3DR, think I'll throwing in the towel

Reaction score
it's been a long time coming. I have had lots of fun flying Solo and got some cool shots..but i feel I give this company way too much credit/benefit of the doubt and keep getting burned...now seriously considering an exit strategy and sell everything, the whole 9 yards (backpack..gopro..5 batteries, solo, external monitor, many of the mods you can think of etc etc)

where to start...for those who are not aware of the story:

- pre-ordered the Solo a year ago before launch at 230% of the current price
was I expecting some early adopter growing pains? sure...but I thought they would at least maintain good communication, it's an American company after all with glowing customer service reviews, which is why I didn't back the competitors.
was disappointed at lack of communication right before/months after launch. They were practically dead silent
- gimbal severely delayed and when it finally shipped it was pretty buggy
- official app supports android 4.3+, big cavet was it was only a slim list and every other device had to use beta version
- "open-source" nature is questionable
- my first Solo crashed because of GPS loss during landing and drifted hard with minimal wind, no biggie I
got a second Solo
- only 'Made for Solo' accessory I'm interested in was the optical flow and parachute. 3DR doesn't want to bother with optical anymore and instead will rely on AR & Geofencing as a major selling point (lol more in a bit). It's gone community-based and still in very early stages. Parachute still unreleased and probably $$$
- customer support dwindling down (no phone line...doesn't affect me much)
- exiting consumer market (red flag...no Solo parts in the future most likely)
- MPCC bug (very annoying given how craptastic Solo flight-time is)
- GPS revised, silent improvement isn't uncommon but would be nice to be formally acknowledged when asked. Still, very frustrating when rev. A GPS gets plenty of sats after 5 min search but doesn't lock and you simply don't wanna risk it = lost opportunity
- lead Android guy no longer there, the Geofence/AR safety point is out the door for this major platform
- i don't mind waiting for the released/upcoming major update but I know it won't be bug-free just like every major update so far
- this last one is minor but basically the final nail on the coffin that put it over the dge: they reshared a photo by a 3DR owner on social media that shows a top-down view of a beach with a floatplane. I commented "encouraging us to fly over seaplane base...?" It was immediately deleted without an explanation. Their account so they have to the right to moderate but I was expecting a message to discuss the issue...but nah that's how you treat loyal customers and it certainly wasn't the first time they reshared work without considering portrayal of safety.

credit where due:
- second Solo has been pretty rock solid
- software team has been great schedule-wise, more features/smart shots have been added since launch (but obviously with the major cavet)

Any other early adopters/Solo fans that's also fed-up and has already or thinking about abandoning the company that practically gave up on us? If anything I'll probably stop wearing the complimentary 3DR shirt now, hahaha.

I'll likely forward this to Vu, I would love to hear his input (I've had pretty good experiences with him)

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: algojo
All valid points and I doubt anyone here would disagree. However, I think you've left off a significant point. What's the alternative you suggest would be better? The others have zero customer support, zero warranty, zero upgradable functions, and are even less responsive to their customers. I totally get being annoyed. I'm just not convinced the grass will be greener on the other side. Lesser of two evils sort of thing.

Got my Solo June 16, 2015,,one of the 1st. Never expected perfection from the start,,and didn't get it either. But made my choice and I am glad I did. Continual improvement, free upgrades, good CS and TS when I needed it, I have nothing to complain about and I'm pretty sure a lot of other Solo owner's are satisfied that they got what they paid for, and maybe more than they expected. Then their are those who see the glass as 1/2 empty. That's their choice. Guess I don't understand the downer post other than it is your perspective with an underlying hope that other's who read it will take a negative view also. Maybe not. But that's my opinion just like you have yours. Best of luck with your next choice. I'm more than happy with mine.

I just got my Solo a little over 2 months ago in April, so maybe the biggest majority of the growing pains had been corrected by that time. This was my first drone and I had never flown one at all until this one. My experience has been awesome with 3DR. Maybe because I can't compare it to anything else. I've had 2 flights that Solo would show that it had like 9 satellites but wouldn't tell me it was ready to fly. I would turn it off and go to another location and it would lock on ready to go in a matter of minutes so maybe those 2 flights (which were both in the same location) just were experiencing interference keeping it from getting good signal. I've noticed a bug or two in the latest update like the Pano mode not working or automatically switching to photo mode if you are in video mode. Hopefully things like this will be tweaked in a small update. My only experience with Customer Support was good. I took part in the buy one get one free battery sale this weekend and even though I entered the promo code and it added the free battery to my order, when I submitted and got my confirmation, it had removed the free battery. I contacted support and they went and reviewed my order and added the free battery for me. I know others have experiences that cause them to have negative things to say, but I did my research before buying my first drone beginning before the Solo was released. When they announced Solo, I said "that's the one I want." It took me several months before I finally had the money to get one but I couldn't be happier with my purchase (other than a little more range. Hopefully I can work on that in the future).

I don't blame you twitchy, Solo ain't all that. In my opinion it's not worth the money. By the way, How much for your gear?

Yah know I take my Solo with me most of the time. I went to 8,000 feet this week to shoot a customer vehicle in the mountains where it wasn't 117 degrees.

Follow mode works best for what I do and with dynamic altitude now available it changes how I do things. Solo has the best dynamic altitude I have used to date, not even my H with the Wizard wand is as good. For the most part my P3P is solid but recently I have been having app disconnects and it is difficult to take off or land in any wind. So far my Typhoon H is working out well but I am still learning the features and I am restricted to one battery.

On the other hand my Solo always seems to work, takes off easy in the wind and gets a shot. With the GP sometimes it's not the best shot; as you can see I tried a new filter here and the image is soft. I'm not a camera Guru and my customers are not expecting broadcast quality so it's fine for me.

Even the limited flight time is dealt with easily, I carry 4 batteries with me. I hot swap the batteries and I am getting about 14 minutes on the new batteries which is enough to set up and run a cable(so simple compared to the H or P3). And if not the cable is stored so I hot swap a battery and run it again.

Solo has the best CC of any of my MR's, Solo handles the best and in the last year my Solo has been reliable. Sure I had long GPS lock times and limited wi-fi range in the beginning but those days are over. With my FPVLR antenna's and new software my year old Solo hold's its own and in many ways outperforms my newer MR's IMO.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

All valid points and I doubt anyone here would disagree. However, I think you've left off a significant point. What's the alternative you suggest would be better? The others have zero customer support, zero warranty, zero upgradable functions, and are even less responsive to their customers. I totally get being annoyed. I'm just not convinced the grass will be greener on the other side. Lesser of two evils sort of thing.

None, I can't deny the smart shots make things easy/cinematic.

I doubt GoPro Karma will be significant but I'll be on the look-out.

When are Snapdragon-based multirotors coming? Who's making them?

How much for your gear?

Just toying with the idea right now...not listing it yet. I've invested so much and to be honest i'm daunted at how much money i'll lose selling it as a package haha.

Last edited:
None, I can't deny the smart shots make things easy/cinematic.

I doubt GoPro Karma will be significant but I'll be on the look-out.

When are Snapdragon-based multirotors coming? Who's making them?

Just toying with the idea right now...not listing it yet. I've invested so much and to be honest i'm daunted at how much money i'll lose selling it as a package haha.
I feel your pain. I've invested over $2,000 in solo and accessories. I can probably only get back $600 if I'm lucky at the moment. Sucks...

it's been a long time coming. I have had lots of fun flying Solo and got some cool shots..but i feel I give this company way too much credit/benefit of the doubt and keep getting burned...now seriously considering an exit strategy and sell everything, the whole 9 yards (backpack..gopro..5 batteries, solo, external monitor, many of the mods you can think of etc etc)

where to start...for those who are not aware of the story:

- pre-ordered the Solo a year ago before launch at 230% of the current price
was I expecting some early adopter growing pains? sure...but I thought they would at least maintain good communication, it's an American company after all with glowing customer service reviews, which is why I didn't back the competitors.
was disappointed at lack of communication right before/months after launch. They were practically dead silent
- gimbal severely delayed and when it finally shipped it was pretty buggy
- official app supports android 4.3+, big cavet was it was only a slim list and every other device had to use beta version
- "open-source" nature is questionable
- my first Solo crashed because of GPS loss during landing and drifted hard with minimal wind, no biggie I
got a second Solo
- only 'Made for Solo' accessory I'm interested in was the optical flow and parachute. 3DR doesn't want to bother with optical anymore and instead will rely on AR & Geofencing as a major selling point (lol more in a bit). It's gone community-based and still in very early stages. Parachute still unreleased and probably $$$
- customer support dwindling down (no phone line...doesn't affect me much)
- exiting consumer market (red flag...no Solo parts in the future most likely)
- MPCC bug (very annoying given how craptastic Solo flight-time is)
- GPS revised, silent improvement isn't uncommon but would be nice to be formally acknowledged when asked. Still, very frustrating when rev. A GPS gets plenty of sats after 5 min search but doesn't lock and you simply don't wanna risk it = lost opportunity
- lead Android guy no longer there, the Geofence/AR safety point is out the door for this major platform
- i don't mind waiting for the released/upcoming major update but I know it won't be bug-free just like every major update so far
- this last one is minor but basically the final nail on the coffin that put it over the dge: they reshared a photo by a 3DR owner on social media that shows a top-down view of a beach with a floatplane. I commented "encouraging us to fly over seaplane base...?" It was immediately deleted without an explanation. Their account so they have to the right to moderate but I was expecting a message to discuss the issue...but nah that's how you treat loyal customers and it certainly wasn't the first time they reshared work without considering portrayal of safety.

credit where due:
- second Solo has been pretty rock solid
- software team has been great schedule-wise, more features/smart shots have been added since launch (but obviously with the major cavet)

Any other early adopters/Solo fans that's also fed-up and has already or thinking about abandoning the company that practically gave up on us? If anything I'll probably stop wearing the complimentary 3DR shirt now, hahaha.

I'll likely forward this to Vu, I would love to hear his input (I've had pretty good experiences with him)

Thank you for reading.
Good post bud get yourself a typhoon h. Awesome

I found it interesting the ages of the respondents for the various replies, seems it has some influence. Over 50 were pro and those around 25 years were cons, then there is always an oddball in the group....;)

@twitchyzero I think you're trying to justify buyer's remorse and attempting to qualify that it's Solo rather than some other source for the short comings. You could take it on the chin and get rid of Solo and just move on. Or you could stick it out and learn to resolve or work with these perceived short comings.

Regardless of the platform chosen you're going to have issues, whether factory defect or user fault. Learning how to resolve either will provide you with better control over your platform's performance and in turn your abilities to choose better the next go around...it's the experiences gained that makes us smarter or having the ability to see thru the clutter of propaganda by others.

When I bought my DJl P2V+V2 I had the same expectation as you stated about Solo. The first year of ownership were promises of software features, none appeared. I had connection issues and wifi module cratered, I spent nearly $700 resolving to as promised abilities. DJl never accepted responsibilities other than to offer up the V3 and then later the P3, both with additional problems to resolve by the user, as they were never admitted by DJl as a problem. I never bashed DJl, I took it on the chin and choose to wait it out until Solo.

I hope you get the point I was trying to make. If not, I wish you the best of luck into the future. Solo is the platform you want to keep and learn from...

People want instant gratification in this instant information age and don't want to take the time to actually learn the craft. Every younger person suffers from ADD. Don't believe me? Take away their cell phone for an hour and watch them twitch and go crazy. Not aimed at anybody in particular....just a general human observation in 2016.

My dads first RC airplane in the 60s had one single button on the controller. One. Nothing else. You could do everything with that one button lol. It took a lot of flying and learning. Was that 3 rapid button presses to get it to descend? Or 5? You had to actually know everything and couldn't even get up in the air unless you already pretty much did know. Now you just press a button and expect it to do everything.

Reactions: Maddog and fpvsteve
I found it interesting the ages of the respondents for the various replies, seems it has some influence. Over 50 were pro and those around 25 years were cons, then there is always an oddball in the group....;)

@twitchyzero I think you're trying to justify buyer's remorse and attempting to qualify that it's Solo rather than some other source for the short comings. You could take it on the chin and get rid of Solo and just move on. Or you could stick it out and learn to resolve or work with these perceived short comings.

Regardless of the platform chosen you're going to have issues, whether factory defect or user fault. Learning how to resolve either will provide you with better control over your platform's performance and in turn your abilities to choose better the next go around...it's the experiences gained that makes us smarter or having the ability to see thru the clutter of propaganda by others.

When I bought my DJl P2V+V2 I had the same expectation as you stated about Solo. The first year of ownership were promises of software features, none appeared. I had connection issues and wifi module cratered, I spent nearly $700 resolving to as promised abilities. DJl never accepted responsibilities other than to offer up the V3 and then later the P3, both with additional problems to resolve by the user, as they were never admitted by DJl as a problem. I never bashed DJl, I took it on the chin and choose to wait it out until Solo.

I hope you get the point I was trying to make. If not, I wish you the best of luck into the future. Solo is the platform you want to keep and learn from...
I'd be interested to hear what the percentages of those people are flying enthusiasts and hobbyists, or people who work in film and video production/photography. I think there would definitely be a long list on both sides, as one wants the open source and long flights and the other wants to get the shot.
I'm a total noob when it comes to drones. 1 year in with P3 and last couple of months with Solo. My goal is to eventually fly bigger rigs with dslr and red/arri cams so I practice almost daily like a crazy SOB - lately a ton on manual so I dont become another statistic.
And I KNOW I don;t have enough flight time to offer any life experience.... BUT -
For myself, I work in film and video production, and I'm completely blown away that Solo's allowed me to recreate EVERY aerial shot that Ive imagined for some of my projects and with ease. Miles ahead of what I could do with P3.
For me, the gig is to plan the shot - get the shot- move on. And this is the tool that does this for me.
As soon as my SFOC gets approved it's go time.

Reactions: SARDG and Maddog
People want instant gratification in this instant information age and don't want to take the time to actually learn the craft. Every younger person suffers from ADD. Don't believe me? Take away their cell phone for an hour and watch them twitch and go crazy. Not aimed at anybody in particular....just a general human observation in 2016.

My dads first RC airplane in the 60s had one single button on the controller. One. Nothing else. You could do everything with that one button lol. It took a lot of flying and learning. Was that 3 rapid button presses to get it to descend? Or 5? You had to actually know everything and couldn't even get up in the air unless you already pretty much did know. Now you just press a button and expect it to do everything.
Well said.
After all, it's about the skills to fly such a thing.
Learning to fly a RC model is like starting as a beginner to operate a drone in Stabilize mode when you compare to a trainer plane, or even to Sports mode when you compare it to something more sophisticated.

It's less about age, it's more about the in my eyes wrong perception that today everything has to be automated and controlled for 100% safety to avoid any learning curves.

The manufacturers, in particular 3DR are fueling this trend with generous RMAs implying that in case something goes wrong and I crash, I simply can make a claim, if needed in public to enforce pressure, instead of learning about the basics of flying.

After GPS enforced nofly zones, next will be automatic detection of obstacles. And when I steer my drone into a building, I can sue the manufacturer for a malfunctioning service. Just speculating but I am sure that this will be the next frenzy in the forums :)

If solo frustrates you then you need to ask if this is the right hobby for you.
None of these things are out of the box perfect none.

From what I have read on other forums including the ra ra H it is no different

Cracks me up when people say .... I missed a shoot with a client because my solo would not lock.
Well you might want to look at your business practices first.
My guess is many of these people are not professionals at all.
The Pros plan for issues, and practice their craft.

I was not making an age related bash, it was an observation to who replied and with what. I know some amazing brilliant kids that hold my envy for wanting to be a younger man in today's world...knowing what I know now kind of thing.

Twitchy was just expressing his frustration with how he sees it, I fully understand and was just offering a perspective to see a brighter side to his dilemma.

I'd be interested to hear what the percentages of those people are flying enthusiasts and hobbyists, or people who work in film and video production/photography.
I'd put that question to @EyeWingsuit , I think with his vantage point he could provide a close answer if not an educated answer...but then that would be another topic...start another thread or poll with that question and tag him in your post....

Me personally, I think 99% would like to turn the endeavor into a money machine...you name it as the sky is the limit.

There's no need for labeling/stereotyping millennials here...I tried dealing with many of the shortcomings by dumping considerable amount on mods for an entire year.
mediocre range = higher gain antenna, legs in shot, sliders, vibrations in gimbal...no hardware mod is an end-all be-all so I'll rely on post stabilization, balancing weights and filters. I'm sure I'm missing a few more. Trust me, if I wanted instant gratification I wouldn't even have bothered backing Solo, a relatively unknown product at the time of ordering.

I gain nothing from bashing 3DR...I feel my initial post is reflective and honest of my experiences. I would hardly call the headaches perceived....some are subjective sure others are purely objective. If you can put a positive spin to them exiting consumer space, taking away upcoming selling points because they lost lead developers and non-transparent communication and silence on major issues then I'd argue that's blind loyalty.

I have no problem adming 3DR Solo is my first quad. It was promised to be easy, set-up your frames and off you go. I familiarize myself with fly:manual only for emergency purposes during GPS loss.. If you're wealthy or have insurance to cover loss, I'm happy for you but I won't risk flying without GPS. I'm just a hobbyist for photography and now multirotors. If it's a user-error I'll take the responsibilities. I just don't feel Solo is a confident/stable platform.

Members here can criticize the early object avoidance and other nanny features...I'd say better safe than sorry, it's hardly a bad idea having options. Not everyone flying has hundreds and hundreds of flying hours under their belt nor is it a requirement to enjoy this hobby.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig