4mm lens and a PL filter. Other filters made things worse. Notice the quick change in colors and the blue dot and reflections. Everything was cleaned prior to making these clips. It was a little windy but a nice bright morning. Have a new Peau 4.3mm on order, will test when I receive it.

Jerry

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I know a lot of pilots like the polarizer filters, but look at how the polarized part of the sky looks... very un-natural. Looks like a blue blob floating. I bought a set of Polar Pro filters some of which are polarized, but personally don't like the results.

@pyrate ,

Here is a video I shot a couple of months ago after getting the 4.35 from Peau. No correction for the pink in the corners. I don't think it is all that bad, and could be improved with a little post work.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Does this lens have the ir cut filter or no filter? Don't know enough to know if I need ir cut or not.

I did not use a polarizer. an ND. Big difference. The sky looks blue like that because it was blue l
I know a lot of pilots like the polarizer filters, but look at how the polarized part of the sky looks... very un-natural. Looks like a blue blob floating. I bought a set of Polar Pro filters some of which are polarized, but personally don't like the results.

I did not use a polarizer. an ND. Big difference. The sky looks blue like that because it was blue like that. I respectfully disagree 100% about your observation on the sky.

Han,

Yeah, you've got to take my test clips with a grain (pound) of salt. Unlike many of the folks around here like mistergreen, I know absolutely nothing about good photography. I feel a bit dumb around some of these guys but it's the only way I'll learn. I'm hoping my GPH4B with the Peau magic will give me a tiny leg up in processing work. I've got 12 different filters around here already but don't ask me which one to use or why! I can fly fairly well, now it's time for me to learn how to produce a halfway decent clip.

Jerry

I did not use a polarizer. an ND. Big difference. The sky looks blue like that because it was blue l
I did not use a polarizer. an ND. Big difference. The sky looks blue like that because it was blue like that. I respectfully disagree 100% about your observation on the sky.

Mr,

Han was talking about a dumb little test clip I did earlier in the thread, not yours. I don't think anyone here is going to bitch about the color of the sky in your clip!

Jerry

Mr,

Han was talking about a dumb little test clip I did earlier in the thread, not yours. I don't think anyone here is going to bitch about the color of the sky in your clip!

Jerry

Gotcha. I'm a little late to the party.

No criticism here, just an observation. I saw the same affect using pola filter...big blue blob 180 away from where the sun is. Once I saw that, I have only used ND filters.

I hear a lot of people shooting ND8 but man that thing is dark
more luck with the polarizer and nd4

Decided to bite the bullet. Just packed my hero4 black up and shipping to Peau Productions. Was only $80 more to have them remove, install and "professionally focus" a 4.35mm lens. They'll also remove the lens profile from the camera. Had I bought the lens, had them ship to me, I do the install and focus. Then I pack up the camera, ship to them, have them remove lens profile, then ship back, would have saved me $80, but taken time. So,what the heck. Looking forward to getting in back in a couple weeks.

Decided to bite the bullet. Just packed my hero4 black up and shipping to Peau Productions. Was only $80 more to have them remove, install and "professionally focus" a 4.35mm lens. They'll also remove the lens profile from the camera. Had I bought the lens, had them ship to me, I do the install and focus. Then I pack up the camera, ship to them, have them remove lens profile, then ship back, would have saved me $80, but taken time. So,what the heck. Looking forward to getting in back in a couple weeks.

I think you are making a good call.

Decided to bite the bullet. Just packed my hero4 black up and shipping to Peau Productions.

Tro,

Very good call. I've got a new GPH4B on it's way from Peau as well. I did the lens change on my other GPH4B and it was not fun for this old man. A real PITA. I wouldn't do it again. I think you made a great call!

Jerry

I always worry about modifying my cameras. Screwed up my GP1 way back when. So was happy to pay for someone else to do it. been reading rumor sits about the GP5. I'll end up with one of those when they come out, if what I'm reading is true.

Looking forward to wide view without fisheye. In all honesty, I could still see me filming in 2.7k 60fps, but instead of medium view, wide view with the new lens. Just like the higher frame rate for flying. Who knows, I have a 4K tv, so maybe I'll enjoy watching some edits in 4K.

Me at 58, dealing with screws the size of pinheads is no longer part of my repertoire. Nowaday's a 1/4" bolt on a V-Twin is about my limit. ;)

Jerry
we are the exact same age, don't give in man fight the good fight LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40