Crash into ocean :-(

It was only in about 20 feet of water depending on the tide but still too deep for me to free dive for it

lake diving yuck

I lost a small outboard boat motor in about 20-25 feet of water in a Vermont lake last summer, and I haven't been able to find it yet. It's like diving in pea soup! You literally can't see more than 3-4 feet. Still more fun than siting on the dock!

I think it is needed and my hat is off to the people who do it.
Cut my diving teeth in 200 foot visibility of the clear blue waters of Cozumel. Went lake diving once and could literally not see 5 feet. I got out and rinced my gear and said never again.

I think you have to have learned to dive in those conditions to not mind it. I've been to the Bahamas a few times and I can see how pea soup could be unenjoyable if all you've known is 100+ foot visibility. I joked to my dive buddy who helped search for the motor that there were better dives, but worse ways to spend an afternoon.

Reactions: RichWest
Takes too long to clean gear for a pea soup dive
at least for me, if I am going to go through all the hassle of cleaning and stowing gear it better be a dang good dive. But like you say it is can be what you are used to.

If this makes you feel any better

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Rkg, great adventure, I'm amazed divers found solo or was it easy going straight down from last gps position? I fly over water most of the time so this video freaked me out. I can see doing the exact same thing myself but no way to send in dive crew! Ps was video taken in gig harbor? I think you may be a neighbor!

It's saying the video has been removed, but from what I remember, it looked like he flew into a piling sticking out of the water, so it would have probably fallen pretty close to straight down. Even in murky water, it wouldn't be that hard to find something with such a known general location.

Rkg, great adventure, I'm amazed divers found solo or was it easy going straight down from last gps position? I fly over water most of the time so this video freaked me out. I can see doing the exact same thing myself but no way to send in dive crew! Ps was video taken in gig harbor? I think you may be a neighbor!
Yes Gig Harbor and I hit a pole so I knew right where it was and it wasn't very deep.
Here is a better video of that day without the crash
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi guys,
Received the 3DR log reports and yep I got the news I was not hoping for. Pilot error - no replacement. I was very satisfied with the customer service and I take full responsibility for the crash. Unfortunately I have also lost the GoPro. I've had it in rice for 2 weeks now and attempted to turn it on to just see flashing power light. :-(
Naturally I am just getting over the grieving stages and am now looking for the best deal on another Solo and GoPro. I have gone back to the retailer and told them of my circumstance and asked them if they could give me their best price on another Solo - however no response. Shame because I was happy with their service. I am not sure if 3DR would be interested in giving me some sought of discount, somehow I doubt it.
Seeing that the release of Phantom 4 and the long awaited GoPro Karma drone (apparently coming out this financial year) I am wondering if I should hold out to see what happens to the price of Solo... has anyone got any thoughts on the GoPro Karma? I have been keeping my eye on GoPro and all they say is it should be out (along with the GoPro 5) in May/June. By the way I am in Australia if anyone knows of good deals on Solo/GoPro
Thanks for your comments everyone.

I just got my solo from riseabove just out of sydney. they matched the written quote from harvey norman commercial division no problems. not 100% sure if I would outrightly recommend them just yet, but they seemed to be the best one of the bunch on research I have done prior to getting it.

Very nice RKG. Next time you're going underwater or underground to fly solo I'd like to tag along! Will carry the go pro accessory bag or whatever! One question: If you are flying in manual over water and you lose wireless signal are you not SOL? That's the main reason I seldom fly manual because I assume if you lose wireless signal with no gps enabled RTH it's Davy Jones locker...also the optical readers on other birds are useless over water, right? Thanks everybody.

Very nice RKG. Next time you're going underwater or underground to fly solo I'd like to tag along! Will carry the go pro accessory bag or whatever! One question: If you are flying in manual over water and you lose wireless signal are you not SOL? That's the main reason I seldom fly manual because I assume if you lose wireless signal with no gps enabled RTH it's Davy Jones locker...also the optical readers on other birds are useless over water, right? Thanks everybody.
Flying in Manual has nothing to do with the safety systems on Solo. Low battery & loss of signal will still trigger RTH. Manual mode just means that you CHOOSE not to use GPS while in that mode. GPS is still being tracked and acquired all the time. That is why you can easily switch between modes at any time. Unless I am in a smart shot, I am always in Manual or Stabilize modes. It's just more fun that way.

Thanks Chardia, I will give them a ring.
Also found that go outdoors were fairly good to talk to.

I just got my solo from riseabove just out of sydney. they matched the written quote from harvey norman commercial division no problems. not 100% sure if I would outrightly recommend them just yet, but they seemed to be the best one of the bunch on research I have done prior to getting it.
I just got my solo from riseabove just out of sydney. they matched the written quote from harvey norman commercial division no problems. not 100% sure if I would outrightly recommend them just yet, but they seemed to be the best one of the bunch on research I have done prior to getting it.[/Q

Stories like this are a good reason to get insurance for your Solo. I bought a annual policy from State Farm with a $50.00 deductible that covers the Solo and everything on it for $60.00. Makes flying over water a little less tense.

Last edited:
You should wash it down with alcohol when that happens and not just water.
And if possible ASAP as the salt indeed will damage the circuits.

RKGmedia, that is exactly what happened to the fate of my solo. Was using cable cam getting some mates surfing. Got over confident with the second battery and went fly mode and way too close to the waves...No insurance.. But I will insure the next absolutely.
Also for those who think I put in a ticket to 3dr to just to try and get a replacement - I did not. The crash happened so quick, I just wanted to be sure and get confirmation. I take full responsibility for bad piloting. Thanks everyone.

Stories like this are a good reason to get insurance for your Solo. I bought a annual policy from State Farm with a $50.00 deductible that covers the Solo and everything on it for $60.00. Make flying over water a little less tense.

State Farm has a drone insurance that cost $60 per year?

I'm in oz, but still have to do some research on insurance .

State Farm has a drone insurance that cost $60 per year?
Yes, It is a Personal Article Policy or some such. They asked for the serial number of the Drone and receipts for it and everything attached to it. I listed the GP, filters, feet, gimbal balance kit. The cost is about $2.30 per $100 but they have a $60 minimum. So you could insure a $2500 rig for the same amount.

So if it goes down it will have cost $110 considering the $50 deductible. It takes much of the worry away from flying over water or losing a motor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado