A lot of questions need help please

Reaction score
Hi,
I've had my 3dr solo for about 3weeks now . and need help with some things.
1. I tried the orbit feature and set the points and hit go and it just went straight across and down in altitude and eventually ended up crashing into the ground . if anybody knows what I'm doing wrong ?
2. I'm after like extended range antenna or something that I can go further away with , can anyone point me in the right direction in Sydney Australia preferably ?
3. What is the maximum altitude it can normally go to and if you go out of range will it just return to home?
4. With the gimbal /go pro it draining my battery much quicker with the gimbal connected roughly 12-15 mins running time of full battery and even though I have full battery on go pro it is still charging from the 3dr battery why is that? And is there a way to stop it draining so much?

Sorry for the noob questions just hard to find solid answers. Thanks

Dont take this the wrong way cuz I know you're excited to get up in the air but based on the questions you have it seems that you haven't done enough reading. Unfortunately the solo marketing team makes it seem like anyone should be able to fly by simply attaching the battery and watching the flight school videos on the app. Don't attempt anymore flight until you've done more research. And just so you realize that I'm not trying to be an ass please feel free to contact me directly via the messaging system of this forum and I'll answer any questions you have ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont take this the wrong way cuz I know you're excited to get up in the air but based on the questions you have it seems that you haven't done enough reading. Unfortunately the solo marketing team makes it seem like anyone should be able to fly by simply attaching the battery and watching the flight school videos on the app. Don't attempt anymore flight until you've done more research. And just so you realize that I'm not trying to be an ass please feel free to contact me directly via the messaging system of this forum and I'll answer any questions you have ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Tottaly agree with @nuggetz !!
I would also recommend not flying your solo Untill you've done enough reading till you think your comfortable in flying your solo!
Your questions have answers to them in different threads on this forum..use the search to find what your looking for and do a lot of reading and you'll learn so much about your Solo..there's is a LOT of great information in this forum on how to and not to do..and troubleshooting and problem-solving !!

I watch hours and hours of YouTube and did tones of readings and research on the solo even before I even went out and bought my Solo..then I bought it 4 weeks later!!

Iv never had a quad copter before I bought my solo...so I really wanted to know the ins and outs before deciding to purchasing one ...and thank god I did :)

Just saying..

And Welcome to the Forum @Deejay ..there's a lot of great guys on this forum that have a lot of experience and knowledge and are willing to help...:)

Fly Smart
Fly safe
Fly 3DR

@nuggetz thanks nah your not being a ass at all, thanks for the reply.
@Del thanks for shooting me a reply as well.

So basically I have been searching in Google for the questions I have above just having no luck with any information that is like solid answer always find threads that everybody chucks there answers in so I'm not sure what to look for and I am not very knowledgeable in these areas.
Thank you both for the information and the little kick in the right dorection, feel bit stupid now asking the questions haha .

I have flown it a couple of times in Sydney, I feel confident flying it but reading what you said maybe I should be doing a lot more research into the 3dr .

Well thanks anyway will get onto searching through here for some info/answers .
Cheers
Have a good day

Don't forget to hit me up directly and I'll help you out. With regard to orbit or any other mode that requires solid gps lock to function make sure your locked on to GPS really good. Look at number of satellites and more importantly HDOP which should be well under 2.0.

As long as you launch Solo under those conditions it will always return home if it goes out of range of the controller. Also check to see what your return home altitude is set at. I set mine at 100feet so that it clears any trees on it's way back

Regarding extended range you should check to see if your flying in a congested wifi area. Use apps like Wi-Fi analyzer on android. Just.ordered an upgraded antenna. Haven't got it yet but people seem to get good range from them. It's called FPVLR for Solo.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Deejay
Hey nuggetz ,
Thanks mate its ok I will try searching the forums for some answers .
Don't want to waste your time.
Cheers

Hey nuggetz ,
Thanks mate its ok I will try searching the forums for some answers .
Don't want to waste your time.
Cheers
Na man I like helping people out. Hit me up. None of my friends are into this shit so it's nice to shoot the breeze with people with similar interests. I added a few answers in my last reply.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

@nuggetz thanks nah your not being a ass at all, thanks for the reply.
@Del thanks for shooting me a reply as well.

So basically I have been searching in Google for the questions I have above just having no luck with any information that is like solid answer always find threads that everybody chucks there answers in so I'm not sure what to look for and I am not very knowledgeable in these areas.
Thank you both for the information and the little kick in the right dorection, feel bit stupid now asking the questions haha .

I have flown it a couple of times in Sydney, I feel confident flying it but reading what you said maybe I should be doing a lot more research into the 3dr .

Well thanks anyway will get onto searching through here for some info/answers .
Cheers
Have a good day
Hey Deejay...you could find some of the answers by searching in Google...but I was referring to the search button in this forum...it would be a lot better searching in the forum to find any information your looking for :)

1. Just go through the steps again of performing the "Orbit", here is a link to 3DR's website, discussing the orbit function. Orbit | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology hope that helps. Word of advice though, until you can fully understand how each feature is used, I advice you to use the "right stick" to manually orbit the Solo. That way you can get a feel for it, and how it will act. Second, did you happen to move the "left stick" up or down while in orbit, as that would change the elevation of Solo?

2. The range extenders, well there are some out there. I can't fully vouch for them, as I have not tested any. My guess is just search, do some research and see what people's opinions are on them. Plus your price point will be a factor as well. I did look up these, as they are on pre-order, and the unit seems really small and claims to get 2.4miles (conditions do play a factor).
DSLRPros Horizon Range Extender Kit (3DR SOLO)

3. The max range the Solo can fly is .5 miles** (.8 km). As that is Solos range, so I am thinking it would be how high you can go as well. Yet here in the USA that does not matter, as the FAA rule is 400'. Also range extenders would play in to that factor, and make it even farther. As to the second part of your question, yes the Solo is designed to start coming back if it gets out of range. Yet be careful as, Solo might take the quickest path, and that may put it in the path of a obstacle to where you are at that point in time.

4. By default the Gimbal is designed to charge your GoPro. So I don't think there is a way to "not" charge the GoPro when in use. Yes it does drain the battery quicker (little bit quicker than I thought). I have not timed it just yet, but I don't think I can get the 20min. they claim, with the 3axis and GoPro installed. I had a battery read 90% on take off and then less than 5min in read 71%. But that could be about right, 20min goes fast when you are flying. Could always ask 3DR if they plan on having that feature on a upcoming app update. So you can update the Solo to not charge the GoPro.

I hope this helps you out, good luck and happy flying.

If you can't happen to find any answers, also contact 3DR. They are always happy to help, and respond pretty fast. If anyone should know, they would and that is what their support is for.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso