Brand new out of the box crashes itself immediately

Ya I guess you guys are right. Too late now I suppose. All the broke were the props. I'm a seasoned fpv pilot, so I know how to fly really well in full manual control. The first time it happened I had a feeling what was up, the second time I knew it, it was way out of trim. Anyway, I'm sorry I brought it up. I see a lot of negativity about the solo and 3dr lately, but I love mine. I can't wait till we get better weather here so I can play with Tower and more advanced features. We're about to get hit with a blizzard here on long Island tonight and tomorrow and Sunday though. If I can get out and it stops snowing, I will hopefully find a wide open area and launch from the roof of my car for some coverage.

@MachWun you wont see much of that negativity here, all those people are on the RCGroups "owners" thread, and I use that term loosely as many of them aren't owners, they are just haters doing what they do best.

Now get out there and show us some snowy footage. Remember half the world is in summer right now and the winter footage that is turning up here is bloody amazing. It may seem bleak and white to you, but the nearest snow to me is 3000km away, so I love flying in the snow vicariously.
Unfortunately you cant actually take off from your car roof, the metal will give you magnetic sensor errors, been there tried that. (EDIT, I see Erik was typing at the same time as me)

SSH is Secure SHell. Its what you need to log into a Linux system. It's text based and command driven (like DOS before Windows/Macs)

I'm definitely not an expert but I wouldn't launch off of my car at all. I just throw a few car mats or a large doormat in my car and launch off of that on top of the snow, away from my car. I may be too cautious but I stay away from all metals when I take off or land.

Erik, I am asking because I never thought it would, will a piece of cardboard really help?

Jerry

I'm definitely not an expert but I wouldn't launch off of my car at all. I just throw a few car mats or a large doormat in my car and launch off of that on top of the snow, away from my car. I may be too cautious but I stay away from all metals when I take off or land.

Erik, I am asking because I never thought it would, will a piece of cardboard really help?

Jerry
Jerry- I don't think cardboard will help. Solo is pretty sensitive to mag interference so I think it would "see" through the cardboard or pick up some metal just beyond the cardboard.

Next time I go out I'll put a piece in the bed of my pickup and see what happens. Actually I hope it works because there have been times when I would have liked to launch from there- instead of the dreg I was parked in.:cool:

P.S.- good to have you back Jerry!

Reactions: J R
Jerry- I don't think cardboard will help. Solo is pretty sensitive to mag interference so I think it would "see" through the cardboard or pick up some metal just beyond the cardboard.

Next time I go out I'll put a piece in the bed of my pickup and see what happens. Actually I hope it works because there have been times when I would have liked to launch from there- instead of the dreg I was parked in.:cool:

LOL. Not just a piece of cardboard... a cardboard BOX. I've done this quite often actually. You just need a foot or more of space between the roof of the car and the Solo. You can use a Solo backpack as well. The influence of electromagnetic interference decreases rapidly with distance. Inverse square law.

For landing in snow, a flat piece of cardboard, but for taking off from a car roof, a cardboard BOX.

If you launch from the bed of a pickup, with metal on all sides, you might have a bit of trouble, but probably will be fine. Just get a bigger box, or launch from the roof. Probably best not to launch from the hood though. Not flat enough, and lots of metal and the battery beneath. (Although I've launched from the hood of a Range Rover).

The roof is the best. Just a thin sheet of metal with a big void of air beneath. Won't cause much interference if you use a cardboard box to get some distance from the metal. Or even an upside down (plastic) trash can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog and J R
LOL. Not just a piece of cardboard... a cardboard BOX. I've done this quite often actually. You just need a foot or more of space between the roof of the car and the Solo. You can use a Solo backpack as well. The influence of electromagnetic interference decreases rapidly with distance. Inverse square law.

For landing in snow, a flat piece of cardboard, but for taking off from a car roof, a cardboard BOX.

If you launch from the bed of a pickup, with metal on all sides, you might have a bit of trouble, but probably will be fine. Just get a bigger box, or launch from the roof. Probably best not to launch from the hood though. Not flat enough, and lots of metal and the battery beneath. (Although I've launched from the hood of a Range Rover).

The roof is the best. Just a thin sheet of metal with a big void of air beneath. Won't cause much interference if you use a cardboard box to get some distance from the metal. Or even an upside down (plastic) trash can.
Oops, my bad! I misread your post- okay I'll try a box and see what happens.

FYI I tried landing in the bed of my truck once. FAILED, the wind disturbance it makes in the bed is gonna nearly impossible to land in that small of a place. I crashed it.

Maybe if you place a box that is the same height as the bed.

Either way, I hope you have extra props. That little stunt broke 3 props and grounded me for a week while I waited for the replacement props. Not to mention the embarrassment when I was trying to show of in front of strangers.

Reactions: Maddog
FYI I tried landing in the bed of my truck once. FAILED, the wind disturbance it makes in the bed is gonna nearly impossible to land in that small of a place. I crashed it.

Maybe if you place a box that is the same height as the bed.

Either way, I hope you have extra props. That little stunt broke 3 props and grounded me for a week while I waited for the replacement props. Not to mention the embarrassment when I was trying to show of in front of strangers.
Thanks! I hadn't considered all the turbulence created by Solo.

So, maybe I'll just forget about that idea. Not really necessary but I thought it might be handy/ cool on occasion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela