Dark bars in video?

Twd

Reaction score
I'm seeing transparent but visible dark horizontal bars scrolling downward in footage when my GPH 4 Black is pointing in a certain direction relative to the sun. Is there a name for this phenomenon and is it common? I've read that a sunshade helps but then I've also read that using an ND filter will help. From what I can tell if you use a Snake River BlurFix ND filter that precludes using the sunshade.

I'm seeing transparent but visible dark horizontal bars scrolling downward in footage when my GPH 4 Black is pointing in a certain direction relative to the sun. Is there a name for this phenomenon and is it common? I've read that a sunshade helps but then I've also read that using an ND filter will help. From what I can tell if you use a Snake River BlurFix ND filter that precludes using the sunshade.
It's called prop wash. It is a long story, but is basically caused when the sun passes through the props onto the lens. The easiest wat to get rid of it is to tilt the camera a little lower, and/or change the angle of the lens to the sun a bit. More narrow lenses also obviously reduce it.

If you need the angles though and have it with your lens, shades, ND filters, and polarisers (other filters) all can help, and are not mutually exclusive to each other, or the other remedies.

30mm External Filters : Peau Productions - Store

The filters I use each have male and female threads on them, so you can stack filters as needed. My standard setup has a hood (that the first filter screws into) an ND filter (ND 2, 4, or 8 depending on the light level) and a CP (Circular Polarizer). I also have narrower lenses (5.4 and now 4.3) but between it all, I have never seen prop wash on my Solo.

Reactions: Twd

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc