Attention - All ‘Down Under' Solo Pilots, BRAND NEW BATTERIES! - ( Sealed in original Retail Packaging. )

Mike,

Yeah I know - I'm Tracking your delivery with as much anticipatation as you, believe you me!

Another four Batteries?
Of course - No problem!

I'll set aside another four specifically for you, and keep them aside - until you've had enough time to evaluate the first four Batteries to your satisfaction.

I'll then send you these next Batteries, once you've shared all of your 'happiness' extensively - and in detail - with the Forum...
(c;=

I'm just gagging for you to get these first four Batteries already!

CarlPhoto,

Mate, thanks for reaching out on so many fronts - and on so many fronts 'all at the same time' as well!

Yep, I've still got quite a few Batteries available - and as you mentioned within your PM to me, you've also made it clear that you're located up in Sydney.

As luck would have it, I'll be up in Sydney for four days as of this coming Thursday.
( I'll be driving up from Melbourne as of Wednesday late-morning/early-afternoon... )

I'll bring a completely sealed box-of-four Batteries up for you, without hesitation - as this will save you the headache of both having to pay for Shipping, as well as then having to wait for them to arrive to boot...
( At this rate @Mike Boland, Carl will probably end up getting his first! )

I've just replied to your PM with my Mobile Number.

Give me a quick-call the first free second you have, so we can organise a 3D catch-up for exchange, while I'm up in your Neck-of-the-Woods.

I s'pose it wouldn't hurt to additionally ask any of the other Pilots who are also located up your way -

Anybody else in Sydney also looking to get in on this offer as well?

Lemme know...

Last edited:
Thanks to Ausposts (SnailMail) 9 day trek from Melbourne to Rockhampton, the batteries have finally arrived.

@Solo-Loco wasn't kidding about the kilometres of tape and bubble wrap, everything turned up in perfect condition

The batteries are brand new as delivered from 3DR and still sealed in their bags.

And the most important criteria

So I am a very happy camper, 4 brand new (although 4 years old from manufacturing) Solo batteries.
Over the next couple of days I will be conditioning and running these batteries.

I will report back here with findings which I expect to be good as I have done a lot of work with older LiPo batteries.
These were in perfect storage mode, as you can see, and should last for decades without degradation.

Thanks @Solo-Loco for your efforts

Reactions: jimloss
G'day,

Yup - I'm pretty new to this Forum, ( having only just landed my first pair of Solos a short while ago. )

Nevertheless, beyond my recent purchase of a pair of Solos - I have also just secured a small quantity of brand new and unopened, ( completely sealed in original retail packaging ), 3DR Solo Batteries.

This recently acquired stack of brand new Batteries - are of the very last examples to be made by 3DR, ( circa December, 2015 ) - and as such, all have a Charge-Count of 'zero'.

I have already subtracted all of the Batteries from this supply that I think I'm ever going to need, and of these that I have 'broken open' for my own use, each of them perform flawlessly.

As it stands, ( with a total of three charge cycles, pressed into four of these Batteries ), a typical 17-to-18ish minute hover 'out-of-ground-effect' is delivered - all before hitting that critical 5% Battery level.

I have conducted each flight with the lowest possible amount of 'wind' that I can find - at an altitude of between seven to ten metres above ground, ( with an AMSL of 1300m at this location ) - using both of my Solos ‘suitably spaced apart’ to discharge each Battery, ( gotta love that good ol' Position Hold! )

Each Solo is unmodified / 100% factory-original Hardware using stock 3DR Props, running the latest stock 3DR Firmware, and flying 'light' with no Gimbal or Camera attached.

Initially, I am only keen to sell these brand new Batteries to Solo Pilots, who are also located specifically here in Melbourne - Victoria.

This way, each of you will be able to meet with me 'in person' - allowing you confirm that my intentions are in fact genuine - and that your resulting purchase is sound.

( Plus, any excuse to meet with anyone else - who flies these insane machines! )

I am asking AU$85.00 each for these Batteries.

This includes me insisting on meeting you Face-to-Face - at any 'Pub-of-your-choosing' across metropolitan Melbourne, or atop any Shopping Centre Car Park - ( so long as you bring your own Solo along as well! )

I am also offering these Batteries with a 30-day change-over Warranty - or a complete refund - Dealer's choice!

This additional commitment is to specifically serve the 3DR Solo Community here in Australia - with some long overdue Battery replacement 'piece-of-mind'.

Once I’ve managed to suitably demonstrate my integrity to all of the Solo Pilots located here in Melbourne - I am then keen to lean against these Melbourne-based Pilots - via this Forum - as ‘testament-enough' to then be able to serve every other Solo Pilot here in Australia, ( who also require new Batteries, but unfortunately - are unable to meet with me due to the tyranny of distance. )

I am currently away on business at the moment, ( hence my current 1300m AMSL! ), but will be back home in Melbourne - well before the month is out.

So, all that remains to be asked is - Are there any Melbourne-based 3DR Solo Pilots out there, who just happen to be hungry for 'a-brand-new-Battery-or-two'?

Feel free to chime in below, or PM me for more details.

Cheers,

Solo-Loco
'Real Solo Pilots, bust Propellors for Breakfast!'
5pct? I personally try to never run mine much below 15pct. If you run em down too far, they just don't seem to come back as well. I've heard however, that there's a way to run them all the way down to zero pct and then do some kind of a referesh. Don't remember how that works tho.

I see you are heading up to Sydney on Thursday ,leaving Wednesday. I gather you are heading up the Hume highway. I would be keen to grab some batteries off you (can never have enough) I am in Cootamundra and can head out to Coolac (40km from home ) on the Hume and meet you there. The only problem is I am in Wagga on Wednesday for a couple of medical appointments So Wednesday is out as I am not sure what time we will get home. What day are you heading back down to Melbourne ?

I thought I would take advantage of you driving past but if the planets don't align that's ok, I only thought about it this morning

Rob,

Yup, I sure am.

I've just sent you a PM with my Mobile Number.
Gimme a Call, and we'll see if we can bring some extra Batteries along for the ride, 'just for you'...

Hear from you shortly -

@Doug Veraska,

At five percent remaining, the voltage output of the Battery Pack is still way, way, WAY above thirteen-odd volts.

Given that the widely accepted method on this Forum, ( that applies to Balancing the Cells in these Batteries ), is actually to run them all the way down to around twelve volts - I fail to see the issue here.

With that said though -

Sure, most Pilots elect to land their Ship anywhere from as high as the instant the fifteen percent Battery 'RTH/RTL' Alarm is triggered, right down to around that classically accepted 'ten percent remaining' mark.

For me personally, it's five percent - and it's five percent because I'm actually watching the more critical measurement that specifically determines 'damage to a Battery under load' - that being the Battery's voltage.

Unlike other battery chemistries, once you allow any individual Cell within our Battery Pack's to fall down to around 3.0-3.1V, you are indeed starting to hurt that Cell.

By maintaining a close watch on the Battery's voltage while in flight, and then dividing this number by four inside your head in real time - ( you know, because there are four Cells inside each Battery ) - you can stay well ahead of this 'danger point' for each Cell, without too much difficulty.

The upside to this, is that you'll even get to enjoy an extra couple of minutes airborne - all before having to finally 'put her down'...

The only downside to this, is that you have to occasionally Balance-the-Pack in order to ensure that while the Battery is discharging while airborne, you can be reasonably well assured that each Cell is in fact discharging - at a rate similar to the other Cells inside the Pack.

And this my fellow Pilots, is where those little 'Battery Analysis Tools' can come in real handy!

The immediate 'testing' of Battery after flight, ( with one of these tools ), allows you to confirm without fear - that you are indeed keeping each Cell well above this critical discharge 'danger point'.

Just remember to give each Battery at least an hour to cool down after it lands, ( preferably two hours ), before submitting it for its next thumping on the Charger - as the other great enemy of this specific battery chemistry is of course, heat...

'Nuff said -

Last edited:
Rob,

Yup, I sure am.

I've just sent you a PM with my Mobile Number.
Gimme a Call, and we'll see if we can bring some extra Batteries along for the ride, 'just for you'...

Hear from you shortly -

Thanks for taking my call and the great chat about Solo, always good to talk to a fellow solo flyer, not a lot of us in Australia.

Look forward to meeting you and picking up some batteries on your return trip on Sunday.

Cheers

Rob

Rob,

Looking forward to catching up with you too -

I've already loaded your box of four Batteries into the Car, and I'm looking forward to meeting you on my way back down from Sydney on Sunday.

Can't wait!

@Mike Boland,

Thanks for the fantastic update.

Mate, I couldn't be happier that you finally have all four of them up in Queensland with you - and all-safe-and-sound to boot too.

( Looks like you beat @carlphoto as well - re you getting all four of your Batteries, before I could get his up to Sydney for him instead... )

Can't wait to hear back from you, once you've managed to get a couple of cycles through'em -

Good news indeed!

Last edited:
Great to have a chat with you @Solo-Loco. Look forward to meeting up when you're here.
I didn't expect that you would be able to bring them up to Sydney!! Super Service!!
See you soon
C

Hey @Solo-Loco ... Justr wanted to say a big thanks for personally delivering the batteries to me last friday!! I now have a viable couple of Solos!! Had pretty much lost hope of finding some batteries for these things in Oz.
Thanks again

C

First flight with the batteries after a conditioning charge.
Charge was 86%
Flew for 12 minutes
Landed at 20%

Have rested and recharged the batteries
They now show 99% charge
Will be retesting this evening.

Excellent news Mike -

I'm wrapped that you're as pleased with them, as I knew that you would be.

Thanks for the quick-chat on the phone today as well - just let me know if you need any more...
(c;=

@carlphoto -

Mate, it really was my pleasure to finally catch up with you!
( Pity about all that damn rain though, eh? )

Let me know how you get on with all four of those brand new Batteries of yours as well, as I'm really keen to make sure that you're as happy as Mike is, with his four new Batteries.

Cheers Mate -
(c;=

@Robpower -

Well, I just knew that the late departure from Sydney was just gonna make it a little to hard for us to catch up with each other, on my way back down to Melbourne.

( At least I still offered to make the trek out to your Door, even though it would've been pretty late - but by my own admission, I was pretty relieved when you said, 'Relax - In the Mail's OK with me...' )

With this said, and with this now done - Check out these all-new photos Rob, just for you!

Thanks for the chat on the phone today to confirm all of the details, ( just sent you an SMS with your Tracking Number - )

IMG_2475.JPG

IMG_2476.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

Get ready to enjoy'em Mate, they're officially on the way!
(c;=

No probs Damo,

Can't believe the huge delay we had to deal with, while I was on the phone with you earlier today -
( Well, I s'pose it is what it should be - You know, with you being in Peru and all... )

Sit tight, Mate - Those eight will probably take a little longer to get to you than everyone else has had to wait so far, but at least you'll be able to track'em all the way to your Front Door!

I'll post some photos up here, the second they're on their way from this end -

Stand-by...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc