Brand new out of the box crashes itself immediately

Not sure what you mean by zero quality assurance. If you haven't already, contact 3DR customer support. They will guide you through the process of getting you sorted out.
Don't stress. They shine in the CS department and there are multiple documented instances here on the forum of when Solos crashed due to equipment failure, they cover it with a replacement. Call them up. You can straight from the app.

Reactions: Maddog
So my dad got a solo and I helped him set it up. We updated the software then calibrated the drone.

Alls well. Changed the password and wifi stuff etc.. Now it's ready to fly.

Take it out back finds 13 satellites, hold the fly button all the propellers fire up fine. Fly button again BOOOOMMMM

it just flips right over and freaks out..

OK I dust it off. Let me restart it and try again..

This time it actually gets a bit of air, but I immediately don't have any control over it and it just floats off and then BOOM flips again this time destroying the propellers and damaging the battery.

Like there is zero quality assurance. I'm guessing all I can do is send it back? Anyone had this problem and was able to fix it themselves?
Sorry to hear about your problem! But make sure you send a ticket in !! That's what 3DR needs to evaluate and determine what went wrong !! Then they will be able to guide you have to fix it! And if it can't be fix do to a faulty Solo then they will sent you an RMA and more then likely replace your solo!! And also replace everything that was damaged if any :)

Good luck

Cheers

So my dad got a solo and I helped him set it up. We updated the software then calibrated the drone.

Alls well. Changed the password and wifi stuff etc.. Now it's ready to fly.

Take it out back finds 13 satellites, hold the fly button all the propellers fire up fine. Fly button again BOOOOMMMM

it just flips right over and freaks out..

OK I dust it off. Let me restart it and try again..

This time it actually gets a bit of air, but I immediately don't have any control over it and it just floats off and then BOOM flips again this time destroying the propellers and damaging the battery.

Like there is zero quality assurance. I'm guessing all I can do is send it back? Anyone had this problem and was able to fix it themselves?
A little more detail would be helpful if you want to find out what's wrong - "BOOOMMM" doesn't really tell us much!

I've got one. Love my solo it worked fine out of the box. My dad's was shipped straight from china or wherever the hell they build them.

I'm inclined to just tear into the thing myself. Probably something stupid simple like a connector not seated properly.
Just annoys me to no end considering the cost of these things. All they had to do was plug it in and test it and they'd have seen it didn't work. Basic QC. Something tells me they had a rush order and just QC went out the window. I'm going to stop recommending the solo to people till another version comes out.
Sorry to hear about your incident. Post the log here if you get a chance. Remember, there are no products that are 100%, from Mercedes, to 3DR to DJI. Personally, when I build or buy a multirotor or even after doing any modifications and especially if I am helping someone with theirs I will power up and take it through it's paces without props. You can watch the motors power and change RPMs as you move the sticks and know pretty well if all is as it should be. Maybe next time?

Last edited:
Reactions: Slawth
Mine flipped twice on takeoff right out of the box. Broke all 8 included props. Filed a ticket with 3dr, they gave me stick calibration instructions which fixed it, but they did not replace the props :/

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Mine flipped twice on takeoff right out of the box. Broke all 8 included props. Filed a ticket with 3dr, they gave me stick calibration instructions which fixed it, but they did not replace the props :/

What did they say when you ask them if they would replace your Props..?

Cheers

What did they say when you ask them if they would replace your Props..?

Cheers
I wouldn't, and didn't ask them to replace them. Seems greedy, kinda scummy. Don't you think?

I don't think that's greedy, considering that's $60 worth of props. It should have worked out of the box after upgrading the software and charging the batteries as per the instructions. There is no stick calibration step in the setup process. It shouldn't be necessary. It was defective and damage was done.

Reactions: Maddog
I wouldn't, and didn't ask them to replace them. Seems greedy, kinda scummy. Don't you think? /QUOTE]

Mach,

I'm with Steve on this one. Sounds like the bird came out of the factory with bad QC. I'd be asking for the props, maybe a whole new bird depending on its condition from the flips. JMHO.

Jerry

Ya I guess you guys are right. Too late now I suppose. All the broke were the props. I'm a seasoned fpv pilot, so I know how to fly really well in full manual control. The first time it happened I had a feeling what was up, the second time I knew it, it was way out of trim. Anyway, I'm sorry I brought it up. I see a lot of negativity about the solo and 3dr lately, but I love mine. I can't wait till we get better weather here so I can play with Tower and more advanced features. We're about to get hit with a blizzard here on long Island tonight and tomorrow and Sunday though. If I can get out and it stops snowing, I will hopefully find a wide open area and launch from the roof of my car for some coverage.

Where did you purchase from? If its a local store you have the 30 day money back guarantee. Just go swap it out yourself. If ordered from 3DR I would do a return and just re-purchase rather than them sending you a replacement.

I am in the RMA process myself but they agreed to ship out a brand new bundle package for me as they don't have replacement bundles in the service shop.

Ya I guess you guys are right. Too late now I suppose. All the broke were the props. I'm a seasoned fpv pilot, so I know how to fly really well in full manual control. The first time it happened I had a feeling what was up, the second time I knew it, it was way out of trim. Anyway, I'm sorry I brought it up. I see a lot of negativity about the solo and 3dr lately, but I love mine. I can't wait till we get better weather here so I can play with Tower and more advanced features. We're about to get hit with a blizzard here on long Island tonight and tomorrow and Sunday though. If I can get out and it stops snowing, I will hopefully find a wide open area and launch from the roof of my car for some coverage.

Roof of car might throw a mag interference alert at you. Put a cardboard box on the roof of your car and launch from that. For landing in snow, I suggest a yoga mat - or cardboard (but the cardboard will get wet so it's kinda a one time solution).

Sorry to go off topic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo