3DR, think I'll throwing in the towel

I realized recently other threads have mirrored my concerns...but more so mostly to do with bugs that's killed their Solo with the 2.4 update.

Not complete new members too, I checked most have been here for a year or so.

Eyewing, what's this movie called?

wait'll you see the footage captured with the Solo. Pretty intense. A hex/octa couldn't have done it in the tight confines.

From someone who once worked full time in production on the camera side; only a fool would suggest that production wouldn't use the tool that fits the call. I was using GoPro's on shows like IceTruckers before half the people in the world knew what a GoPro was. And when Hollywood did learn of GoPro, all the low-level measurebaters spent zillions of words on internet forums telling me that I was stupid because the GoPro didn't do 4:4:4 uncompressed HD blah blah blah... A creative is a creative. Tools either aid or inspire creativity.

I realized recently other threads have mirrored my concerns...but more so mostly to do with bugs that's killed their Solo with the 2.4 update.

Not complete new members too, I checked most have been here for a year or so.

Eyewing, what's this movie called?
13 Hours (2016) - IMDb

Watch for the BTS coming from 3DR very soon.

All valid points and I doubt anyone here would disagree. However, I think you've left off a significant point. What's the alternative you suggest would be better? The others have zero customer support, zero warranty, zero upgradable functions, and are even less responsive to their customers. I totally get being annoyed. I'm just not convinced the grass will be greener on the other side. Lesser of two evils sort of thing.

I would like to see 3DR offer a care plan like DJI.

I would like to see 3DR offer a care plan like DJI.

What, offering to refund a Solo purchase no questions asked, for 30 days isn't enough? Or..the only company that gathers flight logs, and if you have a flyaway or crash, they'll examine the logs. And if *anything* in the flight log points to part failure within the year, they replace everything, including the GoPro on the front of your vehicle.
DJI's "care" program doesn't do anything like that.

You can't easily field-replace parts on any DJI, and the P4 has taken repairs to a completely new level compared to the P-P3Standard/Advanced/4K/Pro. A Solo can be entirely built from the ground up within approx 90 mins (assuming a small level of knowledge and experience with electronics). A motorpod doesn't even require a soldering iron.

with their warranty it never made sense.
now if you fly recklessly then maybe insure against doing dumb thngs I could see some people needing to do that.
Crashed only a handful of times, all my fault and have not broken anything yet except props

Reactions: bluesgeek
From someone who works full time in entertainment, I can tell you 100% that if a production has more than pennies to spend on a shoot, they are using a heavy duty octocopter with a 5d or a red, with experienced pilot/camera op crew. No production with any money is going to use a Solo.
Dude I JUST finished 3 features back to back ( 3.5 mil budget at min ) and on 2 of them the solo was used and the 3rd they used a p4. While I agree a small few productions like to spend frivolously, the majority are about saving as much $$$$$ on their production as possible. Depending on the specifics of the shot, they are NOT going to put a 50k rig in the air to get a shot they can get with a 3k drone. FACT.
Id LOVE to hear the conversation with the production managers over this.

Last edited:
What, offering to refund a Solo purchase no questions asked, for 30 days isn't enough? Or..the only company that gathers flight logs, and if you have a flyaway or crash, they'll examine the logs. And if *anything* in the flight log points to part failure within the year, they replace everything, including the GoPro on the front of your vehicle.
DJI's "care" program doesn't do anything like that.

You can't easily field-replace parts on any DJI, and the P4 has taken repairs to a completely new level compared to the P-P3Standard/Advanced/4K/Pro. A Solo can be entirely built from the ground up within approx 90 mins (assuming a small level of knowledge and experience with electronics). A motorpod doesn't even require a soldering iron.

I agree with everything you said.

with their warranty it never made sense.
now if you fly recklessly then maybe insure against doing dumb thngs I could see some people needing to do that.
Crashed only a handful of times, all my fault and have not broken anything yet except props

And I agree with everything you said.

My suggestion for a care plan is so that the dumb user (me) has a way to pay monthly into some sort of repair plan. If you take a look at the first and last clip here you'll understand why I may be thinking ahead to a way to ease the pain of a lump sum cash outlay that is inevitable in my future doing low height close work.

If you'd like you can send $50 a month to me and I'll hold onto it for you for a simple 5% monthly fee. Should be able to get a brand new 2nd solo after a year or so ;)

it's been a long time coming. I have had lots of fun flying Solo and got some cool shots..but i feel I give this company way too much credit/benefit of the doubt and keep getting burned...now seriously considering an exit strategy and sell everything, the whole 9 yards (backpack..gopro..5 batteries, solo, external monitor, many of the mods you can think of etc etc)

where to start...for those who are not aware of the story:

- pre-ordered the Solo a year ago before launch at 230% of the current price
was I expecting some early adopter growing pains? sure...but I thought they would at least maintain good communication, it's an American company after all with glowing customer service reviews, which is why I didn't back the competitors.
was disappointed at lack of communication right before/months after launch. They were practically dead silent
- gimbal severely delayed and when it finally shipped it was pretty buggy
- official app supports android 4.3+, big cavet was it was only a slim list and every other device had to use beta version
- "open-source" nature is questionable
- my first Solo crashed because of GPS loss during landing and drifted hard with minimal wind, no biggie I
got a second Solo
- only 'Made for Solo' accessory I'm interested in was the optical flow and parachute. 3DR doesn't want to bother with optical anymore and instead will rely on AR & Geofencing as a major selling point (lol more in a bit). It's gone community-based and still in very early stages. Parachute still unreleased and probably $$$
- customer support dwindling down (no phone line...doesn't affect me much)
- exiting consumer market (red flag...no Solo parts in the future most likely)
- MPCC bug (very annoying given how craptastic Solo flight-time is)
- GPS revised, silent improvement isn't uncommon but would be nice to be formally acknowledged when asked. Still, very frustrating when rev. A GPS gets plenty of sats after 5 min search but doesn't lock and you simply don't wanna risk it = lost opportunity
- lead Android guy no longer there, the Geofence/AR safety point is out the door for this major platform
- i don't mind waiting for the released/upcoming major update but I know it won't be bug-free just like every major update so far
- this last one is minor but basically the final nail on the coffin that put it over the dge: they reshared a photo by a 3DR owner on social media that shows a top-down view of a beach with a floatplane. I commented "encouraging us to fly over seaplane base...?" It was immediately deleted without an explanation. Their account so they have to the right to moderate but I was expecting a message to discuss the issue...but nah that's how you treat loyal customers and it certainly wasn't the first time they reshared work without considering portrayal of safety.

credit where due:
- second Solo has been pretty rock solid
- software team has been great schedule-wise, more features/smart shots have been added since launch (but obviously with the major cavet)

Any other early adopters/Solo fans that's also fed-up and has already or thinking about abandoning the company that practically gave up on us? If anything I'll probably stop wearing the complimentary 3DR shirt now, hahaha.

I'll likely forward this to Vu, I would love to hear his input (I've had pretty good experiences with him)

Thank you for reading.
You got a shirt.....wtf!!! I'm right with you and have been saying the same thing over a year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40